D-day 9th Feb 2013

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: D-day 9th Feb 2013

Postby Jessjess » 11 Feb 2013, 22:18

How are you doing? I hope you are managing okay. I know that the day after surgery is the hardest. I sent a private message as well to check on you! Image
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby fedupandsore » 12 Feb 2013, 15:22

Hi everyone
JessJess - thank you so much for your instructions and pm. It's very kind of you.
Just to update - I'm doing pretty well :) I'm not in too much pain now. Just a little uncomfortable at times. I'm still doing my sitzs baths throughout the day and after BMs.
I have been having BMs but they're not what I would call 'proper' ones. But I'm happy that something is moving down there, it will all take time. The hardest part for me is trying not to strain as that became natural to me before the surgery. But when I feel the urge I run the hot water tap and run warm water on my wrist. I find this helps me to relax and not to strain.
My surgeon told me to insert a finger daily to remove the 'crud'. I just can not face doing that and figured that if I'm having BMs then they will be shifting anything that needs to come out. Do you think? Or do you really think I need to be poking my finger up there?
Thank you so much for everyone's help and support on this site, it's been amazing! It's also great to know what's 'normal' :)
I hope everyone is doing well xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jessjess » 12 Feb 2013, 16:13

So glad you are doing better! I have had to adjust to the new "correct" way to have a BM. Just let it come naturally and then wait and if it does not come naturally again after a few minutes, then get up and be done with it.
I don't know about poking your finger in there. i haven't done that and I would rather not! I did not have a fistula and if this is what your doctor is referring to, then I have no idea. There are a couple of folks here on the board that have had fistula/absess surgery. I bet they would know if that's the case. Edit: see note below
Last edited by Jessjess on 12 Feb 2013, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jessjess » 12 Feb 2013, 16:24

Here is some info about the fistula "crud" (this is under the Fistual Surgery sticky note at the top of the page):
Exudate - This is the by-product of healing that those going through open wound healing will start seeing in the wound at about 5 days post-op. At first glance, you may think you have an infection since there will be little gobs of "gunk" in your wound. Exudate can be white, yellowish, grayish, greenish or light brown. Exudate can also have a slight odor, it is normal.
Strong odor with pain, redness and swelling usually indicates infection, call your doctor ASAP.
Exudate is a collection of dead cells and other materials discarded as your body heals itself. It needs to be gently cleaned out of the wound twice daily and this is part of role of packing changes. Exudate can be rinsed out of the wound bed with a hand-held shower sprayer, just flush the entire wound out. You may go though periods of very heavy exudate drainage (lots of healing going on) or minimal exudate drainage (healing slowing down).
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby fedupandsore » 13 Feb 2013, 02:06

Great thanks for that JessJess. I'll just use the shower head to wash it then rather than my finger. I have no packing that needs to be changed, he said it was dissolvable so at least that's one thing I don't have to worry about xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby fedupandsore » 13 Feb 2013, 02:38

This morning I've had the best BM so far :) a substantial amount of stool movement and no blood :) just having a soak in a sitz bath now :D xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby Mamalucia » 13 Feb 2013, 06:46

Yaaaay!! Sounds like major progress!! I'm excited for you!! Hopefully there wont be any but Don't get discouraged if you end up with a set back...it'll only be temporary!! Best of luck!!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby fedupandsore » 13 Feb 2013, 07:32

Thanks mamalucia! :D
I'm still taking it very easy, I don't want to peak too early.
I am still trying to debate whether I should return to work on Monday (being sat down all day) or whether to take another week :-/
Xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessjess » 13 Feb 2013, 07:43

That's great! So glad to hear that you improving! Isn't it NICE. Image
As far as work is concerned, I would suggest that you take another few days so that you give yourself a full 2 week recovery. I am on my 10th recovery day and it is still difficult for me to sit for more than an hour. I am still using the gauze pad between my butt so the stitches will not irritate me. I'm not sure when I will be able to stop using the gauze. I have a call into the nurse to get info.
It's slow progress and I am trying to be active a little more each day. This Monday (2 weeks post-op) I will return to work expecting that I will need to be up and down from my desk, not sitting for too long.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mamalucia » 13 Feb 2013, 08:34

Listen to your body! Try performing at home as you would at work. If u have a desk job and work on computers all day try to do that at home just to see how long you can hold out. See how you feel the following day as well after the attempt just to make sure there isn't a delayed setback. Your body will let you know if your ready or not and by doing it at home first you'll be able to know for sure.
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12