Cost of LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Cost of LIS?

Postby Luka » 06 Mar 2013, 02:53

Just for the record, I'm curious how much LIS costs for everyone who has had it (specifically without health insurance, though). If anyone knows a good ballpark figure, I'd be interested.
I'm not considering surgery right now (hopefully I never will!) since I currently don't have health insurance, but I'd like to know approximately how much it costs for future reference. Also, I've heard botox shots cost a lot, too. Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to get LIS and skip the botox (which I've heard requires multiple rounds of shots and is not permanent)? I haven't heard many good success stories about the botox and if I ever really needed the LIS surgery, I would probably shoot for that.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Cost of LIS?

Postby hopefulbutt » 06 Mar 2013, 08:22

Luka, I also have no insurance. I paid about $250 for the botox shots (20 units). I am not sure about LIS. I've heard it depends on where you have it done. Also, the hospitals often have payments plans or charites to help. I will have to go that way if it ever comes to LIS.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby becsbum » 06 Mar 2013, 10:36

I just had LIS and although I have insurance, I saw what the billed amounts were for all but the surgeon's fee. Surgery center billed about $7k and anesthesia billed about $900. My guess is surgeon will bill about the same as anesthesia. It is all such a racket, as insurance only pays 1/2 those charges yet the uninsured must pay the full amount!!
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby aimonaali » 06 Mar 2013, 10:45

My experience might not be so helpful to you since I had my LIS done in Finland where I live. I don't remember the exact amount but it was somewhere around 600 euros, which is something like 800 dollars I guess. And I had it done in a private clinic, the public one would have been much cheaper.
We don't really have health insurances here. Healthcare is pretty much payed with tax money. When you go private you have to pay.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 Mar 2013, 11:25

The cost for my LIS without insurance (private pay) with a top colorectal surgeon (CRS) in South Carolina was $1,500 for the LIS surgery and $350 for the anesthesia in the physician's surgical suite (not a hospital). Most doctors will give a substantial cash discount (as much as 50%).
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Luka » 06 Mar 2013, 15:31

Thanks everyone for the info! I guess I can get financial help if I don't have insurance (if it comes down to me needing the LIS, which I hope and pray I will never have to have). But it's good to know I can get financial help if I need it. I thought I would have to pay $15,000 or something from what I read elsewhere! Now I feel relieved that isn't the case.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby coconut » 06 Mar 2013, 15:35

Luka wrote:Thanks everyone for the info! I guess I can get financial help if I don't have insurance (if it comes down to me needing the LIS, which I hope and pray I will never have to have). But it's good to know I can get financial help if I need it. I thought I would have to pay $15,000 or something from what I read elsewhere! Now I feel relieved that isn't the case.

Make sure you ask if there are any options to reduce the price for uninsured people. You have to ask. But many hospitals have programs you can sign up for. That way you'll only have to pay what the insurance agencies pay.
I can't believe that the European people posting here are only paying $800 for private (non-government funded) care!!! Compared to $7000 for the same treatment here. That really puts my sphincter in a knot.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Luka » 02 Sep 2013, 14:10

Can anyone else tell me what they paid for LIS (in the United States, without health insurance)? There is an outpatient surgery center nearby where the CRS is, so I'm assuming it would be done in there and not in the main hospital. I would be getting general anesthesia (I want to be completely put out).
I'm trying to get my financial situation together. I have a few thousand in savings in case I need surgery (I'm seeing a CRS this month), but I'm not sure if it would be enough to cover it. I'm really stressed out about this. : ( I'd love to get a nice job somewhere to cover medical expenses and possibly provide health insurance, but my condition varies so much. Some weeks I hardly have any pain, while other weeks I just want to crawl into a hole and die. I don't think I could handle a job outside home because the fissure is so unpredictable.
I'm also curious about how much Botox costs. I am hesitant to try it in case it doesn't work. Then I'd be out of that money if I need LIS.
Thanks everyone for your help. I hope everyone is doing better and that we all heal this horrible thing.
Luka
VIP

Postby dent1 » 02 Sep 2013, 14:28

LIS with my surgeon in Bristol UK cost Ј1500 for inclusive care- The surgical treatment I had  - V - Y endoanaladvancement flap was Ј2230
inclusive care covered pre and post op assessments, 1 night hospital stay but longer if needed, all operation/surgery costs and all meds to take home and 6 physio appointments if needed. Also covers re-addmission if needed.
Last edited by dent1 on 04 Sep 2013, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby omyrear » 03 Sep 2013, 20:07

I had LIS and (unexpected) fistulotomy in Tennessee under what I guess is referred to as "twilight" sedation (I had propofol and was completely out of it throughout the entire procedure, but woke up easily & quickly). It was done in the outpatient surgery center of a large hospital. I do have insurance but saw the full bill. The hospital portion was almost $4200 (which includes the anesthesia). My surgeon's portion for the LIS was supposed to be $650 but ended up costing almost $1,000 due to the fistulotomy. My surgeon is out of network for my insurance, so I am responsible for her fee. She did agree to do the LIS for a 25% discount (I'm hoping she will agree to the same for the fistulotomy). So it is definitely worth it to discuss a possible discount with your CRS and the hospital or surgery center. Don't be afraid to ask. They will also set up a payment plan for you so you can spread the cost out over several months.
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?