Planning on having LIS Done, should I go ahead ?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Planning on having LIS Done, should I go ahead ?

Postby coconut » 11 Mar 2013, 14:43

Actually, you sound a bit like me before I decided on the surgery. I switched to Nifedipine because the diltiazin was causing a rash, but after switching I went steadily down hill. I just never responded well. I haven't heard of other people responding poorly to the nif. so I assumed it was just something weird about me.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby JHH » 11 Mar 2013, 14:58

OK, one month on nitro without improvement. Either its not working for your spasms, or something else is going on then.
5 days is too ealy to tell.
Still having hard stools? You really really need to figure out how to keep those stools soft and easy to pass, if you are going to solve this without LIS. This is a very important part of healing.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby coconut » 11 Mar 2013, 15:10

venki wrote:I've had the fissure for more than 2 yrs, the pain keeps coming on and off, and I also had profuse bleeding for quiet sometime. Coming back to using the creams, I was using Rectiv for a month but after my CRS prescribed Nefedipine I've been using that and yes it's only been 5 days since I started using them. But what I noticed is after last weeks appointment with the CSR the pain during and after BM have increased a lot. Last 2 days has been unbearable and I dint want to go thru with this pain for the next couple of weeks. I have been using Miralax but not found the right level I need to consume yet, somedays I feel constipated even after taking 1 CUP and I take another cup the same day, this produces too much of BM and inturn hurts more than being constipated. Wish I was able to come up with a proper dose of laxative since my stools are still a little harder. They are never consistent

Am I reading this correctly that you are taking two cups of miralax powder in one day? Image I'm not sure what that would do to a person.
I think maybe this isn't what you are saying at all and I should get off line until the percocet kicks back in. lol
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 11 Mar 2013, 15:56

Hi, miralax is safe to take daily and very adjustable. Many people take 2 doses a day. I don't think you meant 2 cups because you wouldn't be able to leave the bathroom if you took that much. Start out with one dose before bed and add a half dose in the morning. If you need to add more take a full dose in the morning. Be sure to eat and drink, if you don't eat enough you will get loose bms. Hope you find relief soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby coconut » 11 Mar 2013, 16:03

Maybe he meant two capfuls?
I'm sorry if I'm being offensive to anyone. I'm joking about the percocet, but its also a little real. I just realized I need to pull myself back in the real world, too.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby venki » 12 Mar 2013, 08:06

Yes, I meant 2 Caps full... I would be dead if it was 2 cups :D . I had a terrible episode last night, around 1.30 am I was feeling this burning sensation and was very uncomfortable, and by 2am I was up and in the sitz bath. The pain meter was at 10 and I had applied the pain ointment(Benzo 20%,LIDO 6%, TETRA4%), tried to sleep but again around 4.30 am couldnt take it anymore. I filled the tub with hot water and immersed myself for about 20 mins, applied nifedepine and tried to sleep again. I was in tears and my wife was really worried. Wasn't until 7 this morning that I really felt better. I'm sitting at work right now and feel good but I'm terrified at the thought of having a BM, I did have a capfull of Miralax last night, having a smoothie for Breakfast.
I so badly want to be done with this pain, never have experienced such trauma with anal fissures even though I've had them for quiet sometime.
I had veggies for dinner last night, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong to not have soft stools. Any advice would be really helpful.
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby coconut » 12 Mar 2013, 08:59

I'm sorry. That really sucks. And I'm sorry I didn't respond to you very compassionately yesterday. I'm in a good bit of pain and I also tend to "panic" a little - thinking that the pain will never end. The truth is that I can't really say yet wether the surgery worked for me. I'm less than a week in and the doctor did warn me that it would take at least 2 weeks before I felt any better.
I've totally been where you are. What helped me those 10s in to 5s and 6s on the pain scale was getting my poop soft to just before diarrhea and using acupuncture. But I still needed surgery in the end.
Glad to hear that the two cups was a typo! Some people have a really hard time getting their stools soft. Have you tried going veg? Some people are extra sensitive to the constipating factors in some animal products. It helps to just get rid of all of them for a while and see if that helps. You can always add them back later.
The main thing that makes me constipated is dehydration. If I don't get my 8 to 10 cups of water a day, or if I take anything diarrhetic without adding more water, I'm doomed.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby toomuch » 12 Mar 2013, 09:27

I had mine done last week and wish I had been for the surgery a long time ago. I know it is early days but already I can feel a difference and I am not screaming with pain for hours after a BM. Go for it, it helps more people than it doesnt
:)
toomuch
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby venki » 12 Mar 2013, 12:20

Yes, I've been on veggies the past few weeks, I'm considering to go vegan for as long as it helps cure the fissure. I'm going to try the coconut oil suppositories tonight and hoping they provide some relief.
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby coconut » 12 Mar 2013, 12:59

My first fissure was healed completely when I went vegan. Obviously, I wasn't so lucky the second time, but a lot of people have had success with it. If you need any advice with that, let me know.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist