Surrendering to the Knife

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surrendering to the Knife

Postby coconut » 17 Mar 2013, 10:44

suzyljank wrote:Hi, if you're starting to feel dependent on the percocet maybe your doctor can give you another kind of pain medication that isn't so addictive. Perocet is oxycodone and very addictive. Have you tried taking 1/2 a pill to see if you still get pain relief without the full dose. You could also take Aleve or Advil for any breakthrough pain. My husband just had a 3 hour surgery on his arm and shoulder this past thursday and he found aleve works wonders for break through pain, so much so he's cut way back on his prescription pain medicine.

The idea that alive might be able to touch this pain... I don't know what to say. You clearly haven't been in this kind of pain. Alieve does less than nothing, as it also causes stomach bleeding and pain, in addition to not working on the wound pain. Do you really think that I'd take narcotics when a simple OTC would work just as well? I'm glad that your husband is doing well, but your husband's surgery didn't leave him with a square inch of open wound, and he doesn't have to poop out of that wound everyday, unless they do shoulder surgery much differently than I think they do. I don't really see how that's even a little bit similar to this surgery.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 17 Mar 2013, 11:20

Glad to hear things are at least slightly improved (and not worse.) I think it goes a long way for the mental part of things when you can feel like you're finding a routine that feels like it's working. You're likely to still have setbacks as happens in any surgical recovery, but at least you can feel like you're taking more steps forward than backward.
Hoping you turn the corner with the pain soon. The best part of your update was to read you are being gentle with yourself. Glad to hear that. Gentle thoughts bring gentle biochemistry, which is healing biochemistry.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 17 Mar 2013, 11:37

Hi, I have experienced that kind of pain, I've gone through hemmie surgery. Than years later I developed a fissure that healed followed by another one that didn't. I had LIS in 2008 that didn't help much and am now going for a consult for an advancement flap surgery. So to say I have not experienced that kind of pain is just not true and I'm surprised you would lash out like that. Most people on this site have experienced excurciating pain and we have all helped each other with what works for us. What we share are merely suggestion. You stated you were having withdrawal symptoms. I merely made a suggestion. I found your remarks about my pain very hurtful. I hope everyone on this site heals and gets back to their lifes. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby coconut » 17 Mar 2013, 13:37

suzyljank wrote:Hi, I have experienced that kind of pain, I've gone through hemmie surgery. Than years later I developed a fissure that healed followed by another one that didn't. I had LIS in 2008 that didn't help much and am now going for a consult for an advancement flap surgery. So to say I have not experienced that kind of pain is just not true and I'm surprised you would lash out like that. Most people on this site have experienced excurciating pain and we have all helped each other with what works for us. What we share are merely suggestion. You stated you were having withdrawal symptoms. I merely made a suggestion. I found your remarks about my pain very hurtful. I hope everyone on this site heals and gets back to their lifes. Suzy

I was very hurt by your suggestion that I simply use an advil to take care of the pain that I'm in. I know that you've been in a lot of pain. That doesn't mean that you understand my situation completely. You aren't in my body and I'm guessing you didn't read the post a few up where I described what I experienced when I tried to go it without narcotic pain relievers. You also don't know the kind of pressure that I've been under to stop taking care of myself appropriately and give up the pain medication.
There are a lot of weird attitudes out there about narcotics in the US. People assume that if you need them for pain relief, you are probably drug crazed, or at least too weak. Doctors look at you skeptically, thinking you might be an addict. Random people make comments assuming you don't really need them. I can't count the number of times I've been told to simply take a bath, or take some tylonal, since this started. Its old, really old. Aren't you sick of being judged for your pain, and the things you need to do for it, too?
To top it off, I have to deal with my own feelings about being on a narcotic. I feel very conflicted and shamed by my needs here. I don't need people telling me stories about others who are able to be more "virtuous" than I with their pain management. I tried to just stop taking them and I wound up incapacitated and nearly suicidal. And for what? I'm not a addicted. I'm very clear about the risks of dependency and I have a plan for dealing with it. In this case, the kinder, gentler path is to allow myself the chemical pain management that our society has available, and that is narcotic medication.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 22 Mar 2013, 08:23

Day 14
Things are finally healing in my surgical sites. The LIS wound is pretty much closed and healed on the skin level at least. The skin tag removal site is a lot smaller and is beginning to look like raw skin instead of an exposed brain. (Sorry for the TMI again, but there really is no better way to describe it.)
My pain level is OK. Post BMs are becoming manageable. I still take a percocet before getting up in the morning, so that I can be sure that it will be in my system for that morning BM. I don't know why, but the morning one hurts worse than the evening BM, when I have one. Maybe the surgical site gets stiff over night?
I keep myself to 2 percocet a day because I know how to balance that with the stool softeners and miralax. I've also been cleaning the site with q-tips and balneol, which has kept fecal matter from impacting in the crevices of the wound, which I think had accelerated the healing a bit. And I use Balmex on my butt cheeks because the wound's weeping was making the skin all raw and irritated.
I would really like to be off the pain meds, as I think that my bowels will be healthier if I do. I'm thinking I'll try to go down to just one on Sunday, when I have the day off, so that I can just take care of myself. I've found that any reduction in the pain meds, even a 1/2 pill, bring withdrawal symptoms, so I have to plan for that.
This is beginning to look a little less horrorshow. Thank Goddess!
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 22 Mar 2013, 08:35

I was just looking back over this thread and I thought I'd update on the refill issue with the doctor, since I wrote about being worried about that.
I didn't even have to make an appointment. The nurse talked to me over the phone, asked how many pills I wanted and I picked up the script later that day.
Not even an issue. There's one thing I didn't need to worry about.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby CrackinUp » 22 Mar 2013, 08:38

Please you're getting better coconut :)
I would just like to say thank you for making me reconsider the whole squatting thing. You really made me think that I might be doing it wrong.
I've tried a new squat position and I can now go without pushing at all, and I'm finally pain free during and after a BM. I believe I will be able to heal fully now and shrink my skin tag.
I herby name this ultimate squat, the coconut curl :D
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby coconut » 22 Mar 2013, 08:45

CrackinUp wrote:Please you're getting better coconut :)
I would just like to say thank you for making me reconsider the whole squatting thing. You really made me think that I might be doing it wrong.
I've tried a new squat position and I can now go without pushing at all, and I'm finally pain free during and after a BM. I believe I will be able to heal fully now and shrink my skin tag.
I herby name this ultimate squat, the coconut curl :D

Image I'm glad you are pain free. I've also had to modify my squat post- surgery. I stopped starting the squat from standing on the paint cans after the surgery because it was too much pressure on the surgical wounds. I started sitting on the toilet and gingerly bring my feet up to the paint cans. Just this morning, I was able to stand on the cans and gently bring myself down into a fuller squat, holding onto the sink so that I don't do so with too much vigor. It takes a lot of figuring things out before most people can squat comfortably. If you think about it, we're basically teaching our muscles a whole new way of pooping.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby CrackinUp » 22 Mar 2013, 15:21

I love my new way of pooping... I'm actually looking forward to tomorrows coconut curl!!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby coconut » 24 Mar 2013, 16:14

CrackinUp wrote:I love my new way of pooping... I'm actually looking forward to tomorrows coconut curl!!

This is the only conceivable time when "I think of you when I poop" is a compliment. Image
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist