First visit with CRS today, and wanted to do surgery Friday?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: First visit with CRS today, and wanted to do surgery Friday?

Postby Savaici » 28 Mar 2013, 18:00

Here is a link about GTN:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12780574
I only eat about 25g of fibre daily, and you might might be eating a little too much and making your BMs too bulky. Do a search for fiber on here (search facility top right) and have a read. Also make sure you drink enough water. I have 84oz of water a day. Having a fissure is really a pain...and in more ways than one, as you can see.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Juls814 » 28 Mar 2013, 20:24

Thank you, I will ask the Dr. about that, and thanks for the advice about the fiber, I am going to read up on it. I drink alot of water, I am up all night in the bathroom.
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 29 Mar 2013, 07:27

Hi, so sorry you had a bad experience with your CRS but what he said isn't that unusual. When I first saw mine it was after 8 months of trying to treat myself, seeing my internist, then my gastro, then a colonoscopy. The results of the colonoscopy revealed a large fissure. My next visit was to the CRS, he examined me and said I needed surgery, because of all the pain I was in I already knew that. At that point I had enough. I had my surgery within a week of my appointment. Unfortunately LIS was not enough for me, I have so much scar tissue that I need flap surgery and when I saw him he explained what I needed done, told me to get a few other opinions if I wasn't sure and to take a week or two or three to think over what I wanted to do. It's the same doctor and he never pushed me. I think it all depends on how much pain you're willing to deal with and how much you trust the advice of your doctor. If he's recommending a LIS procedure and nothing more it's a very simple surgery. If you're uncomfortable with doing surgery get a few other opinions. In the end the choice is yours. Hope you find yourself on the road to recovery soon. All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Juls814 » 31 Mar 2013, 16:01

Hi Suzy,
Thank you. I am actually going to see if I can get another opinion. There are a couple of other factors here- this is my first fissure- I think? I mean I never had this pain before so I am assuming this is relatively new. I also think I sabotaged the healing process by trying to eat a lot of fiber, which included 12 grain bread ( wheat based). I really got constipated- I was going daily, using stool softeners, but I couldn't get it out, so it was 3 or 4 movements with excessive pushing- stupid I know, but I really felt it there..this site has been my best advice so far, and I do remember from a visit from a nutritionist a few years back, at her suggestion I stopped eating gluten and dairy, and my Bm's were easy and pretty regular. But after a while of doing that I went back to eating whatever I wanted, eventually I would have episodes of constipation, or even diarrea..I still didn't pay attention to it. This fissure outbreak, most of the fiber I was getting was from the bread- I just figured I wasn't getting a stomach ache, and it was a good way to get in fiber..I really think it backfired on me. After Savaici said that I might be getting too much fiber, I think I agree..past two days I have been pretty smooth, still have spasms for a few hours but I have been riding it out using baths, heating pads and ice packs- no pain medicine. I would like to see if the nifedipine could work- the CRS said flatly " no". But then again, his assistant examined me first, briefed him and when e came in the room he told me surgery- he hadn't even examined me..in fact, after he told me about surgery, risks, etc.. he started to leave and then came back and said" oh, I didn't even check your butt"..really?? As I said, you all here have been my biggest help, thank you, thank you.
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8