Hope with LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Hope with LIS

Postby ange246 » 30 Mar 2013, 21:01

Hi all,
I just joined to post about how I dealt with my AF and LIS to give some insight as well as to thank everyone on here for their contributions. I don't know what I would have done without all the wisdom on this forum.
So some background. I'm relatively young at 23. I've always had GI problems in the past though never ever had any problems with constipation which I thought very curious. These all probably stemmed from me being a naturally stressed out person. My diet was always healthy and full of fiber. I think the problem was because I didn't drink enough water. I'm currently in school for pharmacy so it was really difficult scheduling things around and having to make excuses for my specialized diet and not being able to go out.
I apparently had a chronic fissure with a very large (edematous) skin tag that developed and spontaneously healed until it retore. Went to a CRS who had me try nitroglycerin at first. Along with a modified diet and all, the cream did manage to bring my bm to be bearable. However, after a trial, it wasnt healing so I finally opted for surgery with skin tag removal. I had surgery on March 1, a friday. It was a good experience. I was asking the nurses and anesthesiologists about what drugs they were going to give me (pharmacy student here!) - midazolam and propofol. I woke up post surgery in a different room and lets just say that that was one of the most refreshing sleeps i have ever had. No wonder people get hooked on propofol. :o No pain right after the surgery, just some burning sensations. They gave me 20 percocets but I found that I didn't need them. From school and working at a pharmacy in the ghetto, I was a bit wary about percocets anyways for some reason. Also, the fact that narcotics were notorious for causing constipation freaked me out. I took Tylenol extra strength instead. No NSAIDs like ibuprofen because that thins the blood and may cause more bleeding. I was told to constantly put pressure on the site for the rest of the day.
Doctor said I would be able to get back to class on Monday, but good thing I had spring break that week. I would say it took me until Wednesday to feel a lot better. The leakage was minor, but it lasted a good week and a half. My early bm had blood, but very little. I had no problems with gas incontinence either which was lucky. I was able to work at the pharmacy the next Saturday with no problems. Though, it was hard when the other technicans would make jokes about how patients needed their "poopy pills" (docusate) while i was thinking in my head that i was actually taking them every day haha.
Throughout this time, I have been basically following my specialized diet. Lately, I've been slipping and it seems I might have minor retears and some small skin tags and just overall irritation, but I'm optimistic. It hasn't been that long since surgery, so I need to be more strict with my diet again.
Thanks for reading. I hope this gives some hope, especially to those who are on the younger side who are having this horrifying experience. AFs do not discriminate haha.
ange246

Topics: 1

Re: Hope with LIS

Postby marg6043 » 01 Apr 2013, 16:17

ange246, I am happy to see that you have a good recovery after your LIS, you are one of the lucky one, depending on how long you have your surgery done, it takes time to heal, some people heal faster than others.
Some people will have minor retears during the healing time but this ones heal faster.
You still need to watch your diet and be careful with the area of the surgery, specially where the skin tag was located the tissue may be tender for a while and it can cause some burning also.
As long as you don't have a major set back your road to recovery should be a smooth one.
Good luck. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Re: Hope with LIS

Postby Luka » 02 Apr 2013, 18:16

Thank you for sharing your story, ange246. I haven't had surgery for my chronic fissure, but it's an option if the creams don't heal me. I hope I don't have to go that route, but reading your story made me feel a bit better about it. I would hope I would be getting propofol, too. I heard that's great stuff for knocking you out right away and I definitely don't want to be awake for butt surgery!
Hope you are doing well and thanks for sharing. : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38