new here....fissure after hemorrhoidectomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new here....fissure after hemorrhoidectomy

Postby fissurehater » 16 Apr 2013, 18:41

Hello,
I found this board the other day and have been reading the many posts and am shocked at how many people suffer from this. I had a hemorrhoidectomy 5 months ago (horrible --AVOID at all costs!!!) and seemed to heal nicely. A couple of months ago I thought the bleeding and 'butt on fire' pain that returned was payback for not keeping up on the fiber intake. Finally called the CRS and talked to the nurse and she said it sounded like a fissure and when I said it felt like I was passing broken glass, she said "yep, that's how people describe it". I got the diltiazem cream and some lidocaine and started that while I wait for my appt. It doesn't help that I have a sit-down computer job and squirm all day trying to find a comfy position to sit. I never found anything comfy to sit on after the hemorrhoidectomy either. Image This board is very helpful so far!
fissurehater

Topics: 1

Re: new here....fissure after hemorrhoidectomy

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 16 Apr 2013, 21:11

How bad was the hemorrhoidectomy? My CRS said it is the most painful surgery he does (even more painful than major colon cancer surgeries) and that he hates to even do it.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 17 Apr 2013, 01:36

Hi, and welcome to the board!!
I too developed my fissure after hem surgery! By looking on these boards, it seems quite common.
Sitting for work must be soooo uncomfortable. I really don't know the answer to that one. Some people swear by heated pads, some use donut cushions..... I would try a few things out and see what works for you!
I hope you find some relief with the creams whilst you are waiting!
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby fissurehater » 17 Apr 2013, 14:21

I tried the red rubber donut cushion but that was too hard on the legs. I bought an egg crate mattress and cut it up and stacked it and cut a hole in the middle but it just went too flat. Pillows are no good. Still searching for something.
as for the hem surgery....worse than childbirth and I had 2 kids with no epidural or pain meds! They don't tell you to start the fiber foods BEFORE surgery and the pain meds are very constipating. The first bm is the worst of course. I was off work for a month, but I've read where others take much longer.
I didn't get much direction with the diltiazem and lidocaine -- can they be mixed together or do they work better alone? I don't like using the lidocaine before I head to work as it doesn't really soak in and who wants that mess at work? :oops:
fissurehater

Topics: 1

Postby suzyljank » 17 Apr 2013, 15:08

Hi, my troubles started after hemmie surgery too. I developed scar tissue which keeps the anus from stretching when you have a bm. If you can't stretch properly you tend to tear. I had LIS and it wasn't enough. I'm scheduled for anoplasty (advancement flap) a week from friday. My CRS said scar tissue from hemmie surgery is the number one reason people get anal fissures and he also avoids the operation. Once you develop scar tissue there you can have trouble. Depending on the amount of scar tissue, they try dilation and in more advanced cases they have to remove the scar tissue and use new tissue (a skin graft) to take it's place. He told me if I didn't do the surgery I would just keep tearing and healing and tearing, it a nasty cycle because each time you heal you create more scar tissue. I had my pre op exam today and I'm starting to get really nervous. I hope yours is mild and that you will heal successfully but you need to keep your fiber up and stool soft. Hope you fissure heals quickly, Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby pinpin » 12 May 2013, 11:53

Hello,
How is your fissure now? Is that better?
All these troubles come from hemmie surgery :(
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 12 May 2013, 22:04

There is a link for a more comfortable seat cushion on this website (search seat cushion and a Guest has the link). Let me know if you can't find it. I sit for my job and this has helped some. I also have made stand-up computer stations at my two work-sites. I stand up whenever possible. Sitting hurts my AF and, I think, led to a major re-tear. Donut cusion didn't help, cushion for tail-bone problems didn't help. This one has nothing down the middle but good supporting foam under both legs/cheeks. I use just a dense foam cushion in my car for driving, helps some. I eat standing up and never sit unless I can't help it! Crazy, eh? Keep looking for solutions!!!! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby pinpin » 12 May 2013, 23:37

Hi,
What kind of hemorrhoidectomy you had?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby suzyljank » 14 May 2013, 16:39

Hi, my hemorrhoidectomy was done many years ago so I don't know the name only know that it was a radical way to do the procedure because they removed too much tissue. I have to agree with "fissure hater" avoid this surgery. sometimes I think doctors are too quick to fix hemorrhoidectomy with surgery. My CRS stopped doing this surgery after patients were presenting with stenosis at a higher rate. He will do banding but he tries to control the problem with diet and stool softeners. Miralax has helped many people avoid surgery. I would also make sure you see a CRS. They know their way around butts better than GPS and Gastro drs. Hope I was able to answer your question. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Port » 14 May 2013, 23:29

Bit of an old thread but I'll put my 2cents in :) First off Welcome. I Can relate to how painful hemmie surgery is, had mine done during college days and sure wish I'd had sense enough to get a second opinion...or research options(no internet then) I can remember taking my hands and lifting my whole body off the seat it hurt so bad. Also I'm almost certain the cross eyed doctor I had did too much and narrowed the passage, coupled with lifelong constipation helped cause AF.
Last edited by Port on 14 May 2013, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: durrrr
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here