Botox - recovery etc - experiences please!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox - recovery etc - experiences please!

Postby Englanddevon » 18 Apr 2013, 10:11

Hi guys I posted yesterday about how I was getting on since my Botox on Friday and the lump and pains I've had since. Saw my surgeon this afternoon and the good news is that the lump is just inflammation and not an abscess, phew!
The bad news is that he can't explain the pain.
Now, this is the part where I would like your thoughts and experience since I think I trust your judgements more than the doctors! My surgeon has said that if the Botox was successful then I would be instantly pain free? He thinks that any pain is indicating failure of the Botox, although I've got to wait a further 2 months before they will consider 2nd round.
I would be hugely grateful of your thoughts on the above, especially if you've had Botox.
I appreciate that these surgeons are experienced people and is a friendly surgeon, but I still don't think they get just how painful this problem is and how it can ruin your life. For 5 months I've been unable to work, exercise or some days leave the house. My husband was in shock when the surgeon told him that I could do whatever I wanted as in work or exercise. Is he for real I tried light housework and ended up in bed for 3 days on morphine. Generally feeling really fed up!
Thanks in advance for any thoughts x
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Botox - recovery etc - experiences please!

Postby richibeno » 18 Apr 2013, 11:26

Hi ' glad it is not an abscess 'botox takes a couple of weeks to get its full strength it is not an instant fix '
Take it easy keep it soft drink loads of water
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Englanddevon » 18 Apr 2013, 11:31

Thanks richibeno! I thought that it was a good few weeks too so that is good. HAve you had any success with Botox?
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 18 Apr 2013, 11:36

No botox did not work for me only had it once '
Looks like I got a blocked glan which led to an abscess and fistula recovering now still sore but its a long healing process for me
I was unlucky just keep an eye on things down there 'no smelly pus ect
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 18 Apr 2013, 12:49

Hi englanddevon,
I've had Botox twice, first time it lasted 8mths then out of blue i had a hard bm & tore again. I'm 3 wks post Botox now & I've no pain at all 😊 The first 2 wks were as bad as before Botox but once I got past 2wks pain stopped. I hope it helps you good luck 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby Rachael 1984 » 18 Apr 2013, 12:50

Hi England Devon, glad to hear you are getting help now with the fissure. I had Botox 2 weeks ago. I was in more pain when I woke up due to having hems banded and a camera and Botox on 2 fissures. I have been having good and bad days along the way. The last few days have been good for me, the pain is lower and my BM isn't painful. I have upped the Movicol to 2 sachets, one after lunch and 1 at night. I was in pain 24/7 before the Botox and in burning hell. I am surprised at this stage how the Botox has helped. I know it is gonna be a long healing road, but I am willing to have more Botox or LIS if needed. My CRS wants a follow up in June to see if I have healed. I know the Botox success are very few, but I am hoping and praying. I hope you see some improvement and can heal.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby JHH » 18 Apr 2013, 13:19

Botox successes few?
The statistics says 50% heal on one treatment. Of those who dont heal in one treatment, 33% heal on two or more!
Thats a total of 66%. not bad I think :D
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Englanddevon » 18 Apr 2013, 14:39

Thanks so much for the advice guys, really helpful!
Richibeno shame to hear that the Botox didn't work, hopefully the fistula is healing up, they sound really nasty!
Edel and Rachael good to hear that you are both responding well to the Botox, and promising that its bit negative if it doesn't work right away. I'm the same as you Rachael prepared myself for second round and LIS, my check up is also in June so fingers crossed for us both! Edel I feel for you having two lots then relapse! Really hope that this is the last time you have to have the Botox! :)
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 18 Apr 2013, 15:24

Hi englanddevon,
It was a big shock for me to retear felt like my world had fallen in on me again I didn't waste any time getting to CRS & having Botox again. She told me its last time I can have it that we will have to do LIS next 😁 I really don't fancy having that done. I'm am the worlds biggest chicken when it comes to something like that. I also have a very lrg skin tag that she refuses to remove don't understand why. My nx app is 31st may & I will bring it up again. One thing that helped me while i was waiting for Botox to kick in was using Vaseline before every BM even now 3wks later I'm still using it along with 2 sachets of movicol. I hope things get easier for you in the coming days 😊
Deleted User 2543

Postby hendrick181 » 21 Apr 2013, 12:53

Alot of people recommend vaseline. Can u be a bit more descriptive on how to apply?? I felt like i may have retore trying to apply it....
hendrick181
Salt Bather

Topics: 2