Pia's Fissure journey update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Pia's Fissure journey update

Postby Positive Girl » 15 Apr 2013, 04:44

Hi Pia I am so happy that things seem to be improving for you. I am in a very similar situation, 1st fissure was in 2009, it healed after two botox injections. But after chemo in 2011 the fissure was disturbed again but did settle but unfort came back after a 20 hr surgery last year for breast reconstruction and have been struggling since. I had a half dose of botox about 10 weeks ago which did not work and my crs did a double dose 3 weeks ago with no success. But I have been feeling really unwell since the last one. High pulse rate (never happens to me as I am quite fit) and feeling very shaky and breathless. I ended up in hospital and they are still checking me out. Has anyone else had problems with botox ? and feeling unwell after it ? I have read a few similar stories on other sites.
I wish you well Pia and please tell me about the coconut oil, do you apply it in its raw solid form and how ?
Best of luck, we will look back on this period in our lives soon with delight that the AF have healed.
xx
Positive Girl
Fibre Addict

Postby PIA » 15 Apr 2013, 04:56

Hi Positive Girl, What a journey you have had. I did not experience a rapid heart rate with the Botox. I can sometimes get and irregular heart beat anyway but I know that is always an indicator that I am doing too much or too anxious. There are lots of posts about coconut oil on this site. For me I use organic coconut oil. I freeze some in little cut off fingers from disposable gloves then use them as a suppository if things are sore or I think my BM might be too hard. I have recently also incorporated using it as a wipe on toilet paper straight from the bottle in its liquid form after each trip to the loo even to pass urine. It is very soothing and healing I believe. Oh and then I eat a few solid teaspoons of it every day ( different bottle that I keep in the kitchen).
I wish healing for you xx
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby PIA » 17 Apr 2013, 00:09

Meet with my GP yesterday of 30 years. It is so comforting to have someone who knows me and who has had a life time of experience as a GP. The GP I first saw is a young lady who works at his practise. I wish I had overcome my embaressment at the time and gone straight to him. He read the CRS reports. He believes in me and feels I can get healed without surgery. He agrees the fissure is deep and the healing may take longer. He approved of all that I have been doing so far and wants me to write down my journey for his other patients. He feels that a steroid suppository with lignocaine for a couple of weeks as soon as I get up in the morning will help with the inflammation and further relief the spasms. His wife also had anal fissures which she recovered from years ago so he was very sympathetic, I will trust him and will give it a go but do have some concerns about the steroids making my skin more fragile. I am unlikely to tear again at the moment with the soft daily stools I am managing to achieve and the botox and rectogesic keeping the spasms at bay. So I will continue on my healing journey with a few steps backwards every now and then. One day at a time and today I am pain free.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 17 Apr 2013, 01:57

Keep going PIA. Great that you have a good GP. I think you can do it. Hopefully all pain free days and healing. :D
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 17 Apr 2013, 02:08

That's great Pia!
Your so lucky to have a gp that knows you so well!!
I would give the suppository s a go. Hydrocortisone can be very beneficial. You only want to use them for a week or two though, that way it will get any inflammation down, but not have a chance to do any damage to the skin.
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby marg6043 » 18 Apr 2013, 19:58

PIA, I know you can heal on your own if you give it time, that is what I been doing for the last 10 months.
I know is times when people are suffering so much that they can not wait to get relief from the symptoms of fissures and that is understandable.
I am glad that botox is working, I always say that as long as I can keep my quality of life and live with the fissure i will let it heal on its own.
But if for any reason my fissure goes back to the way it was when it was fresh i will not hesitate to have surgery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby PIA » 18 Apr 2013, 22:17

Thank you Marg. I resonate with what you are saying. So much of my journey with this fissure is dependant on keeping a positive and healing outlook. I know I need to be patient and believe I will heal. XX Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 24 Apr 2013, 08:39

Weekly update. Pain free week Image Image
Have only needed the nitro cream a couple of times this week to relieve start of spasm.The steroid suppositories seem to be helping with this. My husband is leaning on my shoulder and nodding his head as I write this. He is happy that we seem to have a handle on this fissure at the moment. Trying to balance keeping the sphincter spasm free to promote healing. Five months on and it feels as if we are moving in the right direction..today. Xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 25 Apr 2013, 14:06

That's great to hear Pia!
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jdhouseholder » 25 Apr 2013, 16:53

So glad to hear you are on your way to healing Pia!!
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Topics: 5