Travel Tips needed

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Travel Tips needed

Postby katrina77 » 07 May 2013, 13:29

I also take lightweight heating pad. I use for butt but I also have neck and back injury.
katrina77
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 22 May 2013, 14:35

I'm back from my five-day, four-night trip and thought I would pass along what helped the most. Bringing oatmeal packets (along with soft nuts and dried fruit to add) was great. I had this most mornings in the hotel to start off on the right foot. I just added hot water from the little coffee maker and used a coffee cup and plastic spoon. I also took fiber every morning and evening. I was as regular as could be, much to my surprise. Most days, I just needed a little extra time in the morning for a quick soak in the tub after the am BM. Soaked most nights as well. I ate more liberally than at home, but made sure to include fresh veggies and fruits. The hardest part were the flights. The cushion I ordered from Magellan didn't arrive, so last minute ran to the AAA store. They had an inflatable cushion with the back missing (sort of) to ease tailbone pain. It actually worked best backward for me. It wasn't great but helped a little. I learned this the 'hard way' on the way home when I forgot to take it out of my carry-on, which got checked at the last minute. Back to shifting from cheek to cheek for survival. I did get aisle seats and stretched or stood at the back as much as I could get away with. Also, stood through the entire 2 1/2 hour graduation ceremony for my daughter's graduation. The hard plastic chairs were terrible (with the AF). I'm just so thankful I had fairly manageable discomfort (not severe pain), daily BM's (no constipation), and no big re-tear. :) Thanks again for all of your ideas!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Now66 » 23 May 2013, 09:42

Been on travel all week and took my own advice above:
Bring the Miralax and fiber
Pack my own breakfast cereal with prunes
and
Take the time to poop.
To my surprise this has been a most regular and essentially pain free BM week!
Only thing I forgot was to pack the wipes but they're easy to find.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 23 May 2013, 12:30

I'm so glad it worked out for you, and you found ways to get around the discomfort of the fissure.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 23 May 2013, 22:12

Thanks, owmybum, there was definitely discomfort, just not the really severe pain of recent weeks. I, too (now66), was shocked at how regular and manageable things were. Is this a stress effect of regular life compared to a trip? A question to grapple with! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Now66 » 16 Jun 2013, 16:15

Just made an 8 day auto trip beginning with a two day 1,000 mile leg, followed with a 3 day stay, and a three day 1,000 mile return.
I was pretty apprehensive about sitting cramped up in a car seat all that time - probably responsible in part for my fissure last year - but all worked very well. I am amazed and believe this regimen of fiber, Miralax, and water really works.
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 17 Jun 2013, 03:01

That's good to hear Now66!!!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Peppermint Patty » 27 Jun 2013, 08:11

Such great advice from everyone! My family's been trying to plan a trip to New Hampshire this summer, but I've been so concerned about going because of my fissure. I've had the AF for about 3 months now, so I've never traveled with it before. I love going away, and I don't want the AF to hold me back, but I don't want to end up in agony either. I'm so glad to see that so many of you have had such positive travel experiences! I'm definitely going to tell my family to book the trip!! (I'll just be packing a few more items than usual - Miralax, colace, fiber-filled foods, and my water bottle!!) Thanks so much - you've all made me feel better about hitting the road!!
Peppermint Patty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1