Fissure pain 3 weeks post op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fissure pain 3 weeks post op?

Postby marg6043 » 29 May 2013, 16:39

Ceeteefeebs, sorry to hear that you are feeling down and that your fissure is hurting, but perhaps 4 weeks is way to soon to start doing normal activities after LIS.
You have surgery, you need time to heal, I know that is not easy when we have busy lives, but need to give your body time to heal.
Some people heal faster than others.
I believe 4 weeks is still too soon to know if the LIS fail or was a success, give it time and let the healing take over, you still have the rest of your life after healing to do everything you want to do.
I wish you the best and a fast recovery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby ravians » 30 May 2013, 01:14

I know it's depressing going back to same routine but stay positive. I agree with marg 4 weeks r not enough. ur fissure that may have healed but it must have got only very soft tissue on it n it must b very delicate. my crs told me it takes 6 months at least n can take 1 year to heal completely n remove all the scar tissue from fissure site so keep ur self in pre op routine for at least 1 year to get rid of this AF for good.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby becsbum » 01 Jun 2013, 15:23

Ctf - hang in there! I agree, you are still healing. It's funny, I know exactly the "zone" you mean. After my retear, during my struggle to heal it up, I had a day with about a 2 hour photo gig (family/kids). I completely forgot about my body and was quite sore afterwards! I think the squatting is the biggest problem and am trying to avoid that. I think if you have a break during the week to rest up that should be very helpful! Oh also as for going out with friends - I made myself a little cushion with foam and fabric, about 9x12 inches, and bought a cute tote style purse that fits it. Now if I want to go out I make sure to bring it and it helps immensely on hard chairs!! I still am conservative with going out and try not to pack too much into a weekend but at least I can do some fun stuff and don't have to think ahead of time about the furniture. It has helped my mindset a lot!
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Jojo1 » 05 Jun 2013, 10:55

Yes that sounds typical for about the one month point, especially after having dealt with such pain beforehand.
I had my LIS 17 months ago after 4 months of hell!!! I believe I had one instance of retear within the first 2 months, but did have minor bouts of irritation occasionally for several weeks/months after that. It can be easy to re-tear early on after LIS. But it is also easier to heal after re-tears as well.
While the initial healing of the fissure is quick (within 4-5 days), full healing takes up to two years. So, you can't really "go back to normal" after a few days or weeks. Dedicated aftercare is the key for successful healing. You need to stick with your softening regimen (only modified as needed) just as religiously as you did prior to LIS for at least the next 8-12 months.
Having had this procedure, let alone having had a fissure period - will require life-long changes in your bowel habits. Some of the things I did and still do (and will be doing for life) include:
1. Lots of water - I get in at least 100oz daily.
2. Start every morning with Benefiber in my yogurt.
3. Nightly dose of Miralax (currently 1/2 to 1 full dose). I will forever have to do this because I take a lot of calcium daily which is constipating (caused my first fissure). I'll be taking the calcium for life, so I have to do what's necessary to protect myself from the effects.
4. Invest in moist wipes (I used Pampers Sensitive). I use this instead of toilet paper in the back. In fact, I dip 2-3 of them in water with witch hazel and initially clean with that after a bowel movement. Followed by a few more just moist ones til I'm completely clean.
5. For the first year, I did 2-3 warm soaks daily. Now I still do a nice, long hot soak after my morning movement. It's become a ritual.
Beyond these things, I am mindful of any difference in feeling back there. If I feel the slightest stinging, tenderness, burning, etc., I'm right on it with A&D ointment or something similar. Also, I keep a couple bottles of Witch Hazel in the house always and add some to my bath water for my soak. If the burning or irritation is moderate, I will step up with 2-3 soaks for a few days until things settle down (use your judgement), but always do one nice hot soak each morning. I will always be taking these steps as I never, ever want to have another fissure as long as I live.
I would not advise doing sitz baths because it can put a pulling/stretching pressure on the area which is NOT good. I'd advise soaking in the tub, keeping the water as hot as you can COMFORTABLY stand and lie on your side allowing the water to get to the area. If you don't have a tub, invest in a good hand sprayer and use that (yes, 20-30 minutes each time). The heat is crucial to encouraging blood flow to the area and relaxing the muscle - both of which are necessary for the healing to happen.
You might need to take it easy activity wise as well. Being a photographer, you'd be amazed at how much just the slight bending and minimal adjustments requiring a strong center of gravity affects those muscles. Perhaps there is a partner who can assist you as you recover.
Don't get discouraged, just realize that healing takes time and has ups and downs and you'll be fine.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby fisuremex » 06 Jun 2013, 07:32

Hi Ceeteefeebs... it seems you and I are on a smilar train. I had surgery 4 weeks ago, and just yesterday had what felt as a retear :(
The funny thing is, before surgery I asked the doctor how long until I could start jogging, and he told me to wait a month. Of course I was *sure* (after reading this forum) that there's no way I would start running after a month.
I was on Macrogol (a laxative/stool softener) by my Dr instructions for 4 weeks after the operation, and on my month checkup the CRS told me to change that to Metamucil... which was not a good idea after all, because without the softener I started having harder stool this week, culminating in yesterdays re-tear.
I also wanted to believe that after the surgery things would get better, unfortunately it wasn't that way. Now I started taking Magnesium and Lactulose and re-starting the regime I had established before the surgery.
I am only 31, and have been suffering from fissure for about 3 years, on an off...
The only thing that makes me very sad is (sorry for the TMI, please stop reading if you are easily grossed) not being able to have relations with my wife... anything that makes my bottom contract will make me feel sorry the next day.
fisuremex

Postby ravians » 03 Jul 2013, 13:58

how r u feeling now ctf?
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3