Fissure after childbirth - really scared

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure after childbirth - really scared

Postby Hurting girl » 29 May 2013, 18:28

Hi everyone hope you all are doing well especially those in recovery mode. I need your support! I have a fissure as a result of child birth and to say the least I haven't been able to enjoy taking care of my baby because of the pain!!! I think mostly spasms as I feel needles n shard pains down there throughout the day. Only thing that helps be pain free is laying in my back as I am not putting any pressure on it since its at the south side. I've been really depressed crying uncontrollably and my general surgeon today decided to give me an option if having a Botox injection or surgery:-( I decided on surgery being that Botox does not guarantee it will heal. My surgery is scheduled for June 14th at Kaiser. I'm so scared that it will make it worst but I have no choice have my baby and need to get better so I can take care of him. Currently when I have a BM it's not bloody and hardly hurts but then again I don't know if its because of all the ointments I put on it but the Spasms through out the day here and there is what's affecting my quality of life as I can't sit without any pain. Did I make the right decision guys:-/ I'm scared!!!!
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Fissure after childbirth - really scared

Postby Savaici » 30 May 2013, 17:30

Hi Hurting Girl and welcome to the Forum. Image
Sorry that you are in such pain, especially with a baby too. I have bumped this post so that others who have had LIS will notice the post and reply to you. I also gave you a post of 'your own', moving your post.
You will find also that there is a lot of information on here, so do use the Search box at the top right of the page, and you will find all sorts of things there.
A lot of people have had LIS and come well through it. I see you said that a general surgeon has seen you through this. Will a colon and rectal surgeon be doing the actual surgery? They are really the ones fully experienced in all things bum!
Don't be scared. You join many others on here who have sailed through this surgery. Thinking of you. Big Image Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby suzyljank » 30 May 2013, 17:56

Hi, LIS is a pretty simple surgery. I do agree with Savaici, a CRS is the best person to do this though. This surgery should help stop the spasming and allow regular blood flow to the area allowing the fissure to heal. Try not to be too scared, try to look at it as a chance to get your life back. All the best, hope your on the road to recovery soon so you can really enjoy your little one. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Hurting girl » 30 May 2013, 18:24

Hi Savaici, yes a colon n rectal surgeon will be performing the surgery. I do see that there's been a lot of people who have had surgery on this site. I'm scared because everyone posts contradicting information that I find my self worried. My husband keeps telling me to stop reading those things and to remember that everyone is different. I guess I'm just depress and tired of all this pain that's why I figured surgery is my only option if I want to get thru this. Have u had the surgery? If so how long did it take you to recover and be back to normal? I just woukd like to be back to normal and it seems like it will never happen but I know I must think positive. Thank you so much for replying to my posts you actually made my day. What is your story?
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict

Postby Hurting girl » 30 May 2013, 18:27

Hi Suzy I appreciate your kind words. You had the LIS surgery ? If so how long did it take you to recover was pain absolutely horrible or not as bad as others say it is? I'm also confused because I don't even know if what I'm feeling are spasms or not. I get them thru out the day but they are quick like 10 seconds and there gone. I feel like twitches, a really bad pinch down there and at times like a needle poke that hurts so much. How are you doing thus far? Sorry that I haven't asked.
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 30 May 2013, 19:23

Hi Hurtinggirl, yes I had the surgery, the pain wasn't bad at all, I managed with ibuprofen. It took me a while to recuperate but my fissure was chronic and I had too much scar tissue so it didn't work for me. You should do just fine because you sound like you have an acute fissure and they are much easier to heal, try not to read all the negative stories they will just scare the heck out if you. Follow the instructions your CRS tells you and continue to keep your BM soft through recovery, it's very important. Good luck. Sending my prayers Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby owmybum » 31 May 2013, 02:41

Hi,
Try not to read all the bad horror stories.... It will only fuel your anxiety further. Your husband is right.. Everyone is different, and who's to say you won't breeze through this surgery and make a full recovery in no time.
In the mean time, take a good stool softener like mirilax, drink plenty of water to help keep your bms nice and soft, eat plenty of fruit and veggies to keep things moving nicely, lots of relaxing warm baths to ease those spasms and a blob of Vaseline on your anus just before a bm helps to lubricate/protect the fissure.
Keep us posted on your recovery, and you will be back to normal in no time... And able to enjoy your new baby!
Ps. I too have surgery scheduled for June 14!!!!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Hurting girl » 31 May 2013, 20:01

Thanks Suzy for your words of encouragement. Yes I'm trying not to read too much into the bad stories and simply be hopefully. I try to eat clean, soft foods veggies and lots of fruit. I am devoted to a high fiber diet if that what it takes! I'm just confuse because I'm not sure if what I'm feeling are spasms because everyone describes then differently and usually last for hours non stop? Mine only ladt a few seconds and they continue thru out the day the more I move and like I said they feel like needle stabs or a really bad throbbing pinch is that a spasm? I'm sorry that you have gone thru so much but how are you now? I hope well and wishing you nothing but the best!
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict

Postby Hurting girl » 31 May 2013, 20:08

Hi OMB thank you for your reply. It made me feel better and at ease. I'm not going to lie I'm nervous but I'm hoping that the surgery works since ice only had this for three months but who knows. As I mention in my other posting I'm not sure what a spasm feels like mine last a few seconds 10-15 n feel like needle poking at my anus and sometimes like a really bad throbbing pinch in my Anus area. Is that normal??? I will follow your advice and continue to eat a high fiber diet and try miralax. Currently I am only taking two stool soft pills and a lil milk of magnesia and maintaining a super healthy diet but seems not to get better though. Reason I say this is because after my BM it's not too bad but it's when I move and try sitting down that kills me!
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict

Postby Hurting girl » 31 May 2013, 20:09

By the way OMB will this be your first LIS surgery? We have it on the same day :-) I will definitely be there to support you and send you nothing but good vibes!!!!
Hurting girl
Fibre Addict