Seven months after LIS. The fissure is still there.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Seven months after LIS. The fissure is still there.

Postby aimonaali » 27 May 2013, 07:15

I had a LIS done last november. At first it did cure the fissure. About one month after the operation my surgeon said the fissure was completely gone and that it's unlikely it will come back. About a month after that I went back to see him because I had some pain in the insicion site. And in the checkin the fissure tore up again and I've been trying to cure it ever since. It doesn't seem it's gonna go away. It's not as bad as it once was but it still makes me feel depressed...
Anyone know what my next step should be? Is there still change to get rid of this thing?
Thanks for any helpful words.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Seven months after LIS. The fissure is still there.

Postby JHH » 27 May 2013, 12:24

Wow, I'm so sorry for your trouble. I heard of others who had LIS twice, but I hope you will recover without going there.
How is you leakage problems now?
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 27 May 2013, 20:56

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this! Are you having spasms, or is the pain soley from the fissure itself?
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby aimonaali » 28 May 2013, 09:47

The leakage problem is quite mild. Well I wouldn't really say I have leakage, just that I usually have to wipe twice after a BM.
I don't have spasms. And the fissure doesn't really cause pain but it does burn after a BM and I can feel it all the time through out the day when ever there's any pressure on those muscles.
I would be really afraid of getting a second LIS because of the leakage I already have from the first one. I wonder if I could be a good candidate for some sort of flap surgery....
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 28 May 2013, 10:39

Hi, I'm so sorry this happened. It's similar to what happened to me. I had LIS in 2008. It wasn't the miracle it is for some people but it helped a bit. I kept going back to the doctor for check ups and I was still really tight. On one digital exam he tore the fissure again. My CRS tried to tell me at the time that I need further surgery, that this LIS didn't work for me but I didn't want to hear that. I did manage to heal again for a few months and I kept retearing. At first rehealing only took a few weeks and I was back to normal but last year it got really bad. I tore in July and didn't get any relief until January of this year. I knew I needed to go back to the CRS and have that talk about surgery. He explained that I had built up so much scar tissure from a previous surgery and from LIS and the tearing and retearing of my fissure that a digital exam was impossible. I needed to get the scar tissue removed. I had no blood flow in that area, my fissure although large and deep didn't bleed anymore because the rectal spasms cut off the blood flow. So almost 5 weeks ago I went in for an exam under anesthesia and had a bilateral sliding flap anoplasty (basically a double advancement flap). I had run out of choices. I'm still in some pain but I can sit again, finally. I'm still terrified when I have a bm, hope that goes away someday. I still take stool softeners and will for the rest of my life but I can now pass a larger bm. before surgery it was smaller than a string bean, no joke. Talk with your doctor about your options. If I had to do it over again I would have had the surgery sooner because truth be told I didn't really avoid the pain of another surgery I just put it off for 4 years. I hope you heal up really soon and stay healed but if you continue to have problems please talk to your doctor. All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 30 May 2013, 14:47

Thank you for your answer. I'll probably just try to live with my fissure at least for the summer and use the rest of my Rectogesic. Maybe it will get better over time... Although I'm not very optimistic anymore. It just feels so depressing because I thought LIS would be the end of this.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby becsbum » 01 Jun 2013, 08:41

I have two thoughts for you. One is that I had a similar issue with a retear at around 4 months. Went to a new CRS for a second opinion after around 3 weeks as I thought it wasn't healing - but she said it had healed! I was (and am) still feeling discomfort throughout the day, especially sitting or walking. She said it sounded like my muscles/nerves were out of wack and recommended physical therapy. (This is the same opinion as my original crs, by the way). So it's possible something similar is happening with you? Second idea is that if it is indeed a fissure, could you opt for Botox? The new crs said this would be her next step if I had an ongoing retear problem. It avoids the risks of a second surgery.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby aimonaali » 06 Jun 2013, 08:18

The fissure is definetely there, I can feel it sting when I put rectogesic into it. My CRS has never mentioned botox for me, I'm not sure if they use it for fissured here in Finland. But I suppose I'll go to some other CRS during the summer since the re-tear doesn't seem to be healing. I think it's been over two months now...
I keep wondering if everything would be fine if I had not gone to the CRS that one time... It's another summer dealing with this. I feel like crying.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby becsbum » 06 Jun 2013, 17:17

Ugh I'm sorry. :( My original surgeon doesn't do Botox either, so perhaps others in Finland do. Either way a second opinion could help. I am also not happy to be dealing with this for yet another summer.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby owmybum » 07 Jun 2013, 02:49

I'm so sorry you are in this position.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?