Final visit to CRS after double flap surgery.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Final visit to CRS after double flap surgery.

Postby suzyljank » 27 Jun 2013, 11:54

Hi, I had double advancement flap surgery 9 weeks ago. I never thought I would have to go through something like that but I did it. My stenosis was so severe I was on the verge of not being able to have a bm at all. I saw my CRS today and he said I'm doing really well, so well that he released me from the surgery. I'm thrilled. He explained that the pain I sometimes get is from the new scar tissue and surgical site and it will take about 2 years for that all to heal properly and calm down. The dilation I am doing is helping the new scar tissue stay flexible. While in the healing process it is very important to stretch that tissue. It's not always comfortable but it's helping. All the little twinges and tingling I'm getting is normal and at least I know that now so I feel better. I'm getting back to my life now and it feels good. I have one more surgery for a dental implant next week and then hopefully I can put this all behind me.
I'm eating a normal diet again with some fiber but I don't over do it and I take miralax at bedtime but only 4 teaspoons. This keeps the stool soft but formed. My CRS said he likes miralax because it's very adjustable. If I ever have to take medication that is constipating I just have to up the miralax and if my stools are too lose I lower the dose. It took me a few weeks to find what works.
I don't have anymore stitches either, the internal ones have dissolved and I'm happy about that.
Taking care of my behind will be something I will do forever. I'm so grateful for everyone on this site... All the well wishes and great advise. It helped so much.
If anyone is suffering from stenosis or a fissure that refuses to heal and this surgery is recommended don't be afraid of it. Even though it's a bit rough it's worth it in the end. If you have any questions about the surgery or recovery please feel free to email me. I'd be glad to answer whatever you ask.
My CRS bet me a cherry pie that I would like him again in 8 weeks so I baked one last night and gave it to him this morning not knowing it would be my last visit. We both had big smiles on our faces. I got a great big hug and a lot of well wishes from him and his staff.
If I can give any advice at all about this painful disorder I'd say don't give up. Keep pursuing whatever avenue you have to until you find what helps you. It may take a while but it's not hopeless. Thank you everyone. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Final visit to CRS after double flap surgery.

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 27 Jun 2013, 12:05

Congrats Suzy that is fantastic news put a smile on my face while reading your post. I hope you continue to get better everyday & you dont have too much trouble at the dentist- its another fear i have the dentist.
Best of luck Image
Deleted User 2543

Postby momof7 » 27 Jun 2013, 16:40

I am so glad for you!
You have been quite an inspiration for me. I knew if you could do it, I could make it through my recovery too. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!Image
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby splinterboy1984 » 27 Jun 2013, 17:15

Sooo Happy for suzy!! hope you good health for the rest of your life.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby owmybum » 28 Jun 2013, 04:10

That's just the best news Suzy. You have been so courageous throughout your surgery, I'm so pleased you have done so well!!
ImageImageImage
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby puzzledbutt » 28 Jun 2013, 04:37

great news suzy!!!! thanks for ur great post, im so delighted for u. :-) xxxxxx
puzzledbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby richibeno » 28 Jun 2013, 05:21

Great news keep up the great work
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby aimonaali » 28 Jun 2013, 07:09

Good news:)
Is the dilation something that every flap surgery patient has to do or were you some sort of special case? I might have to have that surgery some time in the future...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 28 Jun 2013, 07:28

Hi, aimonaali. Not everyone who has flap surgery has to do dilation. I have to do it because I had double flap surgery. It was a large area of tissue that was removed and replaced by the flaps. Every surgery causes scar tissue and to keep the tissue flexible I have to dilate to stretch it. This works on fresh scar tissue but does not on old scar tissue. I had to start after one week after surgery. It's not that bad. I do it once in the morning and I'm done. Please don't get overly nervous if you have to have the surgery. I was so freaked out when they told me I had to have it and in the end I was grateful there was a surgery that could help. It's uncomfortable but not unbearable. I bet you'll do terrific. Wishing you all the best. Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 28 Jun 2013, 09:04

Actually I feel anxious to get to a surgery. Anything that might help, I'm very eager to do. I remember talking to my CRS about flap surgery but he just watched me like he'd never heard of such a thing. So I had LIS instead. Yesterday I was serching for another CRS that I could visit but seems like everyone oh them is taking a two months brake for the summer. Now I don't know if I should go to see my old CRS next week before he takes a summer break. My ass is burning but I'm just not sure what he can do about that.
But thank you Suzy for great information. I'm sure the flap surgery is possible in my country too but I'm not sure who to contact about that.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15