17 days since LIS - Need advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

17 days since LIS - Need advice

Postby Mercury » 20 Jul 2013, 23:23

So I had LIS 17 days ago, you can see some description I gave post LIS on my intro thread here .
In any case, things have been getting much much better. I don't have pain almost at all anymore, there's the odd weird feeling every now and then, but that's it. That said I'm still going high on fiber, still not using TP at all, I use the shower head after a BM, and I'm still on Movicol.
My questions are: how long should I keep going with Movicol ? I've been on Movicol for like 2 months now, it helps a lot but now I am of course scared of stopping and scared that it will cause constipation and hard stools. Any advice on when and how to stop?
As for using TP, I guess I'll give it a try soon enough because my BMs are usually in the morning, I have to be at work at 8AM and even waking up at 6 sometimes isn't enough and my BM comes later... So obviously this is causing problems with work since I can't go to the bathroom at work, only at home...
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 17 days since LIS - Need advice

Postby pinpin » 21 Jul 2013, 01:46

Hello,
I am on Movicol 5 months, firstly I took 2 sachets per day, now shrunk down to half of sachet each morning.
I checked with doctor it can be used as long as needed. Also other forum inhabitants can confirm the same.
About toilet paper and work. You can take with you half a liter big bottle make some small holes in cover, in toilet fill with warm water, and use it after BM pressing on bottle to get the flow. Do you have shower at your office?
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Mercury » 21 Jul 2013, 02:29

So first of all it's good to hear Movicol is OK for long periods of time. I never took anything more or less than 1 sachet a day. I don't know how long I'll keep taking it, maybe 2 more weeks or maybe I'll stop later if I feel the need. For now I'm perfect so I rather let the area heal some more and strengthen up before I stop.
I have no shower at work, and I seriously doubt I'll do what you said... I think I'm gonna try using TP again. It's been long enough and I'm good enough I think, I gotta solve this so I'll give it a try and see what's what.
Thanks for the quick response!
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 21 Jul 2013, 02:49

Hi Merc, I have also been told that Movicol is safe to use for long term. Congrats on your lack of pain, I'm not sure about LIS healing times as I've had a double fissurectomy, skin tag removal and Botox. I used a sitz bath after ever BM for 2 weeks and then I've moved on to using Andrex flushable Washlets. Which i also take some to work in my pocket. (I luckily have big girly cargo pants for my uniform so I take a 1/4 of the pack in one of my pockets. They are not sopping wet like your average wet wipes but they're damp enough when wiping that it cleans very very well. And if you do feel a discomfort after, they are slightly soothing because they tend to give a cooling effect. Find them in the toilet roll aisle in tesco, asda, sainsburys. (I'm assuming you're from the UK as you're on Movicol.
As for movicol. I'm on 3 a day. Which from reading most posts on here, that's pretty high. I've got a really good thing going with my routine (albeit pooping at all times of the day, never any routine in that sense). I'm going to keep going until I see my CRS in Sept and maybe reduce gently.
I hope I've atleast helped you with the wiping issue, I know it's helped me massively, even before surgery I used them when every BM was traumatic.
Keep up the healing,
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Please go-away! » 21 Jul 2013, 11:25

Hi Mercury, If I'm out and about I take the flush able wipes, try to find the ones for baby that are fragrance and alcohol free.
I also have the non flushable ones. I just discretly wrap them in toilet paper and either dispose of them in the garbage there or put in a plastic bag, to dispose of them later. Like welsh suggested the wipes are great, take care.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Mercury » 21 Jul 2013, 13:15

I'm definitely getting some of those, it sounds like a great idea. I tried TP today, no problems to report except of course it doesn't clean as perfectly as the shower head. I'll just hope the wet wipes do a better job :)
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 21 Jul 2013, 13:32

Hi Mercury,
Im 5 wks post lis, fissurectomy and tag removal and like you am pain free yay Image.
I've started to use tp again but i wet it if im near a sink or like the rest here use wet wipes fragrance and alcohol free.
Im on movicol for almost 3yrs now and i will be for life and its not a problem at all i wont be changing either cant take the chance i suffer chronic constipation.
Id be careful if i were you stopping movicol, its still early days on your healing to start changing.
Take care :D 
Deleted User 2543

Postby Mercury » 21 Jul 2013, 13:51

Edel94 wrote:Hi Mercury,
Im 5 wks post lis, fissurectomy and tag removal and like you am pain free yay Image.
I've started to use tp again but i wet it if im near a sink or like the rest here use wet wipes fragrance and alcohol free.
Im on movicol for almost 3yrs now and i will be for life and its not a problem at all i wont be changing either cant take the chance i suffer chronic constipation.
Id be careful if i were you stopping movicol, its still early days on your healing to start changing.
Take care :D   

Great to hear your pain free! :D
Are you serious about Movicol for life? Sounds scary to me :/ I'll stay on it for the time being. It was the only thing that made a real difference in pain so I'm guessing it's quite important and I don't want to damage my healing proccess in any way.
Wet wipes do sound like the best solution for now so I'll be getting them tomorrow.
Can't thank you guys enough for all the help! Image 
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 21 Jul 2013, 14:39

Yep I'm serious before i had lis i had botox i tried to cut down on movicol big mistake Image if i dont take it i'd end up with hard dry stool so its not worth coming off it cant take the chance anymore.
When you go back for your check up ask your crs about reducing movicol.
I hope your healing continues best of luck :) 
Deleted User 2543

Postby Mercury » 03 Oct 2013, 08:53

Hi all.

It's been 3 months since my LIS so I figured an update was due, I remember getting annoyed not many people keep updating the forum after they're better which always bothered me cause hearing about long term improvements was pretty important for me so here I go :)

1 month post surgery I was completely pain free, felt great and had no issues what so ever. Went for my post surgery check-up with my CRS and he said he can't even see the fissure anymore, just a little scar where it used to be.
Equipped with my AF Forum knowledge I kept taking Movicol but started gradually reducing the amount from 1 sachet a day and within 2 and a half months of the surgery I was Movicol free, pain free and finally feeling like I'm living my life again :)

Today I'm 3 months post surgery, I still take very much care of what I eat but mostly to even out the fibre amounts with what I believe is enough, and my body is agreeing with me completely. I still have a BM every morning, it's not Movicol smooth but very far from hard BMs, usually I still don't even need to push at all and it's all very smooth.

I do allow myself to indulge in alcohol again but limit it to once in 2 weeks, again, that's what I feel my body can handle 100% and no risk is taken. With food I eat whatever I want 1 meal, and the next must be fibre rich, it's working as a diet as well as it seems as I'm not gaining back all the weight I lost before the surgery lol.

As for me I'll keep watching my intake for at least 6 more months but for now, all is good :)

All in all life is good right now and I'm really not saying this to rub it in but because I went through the worst 6 months of my life with this fissure (and the includes 3 years in the army!) and I simply could not see the end. The pain was completely dominating my life and I remember the helpless feeling of being tortured every day for such a long period.

So to all of you out there still suffering of this terrible affliction, my heart is with you. I prey you all manage to get over it and know this: there IS light at the end of the tunnel,so keep fighting your way there!

All the best

Mercury
Mercury
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?