Going for LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Going for LIS

Postby GeorgeCuster » 05 Aug 2013, 21:04

Hi all, first post, longtime lurker.
You all can probably relate. After a trip to Houston, had a bowl movement I will never forget. The next day I went through rolls of toilet paper and the bleeding didn't stop all week, which was early October of 2012. I was formerly an active basketball player, rock climber, and weight lifter/long distance runner, and quit all activities immediately, as hard as that was. I tried everything I could to help at home; however, every time I felt pretty good I would go back into the gym and set my recovery back weeks. While my AF has not given me excruciating pain since it's early days it remains a daily reminder of the active life I cannot live. As I write this I am a couple weeks away from seeing a surgeon, probably having some intrusive tests, etc. My general doctor took a look and said it looked bad and circled the surgeon's number for me to call. I just walked my dog 3 miles, I usually do not have any severe pain and I only notice blood whenever I do a strenuous activity--that being said, I know it is there and surgery is my best option. I want to go aggressive and go straight for the surgical operation. It may set me back a few months before I can run of lift weights, but the prospect of living the active lifestyle I once had is worth the risk. I have no faith in any creams of any sort at this point. This will be my running log, feel free to say anything you want here! I've suppressed my condition and anger for 9 months and nobody knows my true alignment other then my doctor. Good to be here.
-Custer
Last edited by GeorgeCuster on 05 Aug 2013, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
GeorgeCuster

Topics: 1

Re: Going for LIS

Postby pinpin » 06 Aug 2013, 06:06

Good luck with surgery and wish you speedy recovery! Keep posted about progress
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby resume » 07 Aug 2013, 11:03

I'm so sorry you are going through this Custer. Like you I would feel better and once I started working out, the fissure would reappear. I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and I am almost as active as I was before the fissure!
I'm so glad you are so open minded about surgery. It really isn't something to fear. It's about getting your life back.
Good luck Custer! Keep us updated! :)
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby GeorgeCuster » 07 Aug 2013, 13:25

Your response meant a lot. I'm ready to fight back and I am looking forward to Day 1 post op. My upcoming appointment will likely give me the surgery date, so I will keep everybody updated. Great to hear!
GeorgeCuster

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 07 Aug 2013, 14:28

I wish you luck with your surgery, GeorgeCuster. Let us know how it goes. It is something I am considering myself if I can't heal this on my own this year.
Hope you feel better soon!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38