LIS Scheduled for this Monday!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Scheduled for this Monday!

Postby inneedofahealing » 08 Aug 2013, 16:06

Hello everyone! I am new to this group and I am so happy that I found it.  This group has been a source of information and encouragement for me.  I have had an anal fissure on and off for six years now but the last four months have been the worst.  My quality of life is poor, I have lost 10 pounds, and I don't want to deal with this anymore. This fissure has begun to take over my life.  I have been determined to not let it but it still consumes my mind.  I have been dreading surgery for years and because the fissure would come and go I would just deal with it.  This time the fissure refuses to heal.  I have had one week of relief since March and after I had a colonoscopy the fissure started to give me trouble again but worse.  After reading the success stories on this forum and looking up stats I have decided to go with what has the highest success rate.  I saw the CRS today and he recommended the LIS. He sat down and explained the procedure to me and answered my questions.  My LIS is scheduled for this Monday! I am optimistic at this point and am believing that this will be the beginning of the end of my fissure problems.  I am nervous about the recovery but at least it is a recovery and not a constant thing like this stupid fissure.  This thing is like a leech, it just sucks the life out of me.  I am sick of it.Image
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: LIS Scheduled for this Monday!

Postby Luka » 08 Aug 2013, 17:00

Hello inneedofahealing - I wish you the best of luck with surgery! 6 years is a long time to be dealing with this. I've had mine less than a year and I'm tired of it. I'm also considering surgery if it doesn't get any better by the end of the year. Mine is on and off, too, but still interferes with my life.
Please keep us updated. Again, I wish you the best and hope you have a smooth recovery. We are all here cheering you on. :)
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby resume » 08 Aug 2013, 17:09

That's so long to have a fissure. I'm so sorry you have been suffering for so long! I have been where you are and it's a terrible place to be. I had LIS/fissurectomy and it was the best decision I have made. It truly changed my life for the better. I love your optimistic attitude! Good luck with your surgery, And keep us posted on your recovery! Image
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby inneedofahealing » 08 Aug 2013, 20:28

Hello Luka, Thank you! Six years is a very long time to deal with something like this.  It has been a long road. I would have relief for months at a time before this last reoccurrence in March. I wish you the best and hope that your fissure heals before your year of waiting is up.  I will post updates on my surgery and recovery. I have faith that everything will go well.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby inneedofahealing » 08 Aug 2013, 20:34

Thank you Resume, I am trying my best to have a positive outlook. I know the recovery may be tough but after dealing with this fissure for so long my pain tolerance is at an all time high. I just hope all the pain is over soon. I am happy that you have recovered and I hope I will be saying the same soon. Stories like yours is what encourages me. I will post updates. I may have a lot of questions later!
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 09 Aug 2013, 14:45

inneedofahealing, I feel your pain, I know fissures can flare up after healed, mine healed naturally after a year, but if it comes back painful like it was before I will not wait I will have surgery.
I hope that your surgery goes well and recovery be a easy and fast one.Image 
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Aug 2013, 14:56

Inneed,
I think you have made absolutely the right decision to plunge for surgery and get on with your life again. 6 years is way too long to be suffering and an awful long time to try and stay positive. Just like Marg, I would not hesitate to consider surgery if I ever get a recurrence.....I am not putting myself through the months I suffered last time ever again!.......
There are so many success stories on this site and people regret just not getting LIS sooner. I truly wish you all the best and hope you will be joining that group very soon......
Hoping truly your surgery goes well next week and ends your painful cycle for ever......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby inneedofahealing » 09 Aug 2013, 23:25

Hi Marg, It is wonderful that your fissure healed naturally and I hope it never returns. In the back of my mind I want to cancel the surgery and keep trying to heal it without surgery but I know that at this point surgery is the best option for me. I just wish I didn't have to go this route but I hope that I will be healed forever after going through surgery. Thank you for the well wishes.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby inneedofahealing » 09 Aug 2013, 23:31

Hi Ever the Optimist, Thank you for your well wishes. I can't believe that I am up so late but I think that I am a little anxious about Monday. It is kind of surreal to me. I lived with this for so long and now it has gotten to a point where I cant anymore. I also hope that I will be posting my success story soon and congrats on your healing!
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 10 Aug 2013, 01:49

Hi inneed,
I wish you the very best with your surgery on Monday. I'm 9wks post LIS, fissurectomy & tag removal 😊 I had immediate relief from it no pain when I had a BM. All my pain was from incision site & tag site it was very sore but very manageable. I had Botox twice before... LIS was best decision I made. Give yourself a few wks to recover eat light & keep stools very soft & take your pain meds don't wait for pain to kick in keep it at bay all the time.
If you've any questions is be happy to answer.
Take care if yourself & try to relax good luck.
Last edited by Deleted User 2543 on 10 Aug 2013, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Deleted User 2543