My First BM After My LIS!!! OMG!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My First BM After My LIS!!! OMG!

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 08:55

So the day that I have been dreading since my surgery Monday finally came! I made sure to eat well and I drank tons of water. I laid off the pain meds because I didn't want to be constipated. The doc recommended 1 Tablespoon of metimucul but there was no way I was about to take that much and thank God I didn't. You will see why later. I took 1tsp Monday and 1 tsp yesterday. I took 3 stool softeners monday and 2 yesterday. I also ate apples and prunes. I had been passing alot of gas so I knew that I would be going soon. Well this morning I finally went and it was horrific! I'm actually sitting in the tub trying to ease the pain now:-(. So here are the graphic details: I felt the urge to go early this morning because I had taken half of my normal dose of MOM last night. The doc said only take it if I hadnt had a bm in two days. Thank God I didn't listen to that either. I know my body and two whole days without a bm for me is way too long. I felt the urge and squatted on the toilet to go. I could feel the stool crowning at the bottom of my butt but it wouldn't come out! I was trying my hardest to breath and not tense up but the pain reminded me of the fissure pain. I know the fissure is still there so I was trying not to cause further injury. At this point I was wondering what the CRS had done! It was almost like nothing had been done! I stayed in the bathroom for at least an hour. I wanted to stop, take another dose of MOM, and lay down but I had no control. It was determined to push its way out. I even sat on the sitz thinking the warm water would help the muscles relax and the stool would ease out but nope. Finally I squatted again and the biggest bm that I had ever had in my entire life came out! I also had some bleeding from the fissure. That is why I am happy I didn't take the amount of fiber my doc recommended! After seeing that come out of me I knew the doc had done something because there is no way that could've come out before. I felt so relieved after that although I am still in pain. At least I got the first bm over. I am not taking the fiber supplement anymore and will just continue my healthy diet with water. I just couldn't believe something that big came out! I had read stories on this board about this happening to others but I thought I had avoided it because I didn't take that much metamucial but I still experienced it. My advice is to skip the supplements and get fiber from foods. I am still looking forward to my complete healing. I am only post op day 2. I am sitting on a heating pad now which seems to be helping. I tried the ice pack to keep the seeking down but that hurt worse.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: My First BM After My LIS!!! OMG!

Postby J-32 » 14 Aug 2013, 09:20

Hi inneed
Please remember that everything what is painful now leads to be completely healed eventually.
What you mean by "the biggest"? Was there so much of it or a diameter was so wide? What no. of Bristol scale?
Sorry for such questions but I would like to know as many details regarding LIS as I can since I am thinking of having that done if Botox will not help.
Keep STRONG !
J-32
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 09:44

Hi J-32, I dont mind the questions. It is hard to scale it. I would say between 2-3. It wasnt hard but it was very wide in diameter. Before Surgery my no. Was about a 5
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby J-32 » 14 Aug 2013, 10:29

Hey I think it's good news no matter how strange does it sound. Just imagine that such a big one will not be any problem for you when everythig down there will be healed over Image 
J-32
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 10:43

Thanks J-32! I think tomorrow will have much better because I am not taking the supplement today.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 10:43

Thanks J-32! I think tomorrow will bemuch better because I am not taking the supplement today.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby resume » 14 Aug 2013, 11:13

Oh boy! I'm so sorry that your first bowel movement was so bad inneed. Can you imagine how it would've been if you hadn't had the surgery? Yikes! I never took the fiber supplements either because I was afraid something like that would happen. Just keep up with the stool softeners and water and your next one should be much better!
Stay strong inneed! You're doing great!
resume
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 11:23

Hey Resume! I told my mom and husband the same thing. If I hadn't had the surgery I would've probably been in the hospital! I will, thank you :-)
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 14 Aug 2013, 14:55

Hi inneed, congrats on going through with the surgery. It's such a huge step in healing an just remember, it's going to be a long road but I promise it'll all be worth it in the end.
I didn't have LIS, but I had a double fissurectomy, skin tag removal and skin tag removal.
Before my surgery, I used to have loads of fibre in my diet which meant my stools were MASSIVE! Like LOGS! and although they were soft like a Bristol 4, they would tear me every time.
After my surgery, I was given no real after are info, just eat plenty of fibre and drink water. This advice was not enough. I cut my fibre down to one wheatabix a day with flaxseed. Then stool softeners. Plenty of water. No junk food. And CHEWING ALL MY FOOD to pulp. Very important.
My first BM came 4 days after surgery, up until then I had no pain whatsoever. This BM which was huge to, was in fact the most painful I have ever had. It was horrendous and I was in tears not knowing what to do with myself after. I took some pain killers and sat in a bath for half hour. The next BM the following day was softer. Like toothpaste but stung the fissure site. Every day I would have a BM and the pain lessened everyday. It took about 3 weeks for the pain to go from 10/10 to 2/10.
I am 62 days post surgery and my BMs are twice a day, Bristol 5-6 and painless with no blood or pain after. I have a follow up appointment next month and hopefully will be told I'm healed. I will have to be careful the coming months with my diet but I'm in a much better place than before.
This forum is a great source of advice. Read some of the LIS diaries on here, they'll be more relevant but I just wanted to let you know it will get easier.
Hope that helps.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby inneedofahealing » 14 Aug 2013, 15:06

Hi Welsh, Thank you so much for the encouragement. I hope your appointment goes great! Reading the LIS diaries is one of the things that made me more at peace with surgery.
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather