Feeling great after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Feeling great after LIS

Postby omyrear » 17 Aug 2013, 19:40

I just had LIS on Thursday afternoon (2 days ago) and thought I would share my experience here, as I was obsessed with reading others' stories before surgery. Long story short, I got my fissure in late November 2012, tried nifedipine for a few months starting in April with some improvement, and by late June decided I was ready for LIS (I didn't want to waste time/money on botox after reading so many negative stories on here). I was terrified of surgery (not of surgery itself, but recovery) but just hoped for the best.
Prior to surgery I also developed a small abscess that hadn't completely gone away with antibiotics. My CRS said she would do whatever necessary to take care of it during surgery. When I woke up, the nurse told me I had LIS and a fistulotomy, which terrified me thinking of how much worse it would surely make my recovery. I was in a little bit of pain when I woke up, but actually hurt less than when I went into surgery. I was immediately given a pain pill, told to take 2 more 4 hours later before the numbness wore off and sent on my way home. I was in the hospital less than 3 hours.
By the time I got home, I was pretty much pain free. I went ahead & took 2 more pain pills 4 hours later as directed, but probably didn't need them. I felt no pain all night. I also took my normal fiber supplement & drank a ton of water that night. The next morning (yesterday) I took 1 teaspoon of milk of mag, as directed by my CRS (yes, only 1 teaspoon, less than a full dose). I had a very small BM with virtually no pain and just a little blood. I was pretty much pain free all day. Honestly, I probably could've gone to work yesterday.
My husband & I took our dogs for a short walk during the afternoon. After about 15 minutes, the fistulotomy site started getting a little irritated (only because I have to keep gauze on it and it was rubbing a little - I think my fistula must have been very minor & superficial because I don't have stitches or anything).
I've had 2 decent BMs today, both with a little pain & blood during and mild pain (2/10) after. Both times I've taken half a pain pill, just because I have them & didn't want to take a chance on the pain getting worse. My husband & I ran some errands this afternoon and then went out to eat.
Overall, I feel fantastic. So far (knock on wood) recovery has been easier than I had even imagined as best case scenario. I haven't had any incontinence whatsoever, not even gas, and very little pain. Aside from a handul of painless days here & there while using the nifedipine, the past 2 days have been the best I've had since the start of this whole ordeal. Fingers crossed that things continue in the same way! My husband & I are going camping and hiking at the Grand Canyon at the end of September and it looks like I just might get to enjoy it afterall!
If you're contemplating LIS, all I can say is do it! Two days in and I'm already so thankful I did it.
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Feeling great after LIS

Postby inneedofahealing » 17 Aug 2013, 20:47

Hi Omyrear, That is so good to hear! I believe it will continue to get even better. I had my LIS Monday and it is almost unreal how normal I feel besides my butt itching lol! I haven't had problems with incontinence either, I am very happy about that. My CRS kept saying the procedure was simple but I didn't think it would be this easy. At times I still get some reserve because my mind keeps going back to pre surgery days but I really believe that it will continue to get better from here. Congrats to you!
inneedofahealing
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby marg6043 » 17 Aug 2013, 22:40

omyrear, thanks for sharing your recovery with only two days post op, yours is one of the fastest recoveries so far I have read, is always a pleasure to read post like yours.
This is going to inspired many that are contemplating surgery but still having doubts about it.Image 
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Luka » 18 Aug 2013, 00:19

Hi there omyrear,
Thank you for sharing your LIS story. Sounds like you're doing a lot better and got through the surgery just fine. You must feel so relieved to have it over and done with.
I'm also considering surgery, but am still unsure since my pain comes in cycles and is not severe like when it first started last December. I also don't have health insurance. I'm going to make a final decision by the end of the year. Hearing so many success stories with LIS makes me very hopeful. Congrats and have a smooth and speedy recovery!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby resume » 18 Aug 2013, 10:54

That's wonderful news omyrear! It sounds like things are going great for you! Just don't overdo it and you should be back to normal in no time! (Hopefully in time for your trip :D)
Wishing you continued success and painfree days in your recovery omyrear! :D
resume
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Aug 2013, 12:12

Omyrear,
Thanks for a great inspiring read!
It just goes to prove that once you get through it, life just goes on as normal...
That was actually great timing with the fistula too - I know it must have seemed a bit of a double whammy at the time but at least you got to deal with two issues in one sitting!....
If your fistula was as superficial as it sounds, they don't take too long to recover from at all.
Fingers crossed also for you that you now go on to make full recovery as soon as possible & have a great trip.......that's really something to look forward to!.....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby omyrear » 19 Aug 2013, 10:00

Thanks everyone. I continue to have mild pain for a few hours after each BM. The pain is nowhere near as bad as the pre-surgery pain and feels different, so I believe it is just part of the recovery process. Hoping to be completely pain free soon!
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Postby J-32 » 19 Aug 2013, 10:05

omyrear do you have haemorrhoids? Sorry for such question.
I am wondering if they do LIS also when you have them.
J-32
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby omyrear » 30 Aug 2013, 14:22

Well, I spoke too soon. I started having a bit of pain again this week (about 1 week after LIS). Went back to my CRS today for my post-op checkup. She said the incision has healed up and looks great, but the fissure has opened again. She told me to start the nifedipine again and acted like it will heal up quickly. I'm feeling VERY frustrated by this. Has anyone else experienced this so soon after LIS and been able to heal it back up with nifedipine???
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Postby omyrear » 30 Aug 2013, 14:23

J-32, I do not have hems, but know there are others on the board who have had them and had LIS.
omyrear
Fibre Addict