soft stool

Need diet advise for fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: soft stool

Postby Claudia » 24 Sep 2013, 12:36

Thanks Scientist! I just plugged in the heating pad. Trying to see how it works..... yes it really helps :thankyou:

What do you think about proyein shakes? Is low fat milk a bad idea? The protein shake is soy based and has a yummy chocolate taste. I would not have to eat until night time with it. My BM would be reduced to once every two to three days.
Last edited by Claudia on 24 Sep 2013, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Sep 2013, 12:38

:D
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 Sep 2013, 15:28

Hi Claudia
All this is particularly painful when you're first dealing with it, but please hang in there because things WILL get better as Scientist says.
Oatmeal (Porridge)/ Weetabix is fantastic for soft stools, so great for breakfast or an evening snack.......Apple puree/ pears/ fruits/ all softly cooked veggies work wonders - (imagine what you would feed a weaning baby- Soft soft foods so their bodies start to digest properly and pass soft stools)....Beans / Soups/ Lentils/ Pulses are great too and go for brown foods rather than the whites (brown rice/ brown bread - although I eat Rye bread and I find this amazing)
It's the white refined pastries/ breads/ cake/ biscuits/ floury products that cause a lot of issues as well as tough red meats/ unripe bananas which are all hard to digest. Cheese, butter & yogurt are OK but in small amounts.
I use loads of Olive Oil and used to have a big spoonful a night to help pass stools easier. Now I take a 300mg Magnesium capsule and touch wood, have not had issues with BMs since....
Particularly helpful is applying a large dollop of Vaseline to your bottom prior to a BM, because this helps protect & lubricate the area.....
I would also aim for a Bristol 4-5 rather than the 6 because you are verging towards too much liquid! It seems like passing a liquid type stool is better at this stage but actually a very soft but better-formed stool is actually better for you.
It might also help you if you eat three lighter meals a day rather than just the one in the evening because it might be that if you are having just the one BM a day that it will be harder & more solid to pass, which is causing you to retear. No-one wants more than 1 BM a day but 2 very soft, easy to pass stools will be much gentler on your fissure than 1 difficult one. It's just a thought, if you do have this issue?
Drinking loads is so important because it helps flush your movements out well and helps against constipation. You really need to up your current amount and be aiming for around 3 litres a day - the amount you are drinking is possibly not enough. It doesn't have to be just water either - real fruit juices & lots of herbal teas also count! just stay away from fizzy sugary drinks & drink coffee in moderation. You need to be drinking enough so your urine runs clear (and yes, the downside is you may be on the toilet more peeing! but it is so important)
Lots of those prescribed creams are pretty useless with a raw fissure I have to agree, but for me the Diltiazem was a life saviour and helped reduce my pain considerably so stick with it!! and fingers crossed, it works for you too.
Lots of others here recommend Manuka Honey/ Raw Organic Coconut Oil/ A&D Ointment/ Vit E suppositries as very soothing (I used the Coconut Oil myself) so trying some of these could be worth a shot?? - Also Lidocaine has to be used very sparingly because it can actually thin the skin around the anus and cause further issues.
Finally, keep up with the hot baths for the reasons above and when you clean up, use wipes or better still just shower off using a warm shower head if you can - The less pressure and stress you put on the area, the better.
I really hope you are able to find a regime that works for you soon and decreases your pain - Just keep scouring this site for fantastic tips & advice & stay strong & positive!!! You will get through this :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Sep 2013, 15:36

Oh yes, as ETO says, a BM very 1-3 days isn't really often enough.
One reason (other than: you do want smaller BMs) is that the longer the stool is in the colon, the drier it gets. The colon's job is to recover water from stool, and it is very good at that job. Hence, you should stay hydrated, because then the colon doesn't get the message to conserve water, and also, pass your stools often so they don't get dry and hard.

You may have noticed that the first bit of stool out is darker and drier, and the next bit is lighter and softer - that's because the first bit of the stool is older, it has been in the colon longer, it is drier.

Stay hydrated and poop at least once a day if you can!
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Ever the Optimist » 24 Sep 2013, 15:39

Wise words from Scientist!! :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Claudia » 25 Sep 2013, 14:27

Hi Claudia
All this is particularly painful when you're first dealing with it, but please hang in there because things WILL get better as Scientist says.
Oatmeal (Porridge)/ Weetabix is fantastic for soft stools, so great for breakfast or an evening snack.......Apple puree/ pears/ fruits/ all softly cooked veggies work wonders - (imagine what you would feed a weaning baby- Soft soft foods so their bodies start to digest properly and pass soft stools)....Beans / Soups/ Lentils/ Pulses are great too and go for brown foods rather than the whites (brown rice/ brown bread - although I eat Rye bread and I find this amazing)
It's the white refined pastries/ breads/ cake/ biscuits/ floury products that cause a lot of issues as well as tough red meats/ unripe bananas which are all hard to digest. Cheese, butter & yogurt are OK but in small amounts.
I use loads of Olive Oil and used to have a big spoonful a night to help pass stools easier. Now I take a 300mg Magnesium capsule and touch wood, have not had issues with BMs since....
Particularly helpful is applying a large dollop of Vaseline to your bottom prior to a BM, because this helps protect & lubricate the area.....

Thanks to All your wonderful tips ETO! :thanx:
I made myself a list of things to shop for just now. First thing I'll do is get a waterbottle that holds a whole liter of liquid. I think the most important awakening I'm having is that I need to buckle down with a measurable routine and to keep a record of what I eat. I'm in my fourth week now and nothing has worked so far but I also haven't put my focus on a routine besides the one the doc gave me. I'm still ripping during each BM. My Bristol is about 3. Today is my thrid day with a solid veggie/ fish or veggie/ tofu diet. I'm of the protein shakes since they just stop me from pooping for three days. Milk is harder to digest I think.
One of the problems I have is that I can't get any ointment into the anus because it hurts like hell. Will the fissure heel without applying it inside the canal? I pray and hope and cross my fingers too. To get the stool soft and an overall routine is my focus now.
This is what's on the menu today: Water for breakfast, black bread with smoked salmon for lunch, carrots and broccoli with olive oil for dinner. 3+ liters of water, oinment and colace twice a day ( AM & PM), three hot/warm baths, Vaseline before each BM, Tuck wipes to clean with after. Sitting on heat pad 3 times per day for 15 minutes.

Wondering if the one slice of back bread which has whole rye, oat kernels and wheat germ in it will backfire.... I has 6 grams of fiber in it with a total weight of 72grams. Not exactly baby food... :roll:
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Sep 2013, 15:03

Hi Claudia, this problem of whether to put the dilt. inside or just outside, is one I really struggled with. It is supposed to be absorbed through the skin and it is supposed to be able to be put on the outside. The docs never gave me a clear answer on this, and I couldn't find it by reading,either.
I was never sure, but after a while I stopped trying to put it inside because I think it added to pain.
With the nitro there's no doubt. If it can get to your head to give you a headache, it can def. get to the internal anal sphincter from the outside!
And some people get headaches with dilt. and nif., so I think it's the same thing - it gets taken into the bloodstream, even from the outside.
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Sep 2013, 16:07

Hi Claudia
It sounds like you have a plan there! It's good to keep busy with experimentation and see what works & what doesn't....and yes, write down what you feel helps & what doesn't. Some people here keep regular diaries and are able to plot their recoveries pretty well and actually watch their healing progress.
Black bread is fantastic stuff - I eat two slices daily and this keeps my BM's soft and easy to pass, although it gives me a bit of gas too!! ....I know you don't eat so much, but perhaps a small bowl of Oatmeal might benefit you for breakfast too?? 3 litres of water a day is a great move - Just keep filling your water bottle and sipping!
I was able to apply my Diltiazem internally with not too much of an issue but depending on where your fissure is, it can be very painful for others, but rest assured, even if you apply externally, it does get into your blood stream and lots of people have had to apply it that way. Some have also used syringes (the type that come with some of the hem treatments when you buy them as its easier to get it internally....)
You're doing the best things you can right now, so just stay positive and focused and tell yourself every single day, no matter how bad or black it feels, that you ARE healing! You will get there......
Ever the Optimist

Postby Claudia » 26 Sep 2013, 11:41

I though I was gaining ground but last night I had 3 BM within an hours and oh boy I was not able to sleep all night. Feeling so in pain and even a bath did not help this time. I don't ever want to poop again. I know I'm supposed to stay positive but I just wish I'd feel a little improvement. It seems that I have three Af now (anterior and posterior) two at 12 o'clock and on at 6 o'clock. I need to cheer up somehow. I'm terribly stressed out and just want to get a handle on it. Today I will drink more water only eat vegetables soup and maybe some fruits. I'm taking a deep breath now. There is no giving up. I WILL heal EVERY day a little bit more.
Last edited by Claudia on 26 Sep 2013, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Sep 2013, 12:02

Hey Claudia,
It may be your system adjusting to some of the new dietary changes you are making, so just do it all nice & gently....Eat just 1 slice of black bread with something you know you handle well. Your stomach will react if you make radical changes quickly. It takes time and unfortunately, a fissure just doesn't get better overnight, as much as we want it to, so expect some painful times still whilst you start your recovery process. In my opinion, mentally adjusting to life with the fissure is the hardest bit because it's stressful and you feel you just can't get away from the pain because of where it is....Keep writing this stuff down, your pain levels and what you eat, how you feel etc....because you can look back on it and use it to your advantage. Are you also sure you have 3 fissures?? Sometimes the pain from one radiates so badly that everything feels worse than it actually is... I was always convinced I had 2 at one point but actually I didn't! ......
These will be your hardest days, but again, I can only stress, they will get better!.....Have you taken painkillers today? & switched on your heating pad? Have you a hot water bottle or a pet you can snuggle up to?? If you have no commitments for the evening (day??) ahead, can you just make yourself comfy and immerse yourself in a funny film, computer game or a good book??? If you can keep your mind busy and distracted from it for a while, it will help you mentally......
It stressed me out majorly I can't deny that, but I found distraction techniques a real help......Come on here anytime for a good old rant and let your frustrations out. Everyone totally understands !! - but do try and help yourself too in some small way at home & be kind to yourself........
:smilyhug:
Ever the Optimist