Hyperbaric Chamber for Wound Healing

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hyperbaric Chamber for Wound Healing

Postby revma3 » 21 Oct 2013, 19:54

Thanks for the update Igrik, much appreciated! I have made an appointment this Wednesday to visit with a private Hyperbaric Clinic and try and understand what they can do for me. As our issues are with the internal sphincter tightening and restricting blood flow, wondering how the oxygen or oxyganated blood can even flow there - however it is worth a shot! Super expensive and not covered by health care, makes me sad :( I look forward to your continued updates on what the wound looks like going forward.
revma3
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby vdb324 » 21 Oct 2013, 20:43

Please keep us updated. This really intrigued me when I was reading about it earlier this morning. Where are you located? I am going to guess that insurance in the US probably doesn't cover this... I was reviewing my insurance bill today, and they didn't cover my anesthesia for a tag removal. I'd like to see someone take a knife or scissors to their bum without anesthesia.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby revma3 » 22 Oct 2013, 18:55

I am in Toronto - it will cost $190.00 per session, and if my family doctor/GP writes me a referral, some of it can be tax deductable. I also went to see my colo rectal surgeon Dr Rudd today at the Rudd Clinic - waited 1.5 hours until he finally saw me for a total of 10 mins
He said I needed to just heal my surgical wound, and the fissure was tiny in compare, asked him about the pain and bleeding - he said nothing of consequence, other than it was all related to the wound. Come back in two weeks. I am very discouraged, and frankly don't trust them so much right now. I told him about my Hyperbaric idea and he laughed it off, said not worth it. Except I am going tomorrow anyway, just to get a feel for the place, look at the chamber, see if they have dealt with AF'S before.
I wonder if Igrik sees a big difference going forward. I hope so!
revma3
Salt Bather

Postby pinpin » 23 Oct 2013, 09:55

Well I agree, that issue is with tightening, but I don't think there is no blood flow completely. Otherwise we would get some necrosis in anal area.

So I am not saying it is panacea, but worth to try. This chamber is designed to help in different conditions and one of them wound healing. In my country one visit cost 10$, so I am paying out of my pocket, which is not big deal.

I am really sorry it is so expensive without insurance coverage in USA :(((

Generally my idea is to do something instead of nothing, if you can afford it. If it really would help like magic 100% I wound even pay 190$ out of pocket. But this procedure does not provide such success rate...
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby revma3 » 23 Oct 2013, 12:58

Thanks Igrik! What is the verdict on your wound with the therapy thus far? Do you dive everyday? For how long a day? I start tomorrow, 10 sessions cost me $2200.00 or so, I am really despearate and am willing to try anything with the exception of more surgery. The lady at the Hyperbaric clinic advised me they have treated one case of a non-healing wound following hemorrrhoidectmy, and she seems hopeful they can help. A very futuristic looking place and you can watch TV etc whilst being treated. I have to go everyday for 10 days straight and stay in the chamber for 1 hour. The government of Canada recognizes this therapy for wound healing, so I will give it a shot. Will keep everyone updated on my progress - I can't see my wound or fissure too well, but my friend is a nurse and she will check every 5 days for progress. I am praying and praying this works! One more question Igrik, did you continue the cream prescribed by your dr? I have Diltiazim an plan on continuimg usage. And finally do you bleed from ur wound or only pain?
revma3
Salt Bather

Postby pinpin » 24 Oct 2013, 15:58

Tomorrow I am about to have last session.
I dived every day for 1 hour, they suggested to do it without interruption - daily. I have asked, if they met anyone with same problem, but they told that don't have experience, however often having deal with wounds and chamber supposed to heal them. Nurse mentioned they have patients from heart surgeries to heal wounds quicker also.

I continued the cream, but reduced to once a day after BM in evening. You should be cream free when visiting chamber, and only in cotton wearings. There is some risk of fire, and creams are restricted to be on your body before procedure. So I just stopped applying the same diltiazem, given me by one of board members :)

I bleed very rare from wound, it happens once a week due to some hard BM. Usually I am just sore, in spasms, or in pain during BM. Wife committing that wound is reducing in size, well it should! 8 months are over :)
But even if it is smaller, life is not easier, I think even if you have small fissure, it still provided spasms and releated discomfort. So probably I will be symptoms free, when it will completely close up. Guess when....
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby revma3 » 24 Oct 2013, 18:53

Good to hear your wife thinks your wound is smaller, here is hoping it heals all the way! Umfortunatly I bleed with every bowel movement, but the pain is reduced somewhat. Sore rather than spasm. I had my first treatment today, I didn't feel anything during the dive other than se discomfert with ears popping (similar to airplane travel), and nothing really after that at all. I was in the capsule for 1 hour and have to go daily for 10 days. The folks at the clinic seem pretty hopefull, but then again, paying them to I suppose! I have been like this for 5 weeks and I am already at wits end, how you managed 8 months I don't know! What bothers me is that the doctors that performed the surgery seem to think this amount of time is fine, and I just need to wait. Doesn't make me very happy. I will update on wound after 5 sessions, no point just yet.
revma3
Salt Bather

Postby revma3 » 31 Oct 2013, 21:23

Hi Everyone,

Here is my update:
I am still bleeding from my wound when I have a BM and I still feel little twinges and tweaks from my fissure, however, my pain level has receded from 8/10 to 1/10. I am still using diltiazim for the fissure, but I have also had 9 hyperbaric sessions so far and they have made a difference. My wound from the hemm surgery appears to be healing, and I feel a lot better than I have in a long time. Most of the time I don't feel anything at all. BMs are painless, but I am still very careful, and have a hot bath in Epsom salt right after. I am still on my fissure diet - remember my issue was never constipation, dirrehea cause my fissure and pain compounded by large open wound from thrombosed hemm surgery and removal of skin tag. Anyway back to hyperbarics, I know there are some studies online relating to this and anal fissures. If you can find the means to try this - go for it, it really has made a huge difference for me so far.
revma3
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 01 Nov 2013, 03:55

That's great news!!!! Thanks for the update. Please keep updating!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby rio » 04 Nov 2013, 13:40

I am so glad that hyperbaric chamber helps.
I found two places offering hyperbaric ch. sessions in my home town. Both have small chambers for one person with maximum pressure 1,8 ATA I heard "serious" hyp. ch. reach more than that. (the session - 60 to 90 minutes costs 85 euro).
Igrik you mentioned you started with 1,4 ata, how much higher you went?
Revma, how much pressure was in your case?
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12