Weaning Off Diltiazem

diltiazem

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Weaning Off Diltiazem

Postby smiles18 » 05 Nov 2013, 16:50

I have a question for those using diltiazem. Has anyone had a re-tear while using the cream? If so, how did this affect the length of time you used the cream? I have been using it for about 5 weeks now, and I thought I healed but had a re-tear the other day. Does this mean I need to use it for another 6-8 weeks?
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby soffiler » 06 Nov 2013, 08:34

smiles18 wrote:I have a question for those using diltiazem. Has anyone had a re-tear while using the cream? If so, how did this affect the length of time you used the cream? I have been using it for about 5 weeks now, and I thought I healed but had a re-tear the other day. Does this mean I need to use it for another 6-8 weeks?

It is always best to check with the doctor who prescribed the cream to you.

In my case, I got my recent script from my primary care physician (PCP), who really isn't tuned up on AF. I knew all about diltiazem from my first tear back in '09, as it was prescribed by my colorectal surgeon (CRS) at that time. I have not been back to CRS yet, this time around... so I just asked my PCP for it this time and he happily obliged. But he can't give me much in the way of usage advice. Which is why I looked to the folks on this forum to see what they do.

I've been on the diltiazem (mine isn't "cream", it is made by a prescription compounder from diltiazem plus what looks to be petroleum jelly) for about 5 or 6 weeks, and it really started to work about three to four weeks ago. I've had mostly good days in these last 3-4 weeks but I have had a couple of small re-tears. I really think this healing process is one of those things where you go two steps forward, and sometimes one step back. Don't be discouraged. But, in my completely unprofessional opinion, stay on the diltiazem.
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby smiles18 » 08 Nov 2013, 14:36

Thanks, soffiler :)
smiles18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8