Fissure operation last week

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure operation last week

Postby LIS Cyprus » 18 Nov 2013, 14:11

Hi folks
Had my fissure op and two haemorrhoids removed last Wednesday. Been suffering with haemorrhoids for many years mostly caused by bouts of diarrhoea caused by gluten intolerance. After a bad spell of diarrhoea I developed a sore bum and treated as haemorrhoids. After 3 months and various visits to doctor I finally saw a surgeon who immediately diagnosed a fissure 2cm long and quite wide.
I have private medical insurance so was admitted to hospital the next day! No chance to freak out at the prospects of surgery. I had three nights in hospital and well looked after. Saw doc today who is happy with everything. Main points:
1. Was in pain for the first 12 hours and received pain relief injections had no pain killers since.
2. Had first bowel movement on day three.....no pain just discomfort.
3. Bottom very sore and mild pain on sitting still swollen underneath
4. Stitches will dissolve
5. Been taking stool softener

After having 4 good bowel movements since the op the second one today was quite painful I could feel things stretching. I had no bleeding so assume all ok and it was a bulky one! I have a good diet mostly gluten free and rarely constipated my problems caused by bouts of diarrhoea. Still taking stool softeners although doc said could leave them off.

I am at day 5/6 now, I was wondering how my recovery should go on from now....no general pain just very sore. Be glad to hear from fellow sufferers and their experience of surgery
LIS Cyprus
LIS Cyprus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Fissure operation last week

Postby rio » 18 Nov 2013, 14:26

Hello LIS Cyprus and :wel:
Glad to hear that your operation went well and that you are not in great pain.
Besides LIS, have you had your fissure operated too (I think it is called fissurectomy) ?
And your hemmorhoides, were they operated or settled on their own?
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby LIS Cyprus » 18 Nov 2013, 14:49

Hi rio
Thanks for reply. The haemorrhoids were removed during surgery and sent to histology. As far as the fissure is concerned he just did LIS, although things get lost in translation here. He filled my insurance claim form today and it's all Greek to me!
After the painful BM today little apprehensive about the morning. I suppose each BM is different re bulk etc. I also have a very small amount of leakage that I hope will stop completely. I see doc again on Friday.
LIS Cyprus
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby rio » 18 Nov 2013, 15:20

It is nice you had three days hospital care. I am not looking forward to my operation because it will be only few hours care.
I think 2 cm long fissure is big. Maybe on Friday doc will explain to you what he did exactly. Please keep posting about your progress. I hope your will be a success story and that BMs soon will not be as painful.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Nov 2013, 17:03

LIS Cyprus,
Congratulations on getting the op out of the way and to be honest, everything you write sounds totally normal at this stage! The area will be tender for a while but it's also quite amazing how things really start to heal when they do.......Soft soft BMs are key as you know and just a lot of bottom TLC!
As the area heals, the skin will become tighter as the wounds heals over & the stitches tighten a little, so BM's may be a little uncomfortable until your body gets used to things but it won't last. A lot of people on this site have recovered from these ops really well, so stay strong & keep believing you're healing well. All the very best to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again