Pre-op appointment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pre-op appointment

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2008, 13:14

I've been sent a pre-op appointment for 2pm tomorrow.
Does anyone know what kind of things they will be looking for? My sister-in-law thinks they might want to sort out my iron levels before I have a GA, no idea why.
It's not even really an op, I'm having a GA, but not even having the colonoscopy now, am having a sigmoidoscopy. Surgeon said that should be enough, he'll do the colonoscopy if he finds anything sinister.
I'm going to ask that they do the LIS while I'm under the GA if that'll help what's causing the problems :)
Hope you guys are all ok, I've been awol for a few days with a throat infection :(

Re: Pre-op appointment

Postby happyass » 27 Jan 2008, 13:52

hi anal angel,
well for my pre-op appointment, i didn't even have to have a blood test!
i didn't have GA when i did my colonoscopy; just simple twilight + versed. i would figure since the sigmoidoscopy would be less invasive, you would be able to get away with just twilight but i am not sure what kind of options they have in your country for these things.
with twilight, i woke up feeling as if i was never given any drugs. it was like if nothing ever happened but i did have a little cry of relief in front of the nurse because it was such a big ordeal for me to go through.
i hope all goes well with your pre-op appt. i am sure it will be okay. for now, just write down all your questions that you can think of and go over them then.
g.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2008, 14:13

anal angel, Im afraid I dont know the answer to your question as Im not that far along yet, but could I ask you one?
When you go to the first appt with the crs in England (I have one on wednesday) what do they do at that first appt. Will it just be a chat or do they do any tests?
Thanx and hope you sigmoid goes well!!

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Jan 2008, 14:44

HI Helen : ) !
Is the pre-op for sigmoidoscopy or LIS too ? For sigmo they will probably give you instructions about not eating night before and enema I guess, but if you are going for possible LIS consalt too - they will probably look into your butt and go over post-op care.
GOOD LUCK : ))) !!! And may they find nothing of a concern !!! Let us know how it was ; ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2008, 15:07

At my pre-op they had me sign a bunch of things and did a CBC and pregnancy test. They went over procedures, did a health and history, got my vitals.

I didn't realize you would need GA for a sigmoid. Are they doing that so they can do the LIS on the premises should you need one?

Bring all your questions tomorrow and let us know how things are going,

Hope your sore throat feels better!

Lecia

Postby val » 27 Jan 2008, 15:46

Hi helen,
sorry you've not been well, hope you're feeling better!
For my pre-op I had a blood test, just a simple blood count, not a huge load! Plus, they went over everything that was going to happen. They will probably do MRSA swab tests too, but thats just a cotton bud that they stick up your nose! I went to a private hospital, are you going NHS? so it may differ slightly, but probably not a great deal. I've had bad experience of the hospital in our area, but the one I went to was brilliant.
I had the sigmoidoscopy and they blow air in. That gave he absolutely horrific post-op wind, I thought I was having a heart attack! So dont panic if it happens to you!
Good luck, I thoroughly reccomend the LIS, it was my miracle cure, but obviously everyones different and not everybody would feel that way.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 27 Jan 2008, 15:57

Geeeeeeeez - I am lucky to be alive LOL !!!! Nobody tested anything pre -op , ha ha ha, just asked if I have any serious heart condition or diabetes, when was my last period and if I am allergic to something ! I guess now I know that I don't have any of the above since I am still breathing ; )))) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 27 Jan 2008, 16:09

Hi Fis,
how are you now?Are you still in any pain?
When is your check-up? Hope you are fully recovered now!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2008, 15:06

It all went ok :)
Thanks for you replies, my throat is feeling much better thanks :)
At the appointment they just did my BP, bloods for ferritin level (more so they can give me iron tablets after if neccessary, they said it didin't matter for the sigmoid), height and weight to calculate the anaesthetic.
I got my instructions for only drinking clear fluids after 7.30am, and they will do the enema once I am under the GA because of the pain.
The surgeon has requested a GA to keep me comfortable as I was in so much pain last time I was in to see him :) nice man.
My MRSA swabs came back clear, which is good as I had it in my ear Dec 06 when I had the abscess removed (how I got it in my ear I have no idea!!)
I asked about having the LIS while I was already under GA, but they said to talk to the surgeon when I go in. I would rather get it all over in one go if possible :)
UKfizz - on my first appointment I had a rectal examination and they just asked a few questions about diet etc. I was given Anoheal and another appointment to go back in 6 weeks.
At my 2nd appointment I was given Movicol and more Anoheal, and I was told they were doing a colonoscopy (now changed to a sigmoidoscopy). They seem to decide quite quickly what's going to happen :) Good luck with your appointment.

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Jan 2008, 15:57

Helen : ) - That is great news ! Thanks for having us posted ! It looks that you are in good an caring hands and that we will soon have one more happy ending : ))) !!! Good luck with sigmo and all ! You are so lucky that they will administer enema for you while you are asleep - I have to admit that having enema for me was the most painful experience in my life !!!! I ended on the bathroom floor sobbing and shaking of pain and had to take a nap after that just to calm down and have enough strength to dress up and go to surgi- center. GOOD LUCK with everything !!!!
VAL - thanks for asking : )) ! I am almost discomfort free - it is only my skin tag that sometimes acts up, but it is also less and less. I now use only Vaseline to protect my butt and it works well.
Once in a blue moon I have small "pinch" kind of pain in my butt,
with no connection to anything - I guess stuff is still "rearranging"
down here. Sometimes my tail ache - but again, nothing major. Oh, I always forget to ask you - did you have stitches where he cut off your tag and did you ever find the courage to look "down there" : ))) ????
Hope you are having major fun time now that you are fissure and pain free!!! Image XOXO
Fissulyna
VIP