Probably a stupid question, but...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion




Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby John667 » 03 Jul 2018, 21:28

When I clean the area in the shower, I can feel something that could be swollen behind the anus. I don't know if it's normal or not. Feeling of a knot or something alike. It's right below the anus and I can feel it under the skin. Should I worry or is it perfectly normal and there are strong muscles there? (I never had the "chance" to touch someone else anus at this particular place so I don't know what is normal or not). Thanks and sorry if it's a stupid question. Just not sure if I have AF and only AF or maybe something else.
John667
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 18
Topics: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2018, 14:23
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby patience_and_healing » 03 Jul 2018, 22:25

Is the lump painful? It could be just a swelling related to the trauma that the area is experiencing. The best thing would be to get checked by a colorectal specialist. It's impossible for us to diagnose this over the internet.
patience_and_healing
King Fissure
 
Posts: 687
Topics: 28
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 15:46
Location: California
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Gender: Female

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby John667 » 04 Jul 2018, 05:59

patience_and_healing wrote:Is the lump painful? It could be just a swelling related to the trauma that the area is experiencing. The best thing would be to get checked by a colorectal specialist. It's impossible for us to diagnose this over the internet.


No, it's not painful.

Problem is my doc wants me to get a colonoscopy and really I'd like to avoid it because I'm confident the problem is not in the colon but closer to the end of the road. Would a proctologist would be a good idea. What's the difference between a colorectal specialist and a proctologist?

I'm not looking for a diagnosis over the Internet, but simply to know if someone else experienced the same thing or if it's normal.

Thanks
John667
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 18
Topics: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2018, 14:23
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Jul 2018, 08:17

A proctologist is just another name for CRS. Since you're approaching the age at which a first colonoscopy is recommended, it could be a good idea to go ahead with it. Plus you have a swelling in the area which should be evaluated further. The important thing is whether or not you trust your doctor to do the procedure without causing more pain. Ask if a muscle relaxant ointment could be applied to the area beforehand to reduce chances of injury.
patience_and_healing
King Fissure
 
Posts: 687
Topics: 28
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 15:46
Location: California
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Gender: Female

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby John667 » 04 Jul 2018, 14:51

patience_and_healing wrote:A proctologist is just another name for CRS. Since you're approaching the age at which a first colonoscopy is recommended, it could be a good idea to go ahead with it. Plus you have a swelling in the area which should be evaluated further. The important thing is whether or not you trust your doctor to do the procedure without causing more pain. Ask if a muscle relaxant ointment could be applied to the area beforehand to reduce chances of injury.


Yes I know... Problem is I don't trust a colonoscopy because from what I've read it can do more damage than good. About 0.5% complication seems like a lot, not talking about how people get sick like hell from the stuff they make you drink + I've read people who became incontinent after that and had lot of trouble to get back a normal gut with bacteries...

That's why I'm trying to avoid it as I feel the problem is at the end (no pain, no problem, nothing bad until the end).

When you are talking about the "procedure", are you talking about the colonoscopy or the proctologist/CRS looking with his finger?
John667
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 18
Topics: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2018, 14:23
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby patience_and_healing » 05 Jul 2018, 00:45

I understand that there are risks, personally I think colonoscopies are scary too. It's just that the risk needs to be weighed up against potential benefits. The procedure I was referring to is colonoscopy. For examining a fissure, a skilled doctor doesn't need to do a digital rectal exam. They can usually find it just by looking carefully from the outside.
patience_and_healing
King Fissure
 
Posts: 687
Topics: 28
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 15:46
Location: California
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Gender: Female

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby John667 » 05 Jul 2018, 12:04

patience_and_healing wrote:I understand that there are risks, personally I think colonoscopies are scary too. It's just that the risk needs to be weighed up against potential benefits. The procedure I was referring to is colonoscopy. For examining a fissure, a skilled doctor doesn't need to do a digital rectal exam. They can usually find it just by looking carefully from the outside.


I was also thinking about a sigmoidoscopy. What's your take on this? It seems easier than a colonoscopy. You don't need to drink the awful gallon of crap that makes you sick.
John667
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 18
Topics: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2018, 14:23
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby patience_and_healing » 06 Jul 2018, 11:58

I think a sigmoidoscopy doesn't go as far up the intestine, and it only used in limited cases. Maybe your doctor will be okay with that as a compromise.
patience_and_healing
King Fissure
 
Posts: 687
Topics: 28
Joined: 24 Feb 2017, 15:46
Location: California
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Gender: Female

Re: Probably a stupid question, but...

Postby John667 » 06 Jul 2018, 18:57

patience_and_healing wrote:I think a sigmoidoscopy doesn't go as far up the intestine, and it only used in limited cases. Maybe your doctor will be okay with that as a compromise.


I think it's OK for the anus and the rectum. If the problem is in the colon, it's not enough I think.
John667
Fibre Addict
 
Posts: 18
Topics: 4
Joined: 03 Jul 2018, 14:23
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Gender: None specified


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests