Retear woes

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Retear woes

Postby small_flower » 17 Apr 2007, 12:06

I think i retore this stupid fissure again!!! Its driving me nuts. It seems that if i dont get my 25 grams of fiber, and drink a TON of water, then I am going to have problems the next day when I have to go to the bathroom. Image This morning I had that same problem that a lot of people seem to have. The beginning of my BM is hard, and then the rest of it is soft. It was also quite bulky. I dont know what to attribute this to, if its not drinking enough water, or too much fiber or what. 25 grams seems to be my magic number...but anyways....
Its just getting realllly frustrating...i'm scared that I am going to end up like I did, with a chronic fissure that needs surgery. Its hard for me to keep on this diet, because I have to think about everything I eat and drink. All the time. Im 23! I shouldn't have to think so hard about that kind of thing...but alas...here I am.
I am trying to decide if I should go back to my CRS before april is over, so I can have him look at it. Just to be safe....apparently my insurance covers me until the end of the month :cheer: so thats good. What do you guys think??? I think it couldn't hurt, but what if he tells me to just keep doing what i'm doing???
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Retear woes

Postby Guest » 17 Apr 2007, 14:00

Dear Kate,
I am so sorry you are still have retear issues. You are right-at your age you shouldn't have to be worrying about this. You should be able to eat mozzarella sticks and drink beer like I did.
I think the key for now is to do what you know works. It is not easy I know to get that much fiber and liquids in but I think for maybe 6 months try to make it your goal. Do you like cereal? I eat All Bran buds which gives me about 20 grams right there. It isn't tasty but I put some sweetener and vanilla soy milk on and its taste okay. That way I get most of my fiber for the day in one sitting.
I would go see the doctor since you have insurance. Does it expire when you graduate or something? Is it your parents? I thought you could still stay on it for 6 months post-graduation?
I feel for you. That is the pits having to deal with but if you could keep up the high fiber/water regimen for 6 months or so maybe you won't have to deal with it ever again. I take a fiber/acidopholis supplement that really helps called fibermucil from Andrew Lessman vitamins. Also the fish oil and flax oil help too. I wish you didn't have to worry about this. It seems crazy that a young person like you would have to worry about fiber pills and stuff but at least with youth on your side you will pull out of this!
Let us know how you are doing-everything will be okay!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Apr 2007, 14:42

Maybe you could keep a food/emotional diary that keeps track of what you eat, what your BMs are like, and how you feel each day. That might help you pin down what food or foods cause the hard BMs.
How do you know you re-tore? Was it bleeding, or pain, or both (+ the hard BM).
Please try to get zinc in your diet, and vitamin C. They both help you heal. And B-vitamins are good for tissue integrity.
Yes, I would see the CRS. Again. However, I think (as a non-professional) that in all liklihood you won't need the surgery again. Your sphincter is cut. That is permanent. You just have to start the 4-6 week healing process all over again.
You aren't having spasms, are you?
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 17 Apr 2007, 15:50

Hi Lecia and Kim
Yeah...Im really frustrated, but I know that it could be worse, so i am still trying to stay on track..I feel guilty sometimes though because I just don't do it sometimess...sometimes that rebellious part of me sort of quietly convinces me that I can get away with it if i take the softeners...but....not so. I know this but for some reason, i manage to convince myself otherwise.
Kim, it hurt when I passed the stool, and there was a little blood on the tissue paper. I guess thats how I know. I also get this pins and needles sensation every once in awhile. I have vacation this week though (thank god) so I will spend a lot of time in the bath tub. Good idea eh?
Whats really crazy is I remember having the spasms from a really early age. While i DONT have them now...not since the surgery...I wish that I had spoken up more as a child. I tried once and the doctor looked at me like I was an alien, so i just shut my mouth then and there. Perhaps it was the way I was trying to describe it.
Anyways....yes....really frustrated....upset....unmotivated....disappointed...etc....but what can I do except try try and try again...and perhaps pray.
So B, C and zinc eh? Well i already take 1000mg capsules of C...and i should get back to my daily vitamin. Is there anything I can take that would help the skin down there be more elastic? Or perhaps increase blood flow to the area?
Thanks a lot for your support guys, it means a lot. I wish I didn't need it, but...i guess this is one of those bumps you were talking about.
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 17 Apr 2007, 16:30

Kate,
I am glad you have vacation this week. It will be a perfect time to get back on track with everything. I was wondering if your doctor might prescribe some diltiazem cream like I am using? I don't know if it would help or not since you have had the surgery it might be a moot point but maybe it is a possibility.
Thanks for the zinc rec, Kim! I didn't know about that one. I take 1,000 mg of C a day. One in the am and one in the pm. Anymore than that it makes me have loose stools that burn from the citric acid. I am taking some supplements that are supposed to help with vascular support. I take Coq10, Rutin (which is a bioflavanoid similar to C), Healthy Leg Veins and Diosin/Hesperedin. I mostly take these to prevent hemorrhoids but maybe it could help in general with tissue health and intregity too.
I bet tomorrow it will be better and is just a minor bump in the road. I prayed for you today that you get better soon and will as long as you need me to!
lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 17 Apr 2007, 17:07

After reading your second post, I feel better about your situation. Don't sweat it. You're still tender down there and I still had bleeding about 3-4 weeks out from the surgery. Gradually I went from blood in the water to a little smear of blood on the tissue to pink stains, and now, nothing.
Eat lots of fruit! Lots! Not only will it give you lots of fiber and nutrients, it will (gradually) make your sex life better! But avoid cantalopes and other melons.
Relax! Your gonna make it, baby!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 18 Apr 2007, 19:58

The update as of now is:
I am doing all that I can...fiber wise...water wise....softener wise....and I am itching again...which i guess means that I am healing. I am managing not to scratch, which is good for me. I just got out of the bathtub. I also have no plans whatsoever tomorrow, so I will be able to take my baths, and eat really well, and take a walk, since it will be the first time it hasn't rained in a week in my parts. Thats all for now. I see my CRS on the 27th at 9:20. Lets hope for good news.
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2007, 20:08

Sounds all positive! This will pass-just you wait and see.
Don't walk too far-no hiking! I know for me when I have to walk a lot and the fissure is acting up the friction seems to aggravate it.
Have a restful week and peace in your heart,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Apr 2007, 11:07

Wow, how on Earth do you keep from scratching that itch. Mine was ridiculously powerful! Good going!
I agree with Leish, don't overdo the walking, I had the same problem with friction. I also noticed if I ever strectched my legs, like to take a big step up, that was a no-no!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 20 Apr 2007, 06:01

hi kate,
i am glad you got it under control.
remember that healing is a process and with the LIS, it can take a good 6 months-1 year to really recover.
i think you are only a few months out from your procedure.
my CRS did state that taking the 'magic number' of fiber for you daily is a MUST....no ifs, ands, or butts!!!! about it......
good luck....and enjoy your vacation.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74