SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby tiredofpain » 10 Apr 2012, 09:39

Tanya,
I like your comparison to streching.. That is exactly what it feels like.
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby workingonit » 10 Apr 2012, 11:05

Thanks TP,
I think I was just in to much of a hurry. Stretching is a slow gradual business. Especially when dealing with scar tissue.
That's some great info your doctor gave you. Thanks for sharing! I think that is pretty much how I got my AF. Cause I am not prone to constipation.
I think even when my sphincter stretches fine, the muscle above it, that got cut with my episiotomy, doesn't because of the scar tissue. Probably less elastic too, since I started premenopause symptoms a couple years ago.
Do you still get the spasms?
Nothing like a good massage eh?! lol :D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tiredofpain » 10 Apr 2012, 12:34

I had stiches after my first delivery too, and that is when my BM problems started :(. I had been using nifedepine .2% to heal the fissue. Used it for two weeks, and once the fissure became dormant, started the massage and also the small dilation with fingers only. I still have to push a little get the BM out, but no spasms so far for few weeks (Now since I said this, wonder what the fissure is going to do tomorrow :roll: )
I have been using just magnesium supplements with zinc, prunes and prune juice (which I actually like !!), with lots of natural fibre diet. Wonder if I have to add some other fiber also to increase the bulk. My BMs are soft but still have to push to get it going, which I do not like. Not sure what else to do about that..
Also .8inch dilator does hurt a little, but there was no spasms after trying. Will wait for another week to try againbefire trying again.
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 11 Apr 2012, 22:13

This is encouraging... I hadn't thought of the cold factor being useful, but i might try cooling the dilator first to see if it makes a difference.
http://www.pakumed.de/products/anokryo/studie_en.php
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby tiredofpain » 12 Apr 2012, 07:47

jr2,
That is an interesting article. I would be careful using cold dilator at first. I read it somewhere that it can cause the sphincter to tighten up. So first make sure you loosen the sphincter by using just glowed finger with good lubricant. I also read on another post people warm up the dilator first to get the sphincter to relax. So start really (really!) slow with just finger first. You do not want to aggravate the fissure. Deep breathing is helpful and I usually push down a little while inserting the finger.
Tania and Baba, I have to report some positive effects of simple massage with finger. I 've been massaging daily before sleep for more than a week, by using just glowed finger to massage and expand the sphincter little by little. I will do this for 5 minutes each day .
Today morning my BM looked much larger and did not cause any discomfort to pass! I have not used any dilator for a week. So the massage by itself seems to have positive effect ! (Again I hope I did not jinx the good effects :roll: ).
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 12 Apr 2012, 09:02

TP
Yes, this is what I initially thought too... But, if the sphincter is spasming in response to pain of the fissure, it also makes sense that the anesthetizing effect of cold could make the muscle more relaxed. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. I also hadn't considered the other positive benefit of using cold therapy, which the article points out. Any area that you apply cold to in the body will have a resulting hyperemia as the tissue warms up again after withdrawal of the cold. Drawing more blood into the area and increased circulation will also have a positive healing effect on the fissure.
You are so right about taking things really slowly and carefully. I'm so glad to hear you are seeing improvement with massage and gentle finger dilation. Hooray for steps forward!
jr2

Postby Baba » 12 Apr 2012, 10:05

Interesting ideas. Years ago while healing one of my fissures I found a gadget (can't remember the name) in the drug store that you kept in the freezer and then insert it during a spasm. It was about the size of your index finger. It did feel good, but whatever was in it didn't stay cold very long and I got frustrated with it and threw it out.
Since then I've kept my eye open for something similar but never came accross it again.
TP good to know you're having such success just with a finger! :D My hands are always so cold I can do both at once - a cold massage Image
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 12 Apr 2012, 10:11

jr2

Postby tiredofpain » 12 Apr 2012, 10:26

That is a great find Jr2 :)
Cryotherpy should be used with caution though, too much cold can actually damage the muscles. So duration of application does matter. I have tried both hot and cold application after the fissure and when the fissure is painful, applying cold does feel good because of the numbing effect.
LOL Baba.. too funny.. I will try applying ice to my finger before the massage one of these days :)
What all we discuss in this forum. I share some of this with my husband and he gets a good laugh out of our misery :D
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Postby Baba » 12 Apr 2012, 10:38

Thanks jr2. Yes, that's it, only mine didn't have the wide base. Hmm, think I'll try that again and have to mention it to my daughter who has nasty hems since her last babe.
Tp - glad your hubby has a sense of humour! Best to have a sense of humour about it otherwise it's just too gross to think of.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3