SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby jr2 » 12 Apr 2012, 10:39

tiredofpain...
Yes, so it's definitely better to use a device that is designed to be cooled to a specific temperature, and no colder. Dilatan dilators and Anuice, for example.
It is amazing what this kind of pain will drive us to try out, and to discuss! lol
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby tiredofpain » 12 Apr 2012, 10:50

I do have the smallest dilation set.. Will try to use that with cold.
They come in sets of two the smallest one was fine, but the next bigger one had a small protrusion on the top, which can cause issues with fissure.
I have not used these yet will try them.

TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby workingonit » 26 Apr 2012, 15:13

I had a re-tear the other day. Not sure why. But I believe if I had progressed to a larger size it would have helped prevent that. But I hadn't and I am waited for the dilatan dilators to arrive. So sick of this all. So I went to the NATCM clinic in Burnaby, BC. They are expensive but guarantee their work. They say 2 weeks, of them applying herbs to by anus every day. So I will have to not dilate during that time.
Not sure if I will dilate or not afterwards.
I guess I will play it by ear.
Hope you all are doing well with the dilating!
I read another post on the yahoo fissure site this morning of a guy in the UK who healed himself from a years-long af affliction by dilating. Said he went up to a 2" size!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tiredofpain » 26 Apr 2012, 15:21

Tania,
So sorry to hear you had a tear ! I would suggest that if you can tolerate it use just finger to massage for 6 minutes. I have been using only finger and so far so good! I slightly push on the sides to expand the sphincter. Also do sitz bath before and after massage.
The massage relaxes the sphincter and I can feel it. I do this before sleep, if I feel things are tight or slightly sore down there.
Also nifedepine .2 % is what I used to heal the fissure before using the massage.
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 15:37

Tanya...
Im with you on the re-tear... me too, and a new fissure in a new spot too... sigh... I'm so sorry you're there too, but so excited to hear you went to the TCM clinic and so crossing my fingers for you that this will work.
I saw that post over on yahoo too. 2 inches... I can't get beyond the 15 mm!
Tiredofpain...hooray that you are feeling so much better with the massage... Keep up your routine that is working so well! I'm so happy for you!
jr2

Postby Baba » 26 Apr 2012, 15:56

Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear that. How frustrating!!
I have been doing well, and have stopped doing the dilators, as I was just so weary of all that fooling around - I've got better things to do :D The other day I had some mild pain after a BM, so now I'm on edge and extra careful again, wondering if I can ever cut back on the stool softeners.
TP I think that's a good idea to do the massage with your finger - that way you have better control and can use whatever lubricant works best. I still don't like using water based lubricant with the dilators, I think that's why I lost interest in using them.
Jr2, I wonder if some people and especially ladies just have smaller anuses to begin with. 2" sounds like a horse's behind Image
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 16:05

Baba..
I think that's true. I think i would definitely have to be unconscious for a 2 inch dilator! Interesting about the massage too ... There is some doctor in India I think who actually performs sphincterotomy with his finger only, no incision. Under anesthesia he pretty much splits the muscle laterally with the force of his finger instead of using a scalpel, and has had just as high a success rate as the traditional way. So, with massage and gentle stretching with fingers at home it might afford more control, and yes, you can use the lube of choice. The funny thing is I don't have any trouble at all dilating with a finger, or even gently stretching the sides, but even the smallest dilator is difficult for me to insert.
jr2

Postby workingonit » 26 Apr 2012, 16:35

Baba,
I remember reading Dr. Sohn's recommended dilation sizes for controlled dilation are smaller for women than men.
Jr,
I don't know about that doc in India. It just doesn't sound controlled enough, like 'lord's dilation' compared to SAD. Hope you are improving since the latest re-tear!
I am weary of it all too. That's why I opted to try the TCM.
But if it doesn't work either, I'm pretty sure the dilation will still work, but I need to work up to closer to 30mm.
Sounds like things are going OK for you TP? I wish it was easier to reach that area to massage. It always feels so awkward Image
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Savaici » 06 Aug 2012, 12:40

Hello, all on the self-dilating who are still here!
Through reading through the posts, I have seen that Tanya had success with the herbs - so happy for her, and if you see this, so happy for you, Tanya. And all who have had success with dilating, do keep going with your stories for the rest of us!
Well, just a little of my continuing saga. I have seen 4 CRSs in all over the past four months, had a sigmoidoscopy without sedation (just fentanyl which was horrid), been prodded and pricked, and still not really had any answers… still on the suffering every day boat. What they told me was: tight ass; large internal hemorrhoids and diverticulosis. They – other doctors – want to do a bit more, but I cannot afford it right now, as it is not simply a trip down the road, but a one and a half hour flight, hotels, etc.
Anyway, I have decided to take the dilation a little more seriously and have ordered and got some very small dilators - going to start at 8mm - and waiting for various lubricants to arrive before I get going. In the meantime, I have found that a little massage of the outside of the anus does relieve things a little, but does not really take away the pain. So, I am going with the massage, and maybe using my pinkie finger to start off with.
What I have not learned in all this saga is not there to be learned.
This is just a note to give my off and on progress. And I really hope that you are all doing well!! Image
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jr2 » 06 Aug 2012, 13:45

Hi Savaici,
So funny because I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were doing. So glad to read an update from you, but I wish it was better news. I had hoped that you were off the board and feeling better.
So funny too because I'm thinking of getting more serious about self dilation again. 15 mm isn't a problem for me, but I can never seem to go any larger than that, and 15 mm is clearly not enough to get my multiple fissures to stay healed. I've seen 3 different doctors, none of whom feel LIS is an option for me due to my GI problems and poor history tolerating surgery. Since there aren't any local doctors who perform standardized dilation I'm pretty much on my own to figure out how to cope and get this pain level down. Unless by some unforeseen miracle I'm able to travel to the east coast, but that isn't likely.
I hope you will continue to pop in now and then and update us on your progress.
jr2