So I went in for my surgery today...

...and the doctor ended up not doing it!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

So I went in for my surgery today...

Postby RushJet » 14 Nov 2014, 20:49

I went in today for LIS, after having tried everything else to fix my issue. However, I woke up after the surgery was supposed to have happened to find that my doctor decided not to go through with it. She told me that my sphincter was not tight enough to warrant the clip, and was concerned that doing so would result in a greater risk of incontinence. I respect her decision 100%, but it's frustrating that I was so worked up over having made the decision to take the risk, only to wake up and instead of having a "fix," I am back to square one. I was previously told that I had a high resting pressure, so I don't know what the deal is...

She is now recommending that we look into the flap surgery. I guess now I have to start researching that one... another victory for the fissure. Seven years and counting.
RushJet
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: So I went in for my surgery today...

Postby Scientist2516 » 15 Nov 2014, 11:03

Oh no! That is so odd. I wonder how much anal resting pressure varies day by day? It's good your doctor was able to assess the situation in the moment, but I certainly see how it's frustrating.
I hope you get some resolution SOON.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: So I went in for my surgery today...

Postby Worrier12345 » 16 Nov 2014, 04:36

It must be terribly frustrating for you and I'm sorry that your recovery may take longer. However, I just had LIS, my surgeon said not to worry about manometry tests. But now I wish that I'd had them done as I seem to be facing an incontinence/soiling problem. You might want to read my post about it just now. It seems that cautiousness is preferable to the chance of permanent problems.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13