So who's had a fissurectomy??

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

So who's had a fissurectomy??

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2007, 08:28

I'm scheduled for LIS in two weeks and the CRS said he may also do a fissurectomy if needed? Has anyone had this done before and if so, what's the pain level like?

Re: So who's had a fissurectomy??

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2007, 14:02

Keep us posted on how it went for you. My doc has also suggested the same. I'm feeling better and trying to avoid the surgery for now, but 2 weeks ago i was seriously ready for it.

Postby happyass » 08 Oct 2007, 18:36

i think chris you will be fine either way.
i have not had it but i think it is just getting rid of the skin around the fissure that does not heal and then cauterizing it to allow for healing to take place.
i know someone on this board has had it along with numerous other things.
if you want to feel calm, i would maybe suggest a second opinion or else let the chips fall where they may.
but i hope you are able to keep your anxiety down a bit - if you have any - as it may upset your BM and come out hard. i am super sensitive that way.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2007, 08:34

Thanks HA.
I'm going to let the chips fall where they may. My anxiety is at an all time high, but I'm looking forward to a steady drop after the surgery.
I'll keep the board posted.

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2007, 11:17

I know everything will go well for you, Chris. We'll be praying and thinking about you.
One bit of advice I found to be helpful to avoid constipation is to get right on Milk of Magnesia right away. That can keep any post-surgical constipation to a minimum.
If you want a non-constipating heavy duty medicine you can ask for Toradol instead of narcotics too. The pain relief though is not as good and I probably should have used a combo but it may at least cut down the amount of narcotics you need.
Good luck!

Postby juney » 09 Oct 2007, 11:20

just a note chris, i took milk of magnesia for constipation from painkillers after surgery. i took 3 tablespoons like it said on the bottle before i went to sleep. my stomach was in a mess for a full 36 hours after that and i had at least 5 runny liquidy bms. i'd never taken MOM before so maybe that's why it affected me the way it did, but i just wanted to warn you. it definitely cleaned me out, but it wasn't pleasant.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 09 Oct 2007, 12:43

Thanks Lecia and Juney,
I'm taking 3 Colace with breakfast and then one at night, 250 mg of magnesium three times a day, and metamucil twice a day. My plan after surgery is to take another serving of metamucil at lunch and, to Lecia's point, take some miralax as soon as I get home.
I'm going with Miralax because I've used it once and know how I'll react to it.

Postby buttgirl » 10 Oct 2007, 09:32

3 tablespoons of MOM is a really hefty does. I take the antacid dose which is 1T. More than 2 and I get the squirts.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67