Stiches after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stiches after LIS

Postby Anne37 » 30 Apr 2013, 05:37

Image Hi, I am new to the forum and am joining a bit late in the game. I had LIS and a fissurectomy last Thursday, so... 5 days ago. Yesterday I finally felt a little normal as far as the anesthesia wearing off goes. I'm on Ibuprofin around the clock, and Tylenol every 6 hours (as needed). I think I'm going to start weaning myself off of today. I never took the oxycodone prescribed post surgery because I was so afraid of getting constipated. All in all, I am in less pain than I was pre-surgery, but am a bit disappointed that BMs still hurt so bad. Am I ever going to not dread pooping again? On the bright side, the pain lasts about 15 minutes at this point vs. the 8-12 hours it was lasting before LIS. My question... how long does it take for the stitches to start to dissolve? They started feeling pretty tight yesterday and today are even tighter - to a point I'm scared I'm going to break them any time I move. I'm hoping someone will have some insight for me?
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Stiches after LIS

Postby suzyljank » 30 Apr 2013, 06:50

Hi, I'm glad your surgery is over and you are on the road to recovery. LIS loosens the muscle so your fissure can heal so at this point you still have a fissure. The surgery allows the blood to get to the area now so your fissure can start to heal. The fact that your pain is so much shorter is a good sign. You might want to try warm sitz baths if they are allowed. They will help keep the fissure sight clean and the warm warm will also encourage blood flow. Continue with your stool softener and diet. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully very soon you'll be back to a normal life. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Anne37 » 30 Apr 2013, 11:53

Hi, Suzy. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am doing at least 3 warm baths a day. Today I've already had 3 BMs (and it's only 2 p.m.), so 3 baths already. Ugh! I think it's time to cut back on the stool softeners a bit (currently taking 2 3x/day with meals), but I'm so nervous to do that and wind up at the other extreme! I just read your thread.... You're quite the trooper. How are you doing?
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby suzyljank » 30 Apr 2013, 12:26

I'm doing okay. I developed a rash on the sides of my butt not near the surgical site. It itches and the doctor thinks it's an allergic reaction to the surgical scrub so I have to use some ointment on it. I know it's going to be a long recovery but I'm hanging in there. Thanks for asking Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?