Post Surgery Advice? (LIS, fissurectomy, skin tag removal)

After surgery questions... sulfadiazine?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post Surgery Advice? (LIS, fissurectomy, skin tag remova

Postby JaiShriRam » 16 Aug 2018, 11:06

Hi PreggoAF,

My CRS has advised me to apply Diltiazem 30 mins before a BM and a turmeric based ointment after a BM. This to be continued for 60 days post surgery. CRS never mentioned anything about returning to original tightness... Now m worried. Does something like tightness happen after a LIS ???
JaiShriRam
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby PreggoAF » 16 Aug 2018, 14:03

That’s interesting. I wonder if I should be using diltiazem. From what I have read, the sphincter muscle will regain an average of 80% of its original tone by the time a year has passed from surgery. Recurrent fissures after LIS are statistically unlikely but I don’t want to fall into the unlucky few that end up having my fissure come back so I’ve been contemplating the diltiazem
Chronic fissure: January 2018
Diltiazem since Feb 2018
Miralax and Magnesium
LIS, tag removal, hems banded: July 2018
PreggoAF
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby mike1971 » 16 Aug 2018, 14:39

Jai....diltizaim 30 minutes before a bm and turmeric paste after?

Is this the same CRS who used the biolite incisionless laser thingy and prescribed Flagyl antibiotic?

Weird.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Da_butt_tho » 16 Aug 2018, 17:53

Hey all! Glad to see many progressing! PreggoAF - my surgeon told me I could continue diltiazem as needed, but he’s pushing extra fiber in order to bulk stools and assist in maintaining some ability to stretch ... I’ve been a bit worried about returning to the original level of tone as well- so as much as I don’t care for fiber supplements, I may try to appease him a bit to see if it helps!
Da_butt_tho
Fibre Addict

Postby mike1971 » 16 Aug 2018, 18:28

Hi what is this "stretch" you all speak of?

Is it of benefit for the sphincter muscles in this case?

My CSR also suggested I eat Wheat Bran cereal with psyllium husk to bulk up my stool. To help with constipation and slight leakage after a bowel movement.

Does diltiazem help in any way? I have some but my original surgeon prescribed it for pain shortly after my fistulotomy surgery. I only used it a couple times.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Da_butt_tho » 16 Aug 2018, 18:50

Hey there-

I suppose a better way to say “stretch” may be muscle laxity? My CRS initially pushed the LIS because of the level of high muscle tone in my sphincter (too bad there are no awards or positives to be had for that... bad jokes).

And my apologies, I had that med confused with Diazepam, which my CRS had prescribed to lessen muscle spasms. I actually haven’t had any experience with diltiazem!
Da_butt_tho
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 16 Aug 2018, 18:55

Mike my surgeon said to me years ago before I even had Botox that if you only have skinny bms for a long time the muscle Kind of shrinks an then can only handle skinny bms do when you have a random bigger bm it tears he advicd that I avoid having unnaturally skinny soft bms everyday he advised that I take fiber everyday to create normal bms an regular to stretch the muscle if you don't use it you lose it I guess! If you can go everyday an it not be hard but formed an not soft serve ice cream soft it needs to be in one piece then you probably wouldn't need fiber but if you don't go everyday an that's making bms hard then I would take psyllium husk daily but not cereal cause that causes rough bms for me
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby missy moo » 16 Aug 2018, 19:00

And the diltiazem is great its like a glass of wine for your bum muscle tells it to chill out an relax so helps with spasms an tightness I used it an it was great, also I've been prescribed diazepam for anxiety an anal fissure spasms it does work too it's prescribed for people with muscle spasms anxiety and or panic attacks but it's addictive so be careful with that one makes YOU feel like you've had a glass or two so just take as needed.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby mike1971 » 16 Aug 2018, 19:03

Da_butt oh OK I've heard of diazepam. Do you have spasms after a bm?

Oh and Missy since we're on the topic sorry if tmi but I've been going to the loo once every day to two days. they are not pencil thin but the size of a life savers roll but they are soft and loose and broken up not one long continuous piece. I don't strain.

Is this bad? I'm thinking I can use more fiber.

And do I need to keep using diltiazem and for how long before it starts working?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 16 Aug 2018, 19:06

I would be aiming for wider an more formed go google Bristol chart an see poo pics an see what's normal it's a very very helpful chart
missy moo
King Fissure