tomorrow CT scan

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

tomorrow CT scan

Postby buttgirl » 04 Feb 2008, 16:25

hi everyone,
So tomorrow is the abdomenal CT scan. It is supposed to be easy and painless and it wil determine once nad for all if the drs at Kaiser were right in their off-handed psuedo-diagnoses of Crohn's. Anyone had one of these before? I'm curious what to expect.
then on the 20th it's the surgery consult. jus trying to keep buy until then.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Re: tomorrow CT scan

Postby Guest » 04 Feb 2008, 17:56

Buttgirl,

CT's are a piece of cake and painless. The machine is big and nothing like an MRI. I had to have a CT of the abdomen too. I had to drink some milky white stuff. I had them refrigerate it for me so it was not that bad. Good luck!

Patty

Postby Guest » 04 Feb 2008, 18:05

Yeah, it's not bad except the stuff you have to drink before hand. If they do it with contrast you might feel a metallic taste in your mouth. Drink plenty of water to flush out the contrast as it can be damaging to the kidneys.

I had one this Summer that missed the hernia I had (I had a small hole that was leaking peritoneal fluid into the abdomen.) I paid $500 for them to tell me I was constipated.

Hopefully it will give you some useful info or at least rule out the Crohn's once and for all!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Feb 2008, 19:28

But they don't always use contrast. When I had my head examined (for migraines) I drank nothing.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Feb 2008, 01:34

That is why they missed a lot Kim Image ! JK, JK XOXO
BG - they gave me a contrast (radioactive iodine) directly in my hand vein. But, they were exploring whole abdomen, all organs, not just guts, maybe that is why it was administered that way. Whole thing is done in about minute. They prepared IV, put me in the machine, started scanning (scanner goes over you - bzzzzzzzzzzzz...), than they say "the contrast starts" , you say ha ha OK, and than you feel warmth spreading through your whole body with a speed , oh well, with atomic speed Image , and all is fine until it hits your head Image . Than you feel little strange - like you have out of body experience and as soon as you start to panic it is all over. Heat is gone and scan is over. They check your kidneys by same scan to see if they are eliminating radioactivity nicely (they must be glowing at that point Image ).
Yeah, start drinking water even before procedure, and continue to do so
after until you gulp at least 3 bottles of water one after another - no kidding - very important :pale:
I wish you best of luck with results !!! I am sure they will come back negative Image !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 05 Feb 2008, 12:59

I dont know anything about it, but good luck anyway-hope it turns out negative!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2008, 14:45

Hope it all went well BG :)

Postby buttgirl » 05 Feb 2008, 17:12

I meant it's tomorrow, Feb 6. Geez I need to get my head on straight. All work and no play makes Chris a dizzy and ditzy gal. I'll let you know how it goes.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Feb 2008, 18:21

Dear Chris - don't want to disappoint you, but my head is still not "strait" even 7 weeks after LIS , LOL !!! My sister said she would visit me on the 2nd and I was surprised to see her Saturdays on my door, I thought 2nd was Sunday !!! It was soooo embarrassing since I was supposed to prepare some stuff for her to take home. Not to mention that yesterday I almost cut off my index finger while preparing dinner - now I have to wash my butt one handedly LOL !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttgirl » 06 Feb 2008, 15:24

You're so funny fiss. There must be something in the air. My vitamins tried to amputate my finger this weekend too, so I too am wiping one handed!!
The exam is over and went fine. The iodine shot was weird. It hurt like crazy for the first 15 seconds; then it was fine and I was pleasantly warmed by the iodine. the barium stuff was icky, like drinking softsoap handwash. It also gave me the runs. my tummy is still gurgling, but I've finished on the pot, thank goodness. And here I was worried that it might constipate me....HA....I wish I knew what was in that stuff.
I get the results in a few days. I'll let you all know what they say.
buttgirl
King Fissure