Hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 05:44

Hello All,
I have been a member of this site for several weeks now and have read quite a few of the posts. I myself am not a fissure sufferer but my husband is. He has suffered for several months now and reading these posts I am looking for some conservative methods for him to try.
Melissa

Re: Hello

Postby happyass » 06 May 2008, 06:20

hi melissa and mr. melissa. the most conservative attempt at managing and eventually healing your fissure is through a high fiber (approx. 30-40 grams per day depending on your weight), drinking water, and engaging in fun exercise and having plenty of rest.
that would be the first important step.
along with some modifications such as:
1. switch from using regular toilet paper (i don't care how ultra or soft it is) to a flushable moist wipe (i prefer the flushmates from charmin but you can look into different brands - just make sure it does not have witch hazel or other irritants).
2. avoid any type of witch hazel ingredient - these is somewhat okay for hemmys but not for fissures. it will not help heal a fissure; as a matter of fact, it will help keep it alive. yes it may feel good, but it's not worth using it.
3. don't insert things into the rectum; ie, suppositories when you have a fissure.
4. avoid using soap, shampoo, or anything that strips the membranes of moisture in or around the anus. just use a nice little cloth or simply just wash with warm water and don't irritate the anus.
5. i highly recommend blow drying the anus - especially those of us with hairy butts!!!! - after you have pat it dry from shower. this helps to make sure that the anus and its area is nice and dry and keeps moisture in check to avoid any nice little fungus or parasite parties from hanging out on the fissure. follow up with a nice thin application of palmers cocoa butter with vitamin e. you can usually find this great product along the moisturizers for pregnant women.
6. consider trying out flax seed capsules, an omega 369 supplement, aloe vera juice, and acai.
good luck.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 06:29

Thanks for the quick advice. I will get him started on that right way. He was using a Prep H wipe. Not good huh? Apparently besides the diet, water, excercise it must be kept dry as well?
Melissa

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 07:34

He takes sitz baths 3 times a day but he doesnt dry the area after. Yes he is "hairy" Italian! No offense. So he should dry that area after the baths?

Postby happyass » 06 May 2008, 07:35

definitely blow dry the butt to make sure all the hairy-ness of it gets dry. i know it may look ridiculous and sound ridiculous but it will definitely help keeping the area clean and the fissure from becoming infected from the outside in. (look up fistula for infection coming from the inside out).
you want to keep the area dry but not entirely moisture free. see when it is not dry, it is moist which invites fungal activity (itchy butt) and other little microorganisms to the party and invade the fissure - which after all is a cut into tissue.
similar to vaginal yeast, you want to keep the area dry to avoid little creatures to help aid in healing.
however, because the skin is also very traumatized and sensitive when we go to the bathroom - it stretches as we take a dump - we also want to help keep it supple and help it keep its elasticity. thus a small dab of palmers cocoa butter will help. for other alternatives to some moisturizer, think about the gel in the aloe vera plant (only natural) or a vitamin e gel cap - poke it and use the serum to apply on the area and fissure - it may sting at first for some, but it does really help soothe.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 07:38

His Dr. has given him a low blood pressure cream that he applies three times dailey.

Postby buttgirl » 06 May 2008, 09:47

Welcome Melissa. Sorry ot hear about your hubby, but how supportive of you to be looking to help him.
That is the standard conservative treatment andthere are three to try: nifedipine, nitro and dilitazem, so if one doesn't work another might.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 11:41

I didnt realize the drying thing was that important for him

Postby Guest » 06 May 2008, 13:41

Welcome Melissa :)
Sorry to hear your husband has been suffering,
I am sure you will find lots of good information here....
Diet really is top priority, LOTS of water and stool softners :)
Goodluck..

Postby val » 07 May 2008, 00:43

Hi Melissa,
sorry your husband is going through all this- it's a horrible thing to have!
Its lovely for him to have you supporting him
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86