Advice Please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice Please

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2008, 05:44

Hello everybody
I do hope you are all well and in good sprits :D
Things have been good since stopping all creams and my itch is finally away Image
TIP –I did use some hc anosol for 3 days and this really helped the itch, that and Vaseline the job is a good one !
Yesterday I had rather tight feeling not sure if this was lack of Diltiazem cream or that ketchup time again!!! so after not using any creams I thought it best to use some to help with the tight feeling , I now know it was the Diltiazem cream that was causing my itch, I must have developed a sensitivity!
So anyway I had ordered more creams last week and rang to see if they had arrived and the receptionist told me that they cannot order me anymore creams as my doctor has looked into this and I have used the cream for the recommended time- 1 year !
My male GP has referred me to the hospital…AGAIN ! I usually see my female GP about this and as I only saw her 6/8 weeks back so i am confused to why my male GP has referred me !
Anyway I tried to make an appointment with him but he is on holiday so I will go back to my female GP on Wednesday to see what is what !
I don’t know how I feel about things now, what if the only thing that was getting me through was my cream …now what !!!
I am frightened of hospitals which is my main concern, I work myself into such a state and always think the worse when my head is like this, but I do know I really should have my fissure re evaluated, the last exam from the surgeon was in November and that was painful, I feel that was a setback in its self!
What do you guys think please…
Should I take the referral and have another exam? What if the exam makes thing worse ?
Sorry to be on such a downer today, I should be happy girl, I have my final week of exams and I have made it to the end despite this stupid fissure, I should be very thankful really, my excuse for not going with the surgery in December was the fact I had my studies, I don’t have any excuse now !!!!
Thank you for taking the time to read this long and winded moan/post Image

Re: Advice Please

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Jun 2008, 06:04

Could you ask him/her to not use the anoscope, if possible, since (perhaps and in all likelihood) your fissure should be visible without using one? If they can do a visual inspection, then there should be little if any trauma to the area since most fissures are right there at the rectal/anal area near the outside.
While the surgeon may want to whip out a scope, a gp proabably (?) won't.
Sorry you have developed a sensitivity to the cream...looks like you won't be allowed to use it anyway. If your fissure really hasn't healed after all this time, you really do need to at least consider less conservative measures.
It is nice that you've been doing well lately, just keep that up!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2008, 06:24

Dear Kim
Many thanks you your advice Image
My fissure was checked by my female GP 6/8 weeks ago, but as you said she did this only by separating the buttocks and she could see that the fissure looked healed from the outside, I can see this too and wonder if the tightness I had yesterday is some result of scarring inside??? she agreed that a digital exam may cause trauma and didn’t proceed any further that day, I wonder if I should let her examine me ?
Kim I do feel so much better than last year as you know I have a kept track of everything to do with my fissure and I am pleased to say… Touchwood.. for the last 15 weeks I have had no problem fissure wise, 15 weeks ago was the last time i saw any blood, the time before that was in November after the exam ,I do not get spasms anymore which is such a major plus, but now it is a case of peace of mind to what the hell is going on down there Image

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2008, 06:26

Tabby,
My local CRS diagnosed my fissure a couple of months ago w/o using the scope. He just pulled "things" apart and saw it. Did they indicate that one year is the recommended time for the Diltiazem cream? I am ending my 7th week today.
I think we can all develop sensitivities to creams/ointments. I used Bacitrace (or something like that) on my eyelids after blepharaplasty and developed a terrible itch and redness on my lids. Went back to see the plastic surgeon, and he basically indicated I was very stupid for having used the cream as long as I did. I think I was only supposed to use it for 48 hours, and I used it for several weeks. My point is that some creams/ointments might be useful for a period of time and then the body might become sensitive to the substance(s). By the way I consider myself somewhat of an expert subject/victim on plastic surgery if anyone has questions about it (as most females at least wonder/think about having various procedures).
I think many of us have a lot of anxiety about these butt issues which, no doubt, exacerbates the physical problem. I'll try to send you good energy so that you can make decisions with confidence about what to do.
In health,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2008, 06:38

Dear Cheryl
Thank you for your wise words again :truebud:
I was pleased to read your check-up with your GP went well and this fissure of yours is responding, this is great news Image
No Cheryl, I don’t think 1 year is the recommended time, the surgeon said to me in November I had been on it too long, he said that he prescribes it for 9 weeks and if necessary another 9 weeks after!
I appreciate your good energy …Kind thanks Image
My mum is a bit of a plastic surgery victim too, she has had 2 facelifts , a heap of Botox and some lovely white nashers Image

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2008, 07:23

Tabby,
Thank you for your comments and good wishes. I'm being really careful about how long to stay on this ointment. I plan at least another week and am trying to decide if I should do 4 weeks after that or not. My local CRS told me to stop after 8 weeks, but my family doc told me this week to use it another 4 weeks, so what am I to do?????? I guess it is not a big deal, but I don't want to develop a sensitivity to it or use it if not necessary.
As for the plastic surgeries, I guess your mum is one facelift ahead of me as I have only had one (so far)!! What an experience, but I was very happy with the results after I finally healed six years ago. I keep pretty quiet about it, but I guess we are all supposedly anonymous here anyway. I was awake for the blepharaplasty and could feel him sewing up my right eye which was somewhat unnerving!! One of the gals in my derm's office had a facelift while awake. There is no way I could have done that! I've also had Botox on the face. What are "white nashers"? Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2008, 07:59

Mmmm... i say go for another 4 weeks just as a precaution, but thats me Image
With my first fissure i was on the cream for a good while too, i never had any sensitivity then or up till very recently :roll:
Cheryl, my mum had a facelift going back a few years now but the procedure went wrong :pale: and she became very poorly, as she healed she had some visible scarring that really knocked her confidence, it was horrific if I am honest, she took the surgeon to court and won her case, then last year she went for corrective surgery plus a lift here and there, she is happy with the results now and luckly her scarring isn’t half as bad, the second surgeon was top notch and did a wonderful job of fixing the mess !!
Image Nashers are teeth Image

Postby cherylk » 07 Jun 2008, 08:33

Tabby,
There is always a risk with plastic surgery as with any other type of surgery. Glad it worked out well for your mum. Obviously, big difference in her two docs!! How old (young) is she?? My main prob after the facelift was swelling. I know now that I should have slept sitting up in a recliner chair. I had less bruising than most, but more swelling. I looked like I had been beaten (spousal abuse or something). I don't think I could have had plastic surgery with a surgeon that was not connected to my derm doc in whom I have a lot of confidence. The end result was good, in my opinion, and I think my result was better than many of the movie stars (i.e. Joan Rivers, Wayne Newton, Priscilla Presley). I didn't want to look "plastic," and I didn't/don't. He also did a good job on my eyes. Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2008, 09:54

Hey Tabby,
I understand you concerns. It is like if someone told me they were going to take my MOM away and I wouldn't be able to use it again. I would flip! But it does sound like you have some sensitivity to it. I wonder if you could substitute a warm sitzbath for the cream or a heating pad to draw more blood flow to the area instead of using the cream.

I hate when doctors make these decisions without consulting us though. You just call up and find out your Rx isn't being refilled. From your description of things I would say that you are probably healed though that area is still vulnerable. I know my doctor didn't do an anoscope for a long time but after 4 months of so she did and I didn't have any setback. It was uncomfortable but it actually felt looser down there afterwards. Maybe they can use a childsize anoscope like they do on me.

Speaking of scopes...I went to the gyn yesterday and It took her 5 tries to find my cervix-she almost gave up! Something like that would have freaked me out before my butt problems but I after having scopes in the other area I was like, should I change positions? But by the end I had broken into a sweat and thought I was going to vomit. Yuk! Then the lump that she found in February in my breast has not gone away so she ordered a scan for next week just to make sure it is just fibrocystic. I think it is just a milk duct that is swollen but guess it makes sense to check it out.

I would be very interested to hear some candid info about plastic surgery for future reference. I have considered at some point getting the bleph...what it is it..for the eyelids since I have a lot of puffiness and I know I am going to have sagging jowls. Just hereditary I think. At what age did you have your work done and how did you reach the decision to do it?

Hang in there Tabby. That is great that you are done with exams. What are you doing this Summer?

Hope you gals are having a great day!

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Jun 2008, 11:24

Tabby - I am so sorry that you are so panic stricken Image - I can completely understand. It is not only the cream that they "took away" but the feeling of helplessness and kind of "betrayal" from your doctors - you just don't understand what is happening and why and it is very unnerving. It is different when we go to CRS and want exam and when somebody just gives referral without any explanation. If you are really afraid of CRS exam go again to your GP and she probably will not use anoscope. She might use the finger and if she has small fingers and goes VERY slowly and with a lot of lubricant she will do no damage. If you feel any pain - your fissure is not healed. I know that for sure because I healed and opened fissure couple of times and any time that it was closed I did not feel ANYTHING with finger exam and any time it was opened it did hurt ! So , if you feel any pain even when she just starts the exam you can ask her to stop because fissure is there.
I really hope though that it is healed completely and that you will not need creams or anything else Image The tightness can be very well connected with the "catchup" and will go away as soon as it is gone. Just try to keep your poop soft and you will be just fine Image . You might try some Valerian supplements to relax muscles - or even real meds like Valium or Flexaril , just for those 2-3 days of a period.
All the best and keep us posted Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61