Evening primrose oil

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Evening primrose oil

Postby Jen » 02 Jul 2008, 13:46

Hello everyone!
I have read several posts where members talk about using this product. Can anyone tell me how it has helped you? Is it in a pill form?
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Evening primrose oil

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Jul 2008, 13:52

I am using it just because it supposedly is good for you anyway - but I do not see any benefits - at least not yet. It is rich in GLA fatty acids - it is oil that is in a capsule form - like vit. E or A, or fish oil.
Last edited by Fissulyna on 02 Jul 2008, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Jul 2008, 13:57

Evening Primrose Oil
Scientific Name(s): Oenothera biennis L. Family: Onagraceae 1
Common Name(s): Evening primrose , common evening primrose
Clinical Overview

Uses of Evening Primrose Oil
There is some evidence to suggest that evening primrose oil is effective for treating rheumatoid arthritis and diabetic neuropathy.
Evening Primrose Oil Dosing
Evening primrose oil has been administered orally in clinical trials at doses between 6 and 8 g/day in adults and 2 and 4 g/day in children. 2 , 3 , 4 The typical content of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the oil is 8% to 10%. 5
Contraindications
No contraindications have yet been identified.
Pregnancy/Lactation
Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. Both linoleic and gamma-linolenic acid are normally present in breast milk, and it is reasonable to assume that evening primrose oil may be taken while breast-feeding.
Evening Primrose Oil Interactions
None well documented.
Evening Primrose Oil Adverse Reactions
Evening primrose oil is suspected to lower the seizure threshold in epileptic patients. 6 , 7 , 8
Toxicology
No toxicity, carcinogenicity, or teratogenicity has been reported.
Botany
The evening primrose is a large, delicate wildflower native to North America, but it is not a true primrose. The blooms usually last only 1 evening. Primrose is a yellow-flowered annual or biennial and can grow from 1 to 3 m in height. The fruit is a dry pod about 5 cm long that contains many small seeds. 5 , 9
Chemistry
Seeds from O. biennis contain 14% of a fixed oil known as evening primrose oil. This oil can contain from 50% to 70% cis-linoleic acid and from 7% to 10% cis-GLA. Wild varieties of O. biennis contain highly variable amounts of linoleic acid and GLA; however, extensive crossbreeding has produced a commercial variety that consistently yields an oil with 72% cis-linoleic acid and 9% GLA. 5 , 9 Also found are cis-6,9,12-octadecatrienoic acid; small amounts of oleic, palmitic, and stearic acids; steroids; campesterol; and beta-sitosterol. Mucilage and tannin in the plant parts have been analyzed. 5
Evening Primrose Oil Uses and Pharmacology
Essential fatty acids are important as cellular structural elements and as precursors of prostaglandins. Essential fatty acids are the biologically active parts of polyunsaturated fats and cannot be manufactured by the body. They must be provided by the diet in relatively large amounts. 5 Recommended intake of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid are 12 g and 1.1 g, respectively, for women 19 to 30 years of age. 10
In theory, the GLA provided by evening primrose oil can be converted directly to the prostaglandin precursor di-homo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA) and might be beneficial to people unable to metabolize cis-linoleic acid to GLA or with low dietary intake of cis-linoleic acid. However, this relationship was not proven in a pharmacokinetic study in healthy humans. 11
Premenstrual syndrome/Menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms
A number of reviews and randomized clinical trials suggest there is little evidence to support the use of evening primrose oil for menopausal vasomotor symptoms or premenstrual syndrome. 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20 A satisfactory meta-analysis of the available data has not yet been achieved, but a protocol has been published by the Cochrane Collaboration, the results of which are pending. 21
The North American Menopause Society does not support the use of evening primrose oil for hot flash relief given the lack of efficacy data. 22
Mastalgia
A few researchers suggest benefit from evening primrose oil in the management of cyclic mastalgia, 23 , 24 but there is little evidence to support this. 25 , 26 One randomized, controlled trial found no benefit of evening primrose oil over control. 27
Rheumatoid arthritis
A Cochrane review of randomized trials using evening primrose oil versus placebo suggests some benefit in using evening primrose oil for rheumatoid arthritis, despite the relative poor quality of the individual studies. A trend toward reduction of morning stiffness and joint tenderness as well as pain relief has been shown. The authors found the evidence to be sufficient to warrant further larger trials to provide conclusive results and define optimal dosage and duration of therapy. 28 These findings are supported by other reviews, especially with regard to effective duration of therapy. 29 , 30
A more recent randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study involving 90 patients with primary Sjorgen syndrome found no statistical significance in patient tiredness with a higher dosage after 6 months of therapy. 31
Other studies, primarily in animals and healthy humans, provide the theoretical rationale for the effect of GLA in inflammatory disease. 32
Multiple sclerosis
Despite a seemingly valid theoretical basis for the use of evening primrose oil in multiple sclerosis, there is a lack of evidence to substantiate its use and no new trials since the 1980s. A review of 3 trials suggested an effect with a slower progression of disability and improved relapse (severity and duration) scores, but a randomized, controlled trial, not included in the review, showed no effect. 33 , 34 , 35 , 36 , 37
Atopic dermatitis/Dermatologic disorders
A number of reviews and randomized clinical trials suggest a lack of support for the use of evening primrose oil for atopic dermatitis. 19 , 38 , 39 Many of the trials are of poor quality and have apparent issues of bias. 3 , 40
While an earlier review suggested promising results, 41 the most comprehensive meta-analysis to date was unable to establish efficacy. 3 A protocol seeking to assess the effects of oral evening primrose oil and borage oil for treating the symptoms of atopic eczema has been published by the Cochrane Collaboration, the results of which are pending. 42
Other uses
Cardiovascular disease
There is no recent evidence to support older studies 43 , 44 , 45 suggesting that evening primrose oil reduced platelet aggregation. An observational study suggests serum linoleic acid may protect against ischemic stroke. 46
Despite limited older trials in humans and numerous studies using rats and rabbits, there are no recent randomized, controlled trials demonstrating a beneficial effect of evening primrose oil on cholesterol levels or serum lipids.
A more recent randomized, controlled trial found no effect on endothelial function or vascular tone with evening primrose oil supplementation. 47
Diabetic neuropathy
A review of 3 randomized, controlled trials suggested evening primrose oil might improve symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. Dosages in these trials ranged from 360 to 480 mg GLA daily. Few side effects were noted in these trials, and there was no increase in blood glucose levels. 4 , 48
Dyslexia/Brain development
Current interest in the use of evening primrose oil for enhancing intellectual performance in children is yet to be validated by rigorous research.
Studies conducted in children with dyslexia suggest improved reading, spelling, and behavior, 49 , 50 while a Cochrane systematic review and a long-term study (39 months) showed no long-term benefit in infants fed formula supplemented with long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. 51 , 52
Eye conditions
Study results disagree as to the effect of evening primrose oil on dry eye syndrome, 31 , 53 and there is concern regarding high intake of linolenic and linolenic acid and the risk of cataract development. 54 , 55
Dosage
Evening primrose oil has been administered orally in clinical trials at doses between 6 and 8 g/day in adults and 2 and 4 g/day in children. The typical content of GLA in the oil is 8% to 10%. 5
Pregnancy/Lactation
Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. Both linoleic and gamma-linolenic acid are normally present in breast milk, and it is reasonable to assume that evening primrose oil may be taken while breast-feeding.
Interactions
None well documented.
Adverse Reactions
Evening primrose oil is suspected to lower the seizure threshold in epileptic patients. 6 , 7 , 8
Toxicology
Animal toxicological studies and extensive use of evening primrose oil over many years have revealed no data of concern. As a nutritional supplement, the maximum label-recommended daily dose of evening primrose oil is approximately 4 g, containing 300 to 360 mg GLA. There is little concern about the safety of evening primrose oil as a dietary supplement in the recommended dosage range.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2008, 14:08

I take it to help me have nicer bottles of ketchup. It reduces the spasms and cramps for me. I take 1600 mg a day.

Thanks for the info, Fiss. It looks like it has been studied quite extensively.

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Jul 2008, 14:20

I am so glad to hear that it helps you : ) - I wish it does it for me too - maybe i am beyond repair at this point : (( !
The only thing that is of concern for me regarding primrose is its ability to lower the threshold for nerve excitation. I actually found that fact couple of times before on various sites. Since I have nerve damage in my mouth and am taking meds to slow nerve impulses , maybe my increased burning lately is caused by primrose. It is pure speculation, of course, but still, worries me Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2008, 14:24

What medicine are you taking again for that? Was is klonopin?
I am not on any pain meds for nerve pain. I couldn't tolerate the side effects.

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Jul 2008, 14:40

Yeah, I take Klonopin. It was bad at first, but after a week or two all
side-effects disappeared. My doctor told me that it would be like that and it really was !!! She is so far the only doctor I ever met that is completely determined to help the patient no matter what and that gave full emotional support as well that she was truly expert in her field !!! How I wish there are more doctors like her - I sometimes feel the urge to hug her but than say to myself - Fissy - you will scare the girl , so I just sit on my hands LOL.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2008, 14:47

How much do you take? I take .5 mg sometimes before bed to help me sleep. It hasn't done anything for the nerve pain though. Do you find it constipating since it slows down the nerve impulses at all?

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2008, 15:10

Hi Jen,
I am taking one 1300mg capsule daily, it says on my bottle to take 2 capsules daily for the first 2 months after which the level can be reduced,
I researched the primrose and believe it is suppose to help with constipation around that time , not to mention the cramps and other delights that come with !
This was when my setabcks were happening, since being on the primrose touchwood things have good !
Its worth a try Image

Postby Jen » 02 Jul 2008, 20:05

Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll have to give it a try. :)
Tabby - when was your last setback? How long have you been taking the primrose?
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39