MY LIS STORY

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

MY LIS STORY

Postby Jen » 22 Aug 2008, 23:00

Hi buddies!!! Image
First of all, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!! Image Everyone's messages to me today ment so much to me. You guys are truely wonderful friends. I decided to start a new thread about my LIS expirience, so anyone lurking around the board considering LIS can read my entire story. I will also post all my post-op results and appointments here.
Last night, I began drinking the magnesium citrate at 5 pm. I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a bowel movement. Needless to say, there was no BM in the evening. I went to bed at 10 pm and woke up at 2 am. I had a dream about my operation. In the dream, I knew everyone in the operating room. My older sister was my anesthesiologist (which is not that weird because that is her job in real life), my husband was the surgeon, and my friends were the scrub techs and OR nurses. The whole dream so vivid and weird. I could not fall back to sleep after the dream and stayed up the rest of the night considering canceling the surgery because I felt great. Finally at 5 am, the mag citrate started working and I went to the bathroom like 5 or 6 times. I did'nt have anything to do all morning and I was done pooping, so I decided I would go to school for my morning lecture to get my mind off the upcomming LIS. I left school at noon.
My husband, son and I got to the hospital around 2 pm. They finally called me from the waiting room at 3 pm. They started the IV and the doctor came and talked to me. He said while he had me there he wanted to do a full inspection of my anus. He was going to "explore" it in his terms (this is what Fissy is having done next week). He said if there was any hemmies, he wanted to remove them. I told him, my butt was his at that point and he should do everything in his power to make me better. I also told him I felt great and I was still having serious doubts. He reminded me that I have been through too much, and I decided in the end to just go through with it.
They brought me into the OR and I saw the stirrups! They totally freaked me out, but before I knew it, I was asleep with general anesthesia. When I woke up, I was in the recovery room. I could feel a sorness on my butt and it was painful to sit directly on my butt. The CRS came and talked to me. He said I am lucky I had LIS because I needed it. He said I should have had it over a year ago. There was alot of scar tissue. He also said my spasms were just horrible. I guess I was spasming all the way up to when he made the cut. I was just one of the lucky ones who seldomly had PAINFUL spasms. He said the only way I could heal is by LIS because of my spasms.
Does anyone remember some of my threads on my blue anal scar/hemmie (I know Lecia does - she held me together while I was a basket case about it :D ). Well, when the doctor did his "exploring" down there, he decided it was another hemmie (I had 2 removed with RBL before this). This hemmie was different as it was actually in my anal canal and he said he zapped it by using something that starts with an "S". Image Now if anyone knows what this is, please tell me because I would love to read up on whatever treatment he used on me. I always wondered if this little line was a hemmie - it was real tender and mildly swollen at times. He said I have a plug of gauze in me that will come out with my next BM. Did anyone else have this plug??
I am mildly sore now, and I expect to be even sorer tomorrow, as that is how most surgeries go. I actually have to prop my butt up on my left side when sitting because I think my incision is on my right side. Could anyone else tell which side their incision was on? I have no fissure pain at all. All the pain is definatley coming from the incision. It is very distinct. MY CRS gave me some darvocet. I hope it works well because I have never taken it.
I am not looking forward to my morning BM at all. I took 2 stool softeners because I am going to take my pain meds. My CRS wants me to go back to my regular diet ASAP. This will be no big deal because I am very healthy and I basically have a fissure diet anyway - with the occassional veggie pizza and chocolate of corse!
I know I am not incontinent already because I am holding farts in just fine!!! Image
Also, I looked at the clock and my operation started at 4:30. They were rolling me in the recovery room at 5:30. Does anyone have any ideas why the operation took as long? LIS is supposed to be like 5 minutes!
I hope I am healed. I hope I had my "butt makeover" like Fissy. I really love you guys. I would have never taken this step without your prayers and support. :redlove:
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: MY LIS STORY

Postby Jo » 22 Aug 2008, 23:22

Jen,
I am so glad things went well for you. It sounds like you really needed the surgery. I took darvocet after my hemmie surgery and although it wasn't very strong it didn't make me sick like the oxycodone did. If I didn't have much pain I took 1/2, at the worst pain I took 2, although with the hemmie surgery it didn't really help me all that much. It should work for you if you are not in terrible pain.
Hope you have a good and restful night.
Take care,
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby buttgirl » 22 Aug 2008, 23:23

Hi Jen,
Congrats. good to hear you are well.
You probably got sclerotherapy, which is basically and injection that used to trea spider veins. it scars the vein and prevents it from flowing blood.
please do keep us posted on your progress.
Chris
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby buttgirl » 22 Aug 2008, 23:24

Oh BTW in a few days, you shoul dnot need the darvocet. A couple ibuprofen should be just fine.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Aug 2008, 23:24

Yeeaaaaayyyyy Image Image Image Jen is back...Jen is back Image
CONGRATS BABE !!!!! YOU DID IT Image Wow, thanks God you posted - I was waiting for you whole day here Image . I just was about to go and watch a movie and decided to check just one more time and there you were Image . HE HEEEEEE, now I will take a pleasure of saying - " I told you so " Image !!! I am so glad you are home and safe and that you are now on the road of full recovery Image , buddy, what a relief ! Don't worry about first BM - I braced myself and when it started going out I was in shock how painless it was ! I know it sounds like oxymoron but trust me in this one too- you will be pleasantly surprised - just some muscle pain in your cheek where
incision was done - not a fissure pain !!!! Maybe you will have some pinching due to hemmie treatment though - but I hope not Image !!!
Now your questions - I was cut on the left side and most CESs do it on the right because there is one hemmie column on the right and 2 on the left, so left is more risky. You are also lucky to have GI, since local can irritate
anus Image and I had that Image . He even hit my hemmie Image that I never had before visible Image .
Why it took and hour in the op room ??? I suppose they took time to position you nicely and waited for you to be knocked out pretty good LOL. Than he did examination before the procedure and also took care of your hemmie. Than they had to clean you up, transfer you on new table and drive out when all of your vital signs were in perfect order. - That is my best guess ; ))) !
I did not have "packing" in the butt, but I read about it couple of times. Some CRS do that some don't - just one of their quirks LOL. I hope it will fall out easily !!!
Yes, my CRS insisted on me going to normal diet ASAP and the theory is that butt has to be trained to function normally. It worked great for me until my butt got "stiff" again Image after couple of months.
Now rest buddy - take that Dervocet to help you sleep through the night !!! Have the most peaceful dreams Jen and see you tomorrow :sprinkleheart:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 22 Aug 2008, 23:36

so your dr saw a lot of scar tissue?? did he remove any of it? i'm amazed you're attempting to sit already! i literally laid on my stomach for 2 weeks after surgery, never even tried to sit regular. good job! if your dr actually saw the spasms, it's likely LIS will help you!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Corsi » 23 Aug 2008, 02:20

Sweet Jen Image
So happy that your surgery day went well, and I think you are so wise and realistic when you expect your bum to be sore for a couple of days, BM to be XXX, etc. - you've had surgery! When it is all over you will be so happy you had it done.
Hope your fissure leaves you for good :D
:truebud: Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby val » 23 Aug 2008, 03:08

Image So glad its all over Jen and you made the right choice.
Yeah, dont panic about the first BM, it will be ok, and get easier each time afterwards.
Have a good rest and get well soon, and I hope your fissure-days are well and truly gone!
Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Cinderella » 23 Aug 2008, 03:36

Jen, I am so happy to hear of your experience. Hopefully you will heal quickly. Just think that after few weeks you do not have to focus on butt issues anymore. You are so brave that you went through this.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby lars » 23 Aug 2008, 03:50

Congratulations :) Hope you will be painfree forever down there now.
lars
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5