Saw my gastro dr. yesterday.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Saw my gastro dr. yesterday.

Postby suzyljank » 22 Dec 2009, 08:18

I had to wait a while but finally got into see my gastro dr. It's been over a year because I've been seeing the CRS. She's such a nice dr. She told me that my fissure was the largest and deepest she'd ever seen. I told her that the LIS helped some but not completely and we discussed the flap advancement surgery the CRS wants to do. She advised me not to do surgery at this point. The surgery would make the opening a little wider but it would do nothing to stop the spasms when they happen. She said to repeatedly cut that area can hold a whole host of problems on top of the ones I already have and unless it becomes absolutely necessary to really think about it. Since I healed the initial fissure I told her my routine and how I take care of myself especially when I get a retear. I guess I'm doing what I'm supposed to and I was even able to give her some ideas I learned here and she noted them down to tell her paitents who suffer from these nasty tears. For spasms what helps me (and I only use this when they're really bad) I use a little nitro on a q-tip and I put it just inside a bit, I take a valium, and sit on a warm heating pad. I also told her about the stadium seat I bought where you can pop the liner into the microwave and take the heated seat with you and she thought that was a great idea. So at least I had a good visit, finally. I also told her about my last visit to the CRS where he did a digital exam and tore me. She told me to tell him not to do those, that there is really no need to do that with a person who is prone to fissures because people like me tend to be tight in the first place. So I guess once you get these things and they haven't healed without intervention you have to learn how to take care of yourself and do it the rest of your live. I just have to learn that this is now part of who I am and eating right, taking stool softeners, lubing before and bm and just taking care of myself is just something I have to do. I'm starting to do that and I realize when I have a small retear I shouldn't get all hyper but I should just do what I've been doing and give it time to heal. Since I've started to look at it like that my anxiety has lessened. Sorry, I'm just going on and on. It just felt so good to have a positive dr. appointment. Thanks for listening and Happy Holidays everyone. Suzy :D
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Saw my gastro dr. yesterday.

Postby derryboy » 22 Dec 2009, 11:05

good to read your in a good frame of mind suzy. happy holidays to you too. :D
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby jman11 » 22 Dec 2009, 11:55

healing is a slow processs, ideally you get a tad bit better every day and try to avoid getting any worse...that sounds easy but it can be a challenge as it is much easier to get worse than it is to heal. Hang in there! I know I get really down when I am having a painful day and this only makes things worse...keep your head up and stay positive, thats really all you can do sometimes.
jman11
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Dec 2009, 12:12

Hey Suzy,
I'm glad you had a good appointment! I went through several docs myself before I found one that I was confident in. I'm sorry to hear that your fissure is so big though.
I had a CRS before who always did a digital exam, but have seen another one who does it differently. What she does is have you kneel (on an elevated platform like foot of a hospital bed) and kind of lean forward slightly, then gently spread the buttocks to have a peek inside and try to see the fissure without applying any pressure. It makes sense since most people with fissures are in agony. I've always wondered why everyone doesn't do it that way.
Happy Holidays to you too!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby suzyljank » 22 Dec 2009, 12:27

Hi, The fissure that was big is gone. That's why I had the LIS. While the surgery didn't fix everything the fissure did heal. I still get small tears from time to time and I'm sssslowly learning how to deal with it. I think that's the hard part. Realizing that you're prone to this problem and trying not to stress out about it. It does take time to realize that. But thanks for the well wishes. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby cherylk » 22 Dec 2009, 17:10

Suzy,
Glad you had a good exam. Always great to find a good doc--one in whom you can have confidence!
NG,
That's how my doctor diagnosed my AF--just the way you described. It makes absolutely no sense to have a person go through a painful exam when they are already in extreme pain in my opinion! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Dec 2009, 17:17

Glad to hear that you are coping well and that you liked your new doctor.
I had 2 LIS surgeries and I am thanking God every day I decided to have the second one and got rid of the issue forever :luckyeyes: KTW !!!!
I was too tight after first one and if I did not relax my sphincter again, I would end up having fissures for life - I am sure of that Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby suzyljank » 22 Dec 2009, 18:34

Hi, I think I'm still too tight too and the CRS wanted to do a sliding flap anoplasty. I talked it over with my gastro dr. and that really wouldn't do anything for the spasming it would only make the opening a little wider. I never got instant relief from my LIS surgery. While it helped some I still had spasms after the surgery. I always wonder if a 2nd LIS would have helped more but the doctor didn't mention doing another one, just the flap surgery. So I'm managing and I thank god for miralax and benefiber. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Dec 2009, 22:49

Awweee, I am so sorry Suzy Image Image Image . You know , I changed about 7 doctors until I found the one who had a solution for me - so never loose hope or give up looking for the answer Image
Can you find CRS who would actually measure your internal sphincter pressure (manometry sp. ?) ??? You know, sometimes they do not cut right way or enough :( , it is not "unheard of" at all !!! Can they try other nerve-impulse modifying meds. - like Gabapentine or Lyrica or something : (( ??? Cheryl went to Mayo clinic to learn how to relax her pelvic floor muscles with "bio-feedback" methods and had great result ! Maybe you can not go to Mayo, but maybe there is a pain clinic in your area that offers bio-feedback instructions !!??? I really wish I could help somehow Image I can only tell you to never give up Image - if I listened to the CRS that I had my first LIS with I would never had my second LIS Image !!!!
It is so unfortunate to live in 21st century and in the USA for that matter (or any developed country) and not being able to find decent doctor Image I do not know what is up with all of that really - but we just have to beat the system by perseverance and shear will - or nobody would pay attention to us *sigh Seek and you will find is my new motto Image (and do not "knock" on the door - BANG IT or brake in LOL ; )))
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Corsi » 23 Dec 2009, 07:32

How long time since you had LIS now?
I like what you wrote Suzy, and the way to see things :D
I had LIS in February and I still have issues, cannot eat what I want or be as active as I want. I still have pain when I sit for hours, etc.
Well, that's just the way it is for some of us I guess Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18