Quick question about Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Quick question about Miralax

Postby suzyljank » 24 Aug 2010, 11:07

I use Miralax nightly, a few weeks ago there was a recall at Sam's club on it so I had to get the generic for the first time. I tried it three different times and each time I woke up with cramps and the other night diarrhea all night. The ingredients look the same but for some reason it doesn't work the same for me. Has anyone had a problem with the generic form of miralax? I wouldn't ask but three different tries with the stuff has me wondering. Thanks Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Quick question about Miralax

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2010, 11:16

Hey Suzy, long time no see! Hope things are going okay aside from the Miralax snafu.
I've never personally had problems with generic Miralax. I use a lot of the stuff from Costco and also Walgreen's and CVS Pharmacy without problems.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby suzyljank » 24 Aug 2010, 11:26

Thanks, I was doing pretty good but then my little dog Maxie died 2 weeks ago and my system is in a jumble. I've tried to stick to my diet but I didn't have much of an appetite so going to the bathroom has been a little uncomfortable. I have some burning issues right now too. I'm trying to get back on track but it isn't easy because I'm so sad. I have stenosis so keeping things small and easy to move is important but right now it's a challenge. Thanks for asking. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 Aug 2010, 12:17

Suzy, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( I've kept a ton of pets from cats to parrots to prairie dogs and it's always so sad when they pass. Not surprising that you're having a flare of symptoms given the recent rough patch. Is that Maxie in your avatar?
Maybe the burning is from having more acidic stools due to your lack of appetite? I suppose it could be the generic Miralax too. Generic drugs can use different fillers and binders even though the active ingredient is the same. I'm not sure if this is the case with generic Miralax but if it is, it could explain why you have trouble with some of the store brand varieties.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 24 Aug 2010, 18:58

Suzy,
I use Walgreen's generic and like it a lot. It's cheaper than Miralax, and I also am able to use my Walgreen's discount. SmoothLax works the same for me as the Miralax brand; I think the ingredients are identical.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby suzyljank » 03 Sep 2010, 10:37

Hi, I switched back to miralax and it's much better for me. But I've had a set back. Losing my little dog has really taken a toll on me and made my butt feels like it has tighten up. I just hope in time it relaxes and things go back to normal. I think I have a little tear from the generic stuff and it's taking a long time to heal. I've already had LIS so it's not as painful as before but it's uncomfortable. What started out to be a nice summer has turned so sad. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby Guest » 03 Sep 2010, 11:23

Hi Suzy,
Glad the miralax is working better for you. I'm sorry to hear you may have another tear and about your little dog.
I had a re-tear this morning and made an appointment with my CRS. I think I am going to get LIS too. I'm at the end of my rope with all this!
I hope you tear heals soon. Believe me I know how depressing it can be.

Postby cherylk » 03 Sep 2010, 13:08

Guys and gals,
Just more evidence that our psyches can wreck havoc with our bodies. I've been through so much with my disabled son this summer--first the MRSA infection (with accompanying surgery and rehab), then an overdose of his regular meds which landed him in the hospital again, and then a recurrence of another MRSA infection. I literally worried myself sick about all of these occurrences, and in addition to not eating correctly have recently had some butt issues of my own. So, I am dealing with some of my own issues, but help is on the way, so I think my depressed mood is going to get elevated next week. If any of you are so inclined, please send healing vibs (and prayers if you wish) to my son Lance. I would appreciate it!!
Last edited by cherylk on 03 Sep 2010, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
cherylk
VIP

Postby StevePain » 03 Sep 2010, 16:32

cheryl... I will pray for Lance and send healing thoughts across the pond Image I hope your butt issues don't get any worse, it's the stress and worry about your son that's upset the bowels, why oh why does our moods and emotions trigger the bowels to go into overdrive, this is why healing is so damn hard!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 03 Sep 2010, 16:41

Steve,
Thanks! I think there is really a "brain" inside of our bowels. That is why it is so sensitive. I am doing better and watching my diet more now. Maybe I will lose a couple of pounds. :roll: In addition to all of my son's problems, my 90+ year old FIL is wasting away from cancer and currently in a nursing home as of this past Tuesday. I think his condition is bothering me more than it is bothering my husband (his son). I've known my FIL for almost 50 years as he was formerly our neighbor (across the street). That is how I met my husband since he was obviously my neighbor also!
cherylk
VIP