Hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hello

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Nov 2010, 15:30

Tedser - I am glad they finally gave you a proper diagnosis - gosh, many days I wonder what doctors do in their school that they attend for 10 years Image (at least here in the USA!!!!!) Anyhow - I hope that they will finally give you correct treatment and give you well deserved relief !!!! If you have infection (as you most probably have if you have puss !!!!!) it is great possibility that you have a fistula formation and than NOTHING can bring you relief but surgery . Do not be scared of any procedure if your CRS is good and with a lot of experience. Sometimes when condition is chronic (as is any condition lasting for so long), more aggressive methods give LASTING results : ))) !!!!
Best of luck with it all Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Tedser » 20 Nov 2010, 15:47

Update on my situation:
I went to the hospital for my fistulotomy last Monday week (Nov 8th)
I was put under general anesthetic for around 90 minutes .
The surgeon did a full colonoscopy and also a fistula in ano.
He said it was a low fistula so only a small cut was required .He believed it was caused by a tear to a muscle in my anus so he injected that with botox to relax it.
He said I have a few small hemorrhoids but he left them and said my colon was fine.
I went home that evening .
I was prescribed a number of painkillers (Tramadol and Difene )but I havent needed any thankfully bar a few paracetamol .
The wound stopped bleeding after the first day and I removed the padding after 24 hours.
I have put a light bandage dressing over it .I change it daily after a bowel movement or bath.
There doesnt seem to be much if any drainage from the wound and it isnt sore.
However my stomach hasnt felt right since the procedure.
Its very queasy and I feel nauseous quite alot.
I feel like I have been kicked in my abdomen.
Bowel movements are a disaster as I feel very constipated and its an effort .Its as if the muscles in my ass are unbelievably tight and unfortunately my haemorrhoid's have flared up badly and are very sore.
I am taking Lactulose as a stool softener but it doent seem to be doing much good.
I finished my course of antibiotics yesterday (Flagyl) so hopefully my stomach will improve .
I am due to see the consultant in two weeks so hopefully I will feel better then.
Last edited by Tedser on 20 Nov 2010, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tedser
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby afugh!! » 20 Nov 2010, 17:03

You should switch from lactulose to docusate sodium or miralax for stool softener instead.I don't know how effective lactulose is in softening stools but docusate works for me but others give miralax a high praise.I had a fistulectomy for my fistula which the only difference I know of from a fistulotomy is that my GS used a laser to cut out dead tissues.Glad yours wasn't deep as well because I heard setons suck.I'm already 19 days post-op and I already feel better,it still gets a little sore every now and then and still have some drainage but there are good moments when I totally forget I still have a wound.Well I'm also starting to get itchy at times down there but thats a good thing,it's a sign that it's healing and nerves are starting to sort things out.Glad your surgery was a success :)
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Tedser » 16 Jan 2011, 20:56

Hi guys
Sorry i didnt update this thread sooner.
I last posted 12 days after my surgery and my haemhorrhoids were pretty bad.
Thankfully they settled down about a week later and I felt alot better .I guess they were swollen after the surgery.
I went to see my surgeon at the start of December and he said the wound was healing well .
I never needed any painkillers after surgery and I went back playing soccer 4 weeks after surgery,I felt great .
My stomach is alot better now ,bowel movements are regular,once a day ,and I have no discomfort after going to the toilet.No pus,no discharge ,no incontinence ,no itch ,nothing :D
There is still a small gap where the fistula was removed and I clean it with baby wipes after defecating.
It looks like its healing well,I'm due to go back to the surgeon in 3 months.
I was hesitant about surgery but it was a piece of cake in the end ,the prep klean was the worst part .Image
The colonoscopy was clear,it found nothing although the consultant said my bowel was very dirty.
The botox should start to wear off in a few weeks so I'll have to see how that goes.
Hopefully when I go back in April I will get the all clear but so far so good.
Tedser
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 18 Jan 2011, 14:32

Hello, Tedser Image