could I still be having spasms?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: could I still be having spasms?

Postby cherylk » 27 Oct 2010, 09:27

I would think vaseline would be helpful. Also, could you try taking Miralax to help with BM's being softer. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2010, 13:12

Thanks Cheryl,
I took a dose of miralax. Hopefully this will get everything moving productively.
I'm honestly not sure if the small incomplete bms aren't what's pushing on my anal area and making me think I'm having a spasm or something. It's all swollen and I really haven't had but one proper bm since surgery, so I'm hoping this is the whole problem.
The vaseline seems like a good idea to me too but the crs seem to think the area needs to be left to air...

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Oct 2010, 16:01

Hey dawn, Miralax + Vicodin were great for me. You do need to take Miralax for a couple days before you see its full effects though. So don't stop early and also don't up the dose too much just because you don't see any immediate results :) But yeah, no need to be macho when it comes to painkillers, take them as needed and soon the worst of the pain will blow over.
I had mild leakage for a long time too and it was annoying. I'd agree that for the first 1-2 weeks the area should be left as dry as possible. Remember, I got that infection/abscess 2 weeks out, and you definitely don't want that. For the first couple of weeks, your best bet IMO is to put some cotton pads or panty liners in the underwear to soak it up. It's not perfect but it works. After a few weeks, you might consider some type of cream that's designed specifically for this type of irritation. My CRS gave me something called Calmoseptine (it's available OTC) that's designed for fistula leakage, and there's another popular one called Baza moisture barrier cream (used for incontinence usually). You might have to order them online or find a specialty medical supply vendor locally though as your run-of-the-mill drug store probably won't carry them. I got mine through Amazon, but then again I get pretty much everything through Amazon.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2010, 17:38

Thanks NG,
I have some of the calmoseptine in my big bag of butt stuff.
Thanks for the tips on the miralax too. I surely don't want to get too much...
How did you know you had an infection? What were you're symptoms? Did you have a fever of was there any smell to the discharge? I keep reading about foul smells with discharge being a symptom.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Oct 2010, 18:38

Hahaha I've actually stopped bringing my own "butt bag" with me everywhere I go. Guess that represents some sort of improvement, eh?
I didn't have a fever with my infection. Not much foul smell either, maybe just a little bit. It was mostly a spot with sharp localized pain and I noticed that the leakage was kind of yellowish. When I pushed on the swollen area near the surgical site, I could see a bit of stuff (just a tiny amount) kind of ooze out.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 27 Oct 2010, 18:55

NG,
You're just so informed about so many different health issues because of your own experiences!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Nov 2010, 19:50

Hey Dawn - yes , I did have spasms after my second LIS and a few extra (6) cuts in all ; )
The only thing that worked for me was Valium - ask for it !!!! My CRS and my GP had no problem prescribing it to me and it was a life-saver !!!!!!
I see that you had your surgery !!!! Congrats on your new "butty" and may you heal fast and forever and ever Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 03 Nov 2010, 08:16

Hey fissy,
I called them last week and they gave me some valium and you're right, it has been a life-saver. All has been well since:)
I remembered reading your old post and you having them after your second LIS, and that made me a little less nervous since you did heal,lol.
My crs did say he see's it all the time...
Thank you so much, I am enjoying my new butt!! Image

Postby StevePain » 03 Nov 2010, 10:59

You guys are sooooo lucky to get Valium, here in the UK it's virtually impossible to get hold of such a potent drug, we are just advised to take regular painkillers such as Paracetamol or Codeine and they don't even touch spasm pain (speaking from experience). Lets put it this way, I wouldn't want to go through those post-op spasms and pain ever again without the use of very very strong drugs, those are very painful memories..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 03 Nov 2010, 17:21

The post op spasms were terrible Steve, worse than just with the fissure because everything is so sore when it clenches Image
And your right about the pain killers, they don't really help much when it comes to spasms. I was so happy when the crs told me they were calling in the valium and even happier when it worked immediately. I didn't ask , I just called to see if it was common for this to happen and told them I was having problems sleeping. It really does help and It would be nice if it you guys could get it. He only gave me 30- 5mg's. I don't think they would just keep giving them to me,lol
I do know of people here in the US who can go to certain doctors who will give them about anything they ask for, though, which I totally disagree with. As NG wrote in his post , these things can be very addictive if taken for long periods, but very useful when used for the spasms which as you know are most of the time temporary. Thank God!

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?