Just Diagnosed Yesterday - Help!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Just Diagnosed Yesterday - Help!!

Postby Bobcat » 08 Jan 2011, 06:21

Hi Everyone
I've only just been diagnosed yesterday. I can safely say this is one of the most painful experiences of my life so far! Looking at some of the other posts I realise that I'm not the only one going through this and that my symptoms are the same as so many of you!
I wondered if anyone else feels exhausted? I'm so tired and depressed it's ridiculous! I also seems to have pain in my back and round my kidneys, is this connected? I've been suffering with this for nearly 3 months now, so I suppose this is chronic now? What is LIS??
I have to have an examination under sedation in 8 weeks time and don't know what to expect (apart from pain!!) and don't know if I'll be ok for work next day?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks!
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Just Diagnosed Yesterday - Help!!

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2011, 08:51

Hey there,
Fissure's are mentally and physically exhausting. I'm not sure if your back pain can be associated with the fissure unless it may be because of your posture. I kind of leaned on my lower back during the time my fissure was really bad and that caused me some lower back pain.
Your fissure is considered chronic at three months. All fissures are chronic after 6 weeks by medical terms.
LIS is surgery that is done for fissures. It's called Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy - not sure about my spelling.
I had a fissure for 8 months and had LIS almost 3 months ago.
I'm not sure about your exam under sedation and if you'll be sore. I had exams without sedation during my fissure and they did make me sore. The last one I had before my surgery made me pretty sore and she didn't really even go in much before she seen it. I had a skin tag from my fissure and it really got irritated and swollen after exams. I had that removed with my LIS too.
Take care & Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully others who have had an exam under sedation can answer your question:)

Postby Bobcat » 08 Jan 2011, 09:32

Thanks Dawn, I'm just getting my head around all this! Have you used Instillagel? I've been given 11ml syringes and not sure if I'm supposed to use the whole dose in one go. One thing that I have found, because of taking the Docusate Sodium, I don't always get enough warning when I need the loo so I can't use the gel for relief!!
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Postby PaulsPain » 08 Jan 2011, 09:39

Do you know why they want to do the exam under anesthesia? I think they do it when they are not able to get a good look of what is going on in the office.
I have had two exams under anesthesia. In both cases the reason was looking for an abscess. My first back in 2006 I was having massive drainage. It turned out to be from the fissure. I woke up and was given a prescription for Nefedipine orally. And I felt great afterwards since I think stretching the sphincter muscle out helped with the spasms. The Nefedipine is what finally healed my fissure to a point where I could live with it for years.
I had another exam under anesthesia in Sept 2010. This time I did have an abscess and a fistula. So I woke up with an incsion and a draining seton.
I was just diagnosed with crohn's so that is what is causing my issues.
Before hand though I would find out what is the main reason for the exam.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Bobcat » 08 Jan 2011, 09:53

Hi Paul
I think the main reason is because the fissure was so painful and actively bleeding that the surgeon didn't want to disturb it. They also want to check me because my dad suffers from polyps in the colon that turn cancerous if not removed in time, they want to make sure I haven't inherited this. They also mentioned ruling out inflammable bowel disease, which is apparently totally different to IBS which I already suffer from. Suppose I'll find out all these answers out in 8 weeks........eeeeep! Image
Bobcat
Salt Bather