Just came back from surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just came back from surgery

Postby alpha » 02 Jul 2011, 08:46

Yeah, but it's weekend and holiday! I have to wait until tuesday...
I haven't seen another greenish dischrge again yet but now i am not even sure even that yellow discharge is normal one. Why do i feel like it's pus? It smells bad.... I thought pus is white color but maybe i am wrong.
Should i wait until Tuesday or should i try some urgent care?
I dont have much pain but some itching now....
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 09:32

My fistula wasn't particularly painful, but it did itch a lot. If it smells bad, it's almost certain to be an infection. If it was me, I wouldn't wait for tuesday, I would go and get some antibiotics.
Pus can be yellow - my fistula leaked yellow pus.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby alpha » 02 Jul 2011, 11:35

ok, I just went to the urgent care and have the on-call doctor take a look.
He said there is some yellow-whitish discharge. He took a sample of it for test. He said everything looks fine.
He also did digital exam but couldn't feel any abscess.
According to him, generally, nothing is wrong. I told him about the greenish discharge too. But told me not to worry about it.
I asked him if I still need to see my CRS next week but he said no. He just told me to see my PCP and check out the test result of that discharge sample he collected.
I told him about the smell... (I wanted him to take a smell of the discharge but I couldn't force him :-) )
Then he said that due to the nature of this particular area, it's hard to say anything by smell... (Mine does not smell like any stool but something else though...)
Anyway he prescribed some anti-biotics just for precaution.
What do you guys think? Is this still look like abscess??? Do I still need to see the CRS???
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 12:21

That's great you've been seen by someone and wonderful you are on antibiotics! At least if it is an infection, they will get rid of it.
If it is an abcess, or fistula, antibiotics will not help. Possibly in the next few days you will find out more, as if it's just an infection, the antibiotics will clear it up. If it is still leaking and there is a smell, it's a possible abcess/fistula.
If it was me I would wait a couple of days and see your CRS if you are still having discharge.
If you just saw someone "general", ie not a CRS, then they don't really know what they are looking for. I told my gp I had a fistula, first she said "what do you want me to do about it", then she examined me and said there was nothing there. It was there, and my crs confirmed it a while later.
Let's just hope it's a simple infection and the antibiotics clear it up.
Keep us posted!
val
King Fissure

Postby alpha » 02 Jul 2011, 14:42

Thanks. I just had that green discharge again. I think I definitely have something. I guess I am seeing my CRS next week.
Anyway Val, what kind of smell am I looking for? Anya bad smell is bad?
Also, how do you tell pus from normal discharge?
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby alpha » 02 Jul 2011, 18:47

ok, guys...
Here is the picture of my discharge. It's somewhat gross so only if you are ready...
click here to see the pic
What do you guys think?
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby val » 03 Jul 2011, 02:07

In my opinion that is most definitely pus.
I cant explain the smell - kind of "gone off?" I suppose - but I knew it wasn't right, and it stopped once I was on the antibiotics.
I would see the CRS, if only to put your mind at rest.
Have you started the ABs yet? They take a while to kick in, but if it is just an infection in the wound it should clear it up.
Is that discharge coming from one place - like a little hole? Is it painful? Or is it from the whole wound?
val
King Fissure

Postby alpha » 03 Jul 2011, 14:01

Thanks Val for the advice.
I actually sent this picture to my sister who is a doctor and she consulted with a surgeon. They said this is not a pus nor infection but normal discharge. I told them that this thing is tacky and then they said that this is not pus but mucus. They even told me that it's not necessary to take antibiotics...
As long as my pain is not getting worse, or the amount of discharge increases, I am ok according to them.
So for now, I will see what happens without antibiotics until I get that test result...
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby val » 03 Jul 2011, 14:10

Oh, that's great news that your sister's a doc and she said it was ok! That must put your mind at rest!
It just looked like what mine looked like when it was infected -but everyone's different I suppose!
Hope it all clears up soon.
val
King Fissure

Postby alpha » 03 Jul 2011, 21:18

val wrote:Oh, that's great news that your sister's a doc and she said it was ok! That must put your mind at rest!
It just looked like what mine looked like when it was infected -but everyone's different I suppose!
Hope it all clears up soon.

Yeah she is a very smart girl so I trust her. She is one of few "good" doctor I guess because she gets a lot of compliments from her patients. Anyway, what color is that discharge in the picture to your eye? To me it's greenish, My sister says yellow and real infected one is a lot more greenish than that. Maybe it's her monitor or my eye???
alpha
Salt Bather