Botox done today.....fingers crossed!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Botox done today.....fingers crossed!

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Mar 2012, 12:23

Oh and I used the shower head after about 3 days to clean, but just be careful. I was only doing it very gently as you will (obviously!) be a bit tender down there. I think I had a bad experience after the botox, my own fault as I had said I would go back to work and was rushing when I hadn't had my first bm. Did they not tell you there may be some bleeding? I had a sheet with all the possible risks/side effects and aftercare etc :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andyk123 » 06 Mar 2012, 14:52

Thanks sue. I'm actualy feeling no pain at all, still not had first bm yet though, looks like its not gna happen today. I hope to god I do not tear.
The registrar told me to expect some blood, wasn't given a sheet though. She seemed confident it would work though.
Hope you are doing ok.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Fprincess » 07 Mar 2012, 10:05

Hiya, just seen this forum.
I have had Two years ago and had a lateral sphinctotomy last year in a AF I still suffered pretty badly after my LS and was given creams to ease the AF which only work short term. I seen my consultant last Tuesday and he booked me in immediately on Monday for Botox. I gave no problems with my consultant at all I have an open appointment with him and if I need to see him I contact gis secretary and get the next available appointment. I'm very grateful for this as I couldn't imagine how you feel with having your appointments pushed back.
I had Botox on Monday and they found a second fissure I gad Botox in both, I was meant to return back to work today but didn't have a bm till
this morning and it was very painful and passed a lot of blood again :-( I'm hoping the cream I'm using helps heal but I'm not getting my hopes up as I've had this problem over four years. As for your incontinence I haven't had a problem with it only gad a problem with wind and not really having control over it which is rather embaressing at 29. And I'm also on my third bath of the day so had to take the day off work again which isn't great. How would think that a problem so small can cause do much pain.......also I find a hot water bottle helps with the spasms if you just gently lay on it :-S
Fprincess

Topics: 1

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Mar 2012, 11:08

Hey fprincess, I hope you are ok. Andy, hows things now? Is it working yet? Hope you're doing ok. I'm not too bad, hadn't had pain for days but bled again yesterday. Almost felt like when I dabbed there was a sharp pain on the outside. I can't see anything but hope theres not one externally now too! Haven't had a bm today though so its calmed down alot :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby andyk123 » 13 Mar 2012, 15:36

well i had my first bm about 2 days after the botox and it was really painful..
i dont know if it was the bm that retore me, or the examination. seems like im going through similar to what you went through sue
the muscle has been really really tight. i think the botox may only just be starting to relax the muscle, but its still tight. im hoping it loosens more otherwise i think i have made a mistake getting it done.
i had gone about 8 weeks with not much pain, and the surgeon said it was healing. i have been in a lot of pain since i had it done now. it has only been 1 week though so early days. im not going back to work until next week, my gp has signed me off.
hoping it improves..feelin pretty shitty though!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Mar 2012, 16:38

Aw I'm sorry to hear that Andy, I think you have done the right thing by not going back to work though. I definitely went back too soon! The botox normally takes effect between a week and 2 weeks so it will take effect soon hopefully. I have every sympathy with you. I am going through a bit of a rough patch with mine again, its more niggly pain now rather than bad pain though. I don't know which is worse really as I'm not horrendously bad but not 100% sorted! Seem to be stuck at this stage! I reckon if I stopped the rectogesic I may be in trouble though. I am seeing my doctor next week (about a different issue) so I have set myself that date to decide whether I am going private or sticking with the nhs.
I really hope things start to improve for you. Hang in there, it will get better even though it may seem really painful. It took a long time for me to feel better. Keep us updated on how you are getting on :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 16:47

I didn't realize there was a delay in the botox taking effect!
I always assumed you left the office with a numb sphincter.
Andy, so sorry you are having such a set back!
do you have a topical you can use til the botox kicks in?
You know I must admit, I've been using my daughter's neosporin the last couple days, as it has a numbing agent in it.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby andyk123 » 21 Mar 2012, 11:19

well it seems the botox has kicked in. 13 days after i had the injection, i have noticed the muscle has relaxed quite a lot.
have been pain free since (since monday), and have had about 5 painfree bm where it came out fairly easily.
was at first regretting the botox but now starting to have a bit of hope. if it stays like this for 3 months then fingers crossed it will heal.
hope everyone else is doing well.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 21 Mar 2012, 11:32

That's awesome Andy!
Good to hear, as I will probably be faced with that decision next week... to botox or not to botox, that is the question.
; )
It's all so dramatic/traumatic.
:D
Glad you are feeling better.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby andyk123 » 21 Mar 2012, 11:42

workingonit wrote:That's awesome Andy!
Good to hear, as I will probably be faced with that decision next week... to botox or not to botox, that is the question.
; )
It's all so dramatic/traumatic.
:D
Glad you are feeling better.
-Tanya

its a tough decision to make. i had 8 weeks fairly painfree before my botox injection, and so i nearly cancelled it. Apparantly it had not healed though, so in all likelihood it probably would have torn again.
in answer to your question before.. i do have topical cream but i wasnt able to get any in. every thing was very tight and swollen after the injection. a doctor did tell me that the botox works straight away..but that just isnt true. i have since read that whilst the botox starts to work straight away, it takes some time for it to weaken the muscle. for me it took 13 days, but i presume everyone is different.
i dont know how long you have had your fissure, and how well you are doing? but if you are at a point where you feel things arent improving then i say go for the botox. the actual procedure isnt bad, it just seems that the examination can lead to a retear.
still early days for me but i will keep you updated how i get on.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist