Hello.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello.

Postby -lee- » 15 Dec 2011, 14:38

Hello everyone, my name is Lee and this is my story so far.
I have been suffering on and off with an anal fissure for nearly nine years now. It took me a good six years of embarrassment before visiting a doctor about the problem, who after doing a painful rectal exam told me there was nothing wrong with me. His procedure involved sticking his finger as far up as possible, twisting it and then showing me the finger saying, "Look, no blood. You are fine." This being one of the most painful things that has ever happened to me, coupled with the extreme pain which followed, put me off seeing a doctor for another year.
Eventually, the ongoing pain, pouring blood and continuous "afterburn" was too much, so I booked an appointment with another doctor from a different surgery. Fortunately, this doctor was more understanding and definitely more gentle! She prescribed me with Rectogesic, which had little affect other than extreme headaches and heart palpitations. I went back to the doctor again, and I was proscribed Anoheal, which did not have any negative side effects, but did nothing for the actual anal fissure either.
Finally, I was given an appointment to visit a colorectal surgeon, which led to a examination under anaesthetic and botox injections.
This was ten days ago.
Without trying to sound too dramatic, these have been the worst ten days of my life. I have been in absolute agony whilst going to the toilet, and even more so afterwards. The pain got so bad, that five days after surgery I went to A&E because I was convinced it was infected. This was not only due to the pain, but also the light yellow discharge. The eight hours waiting in A&E just led to a couple of examinations, a blood test which came back normal and advice from three doctors that "anal fissure do hurt, you know."
Yesterday, I went back to my GP, who examined the fissure, and prescribed me with antibiotics to fight off any possible infection I may have due to the discharge seeping from the wound. However, today has been another painful one with new developments. My discharge has changed colour from yellow to brown, and the pain has now changed slightly. I still feel it within the usual places, however there is now shooting pains in my bladder and in my penis. What is that all about?!!!!
It is now ten days from my original surgery, and the pain and more is still apparent. The fissure is open and seeping and going to toilet is exactly the same as before. When is it all going to stop?! It seems like I am never going to be able to get past this. The surgeon was convinced that I would have a painless recovery within three days, and be able to go to toilet without much problem.
This is how I have come across this forum today. I was doing a search online for personal experiences and tips, and this site came up. I do apologise for venting, but it is good to be able to type it all down in a place where people will be able to understand and possibly give tips.
-lee-
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Hello.

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 14:45

Hey there,
I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and please feel free to vent all you need to. You have definitely came to a place where others understand!
I am sorry for your pain and not seeing any improvements with the Botox. It seems that can happen and isn't all that uncommon. Many folks in this forum have had Botox and went on to have the LIS surgery. I had surgery over a year ago. It truly gave me my quality of life back. Hang in there! There is hope and this won't be forever, although it feels like it when you are pain. Image

Postby -lee- » 15 Dec 2011, 15:22

Hello Dawn,
Thank you for your reply. It is honestly a relief to be able to find a place where people understand what I am going through.
I am currently soaking up all of the information I can find throughout the forums.
I feel reluctant now at present to go through any other type of surgery but will be looking at my options over the next month or so.
Thank you for the welcome too. :)
-lee-
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue1962 » 15 Dec 2011, 16:44

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum. You deserve a medal!! 9 years of suffering, I can't even imagine Image I have been suffering for three years and I am having LIS in January. I don't really know what to tell you about the Botox Image but others on here have had it, and I am sure they will chime in. I am thinking you are in the UK from the meds you are on. I would take the AB and keep the diet soft as I am sure you know how to do after suffering for nine years. Do you take Movicol?? It is a miracle worker. Lots of water and soak that butt!!! Keep reading the threads, lots of good info on here and vent all you want to. This forum has saved my sanity!! Sorry you are suffering Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby dwarfs8 » 15 Dec 2011, 20:07

i really hate doctors who have absolutely no compassion to their patients and even say things that totally \"yangtze fluid\" us off! Unfortunately the world is filled with such doctors who are smart, yet lack of a heart and only eyes for the money they earn.
Good thing now u r safe in this forum! Ask all sorts of questions you want, u probably is a good candidate for LIS. You may like to see a thread "my success story"
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 15 Dec 2011, 20:53

Definitely read as much as you can. There's tons of information in here. I have heard quite a few folks in here say that it took a week to a week and a 1/2 for the Botox to kick in. I read a thread recently where someone had said 2 weeks.... Hopefully it will kick in soon and you will get some relief!!

Postby -lee- » 16 Dec 2011, 07:26

Sue Dwarf, and Dawn,
Thank you so much for your replies. It is much appreciated.
Dawn, I am reading as much as I can and this site is such a relief.
Sue, I will be looking into Movicol and will be interested to read about your LIS experience.
Dwarf, I will read the success story thread most definitely. LIS is the next step, but at moment I am too nervous.
Anyhow today feels slightly better but am taking it one day at a time. :)
Lee
-lee-
Fibre Addict