What worked for me / What didn't work

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

What worked for me / What didn't work

Postby BillUltra » 28 Apr 2012, 19:30

First what didn't work:
(1) Aloe vera gel from the plant, up my rectum, caused extreme pain and swelling, and no healing.
(2) Fiber, which was recommended by my doctor. Conysl hurt my stomach, Metamucil made my bm's too hard and bulky.
(3) Bran cereal made my stools too loose, causing my sphincter to spasm
(4) Okra caused my sphincter to spasm
(5) Miralax made my stools burn like fire
What finally is working:
(1) Lots and lots and lots of water
(2) Nifedipine/lidocaine/hydrocortisone cream 3 times a day as prescribed by my doc
(3) Shallow baths at least 3 times a day and after every bm
(4) No caffeine and no meat at all
(5) Apple juice in the morning instead of OJ
(6) Oatmeal with honey for breakfast
(7) For lunch: one legume (butterbeans, black eyed peas, lima beans, pinto beans, OR new potatos) and 2 soft green veggies (turnip greeens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans)
Image For supper: BROWN RICE coated in olive oil (I think is the biggest help) with green pea or split pea soup over the top of it for supper
(9) For dessert: a banana and half a glass of prune juice
(10) One Colace stool softener at bedtime.
Finally getting relief, so I just wanted to share with everyone and hopefully it can help someone else.
Last edited by BillUltra on 01 May 2012, 09:54, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited to add that I pour olive oil on the brown rice, and to add that I am currently eating no meat or eggs
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Re: What worked for me / What didn't work

Postby workingonit » 28 Apr 2012, 20:05

How long have you been on this diet Bill?
So glad it is working for you.
Do you have to put the cream mixture very far up?
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe for healing!
I hope having had the LIS before leads to a quicker healing this time around.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby BillUltra » 28 Apr 2012, 22:48

I started this regimen Tuesday and got immediate results with the perfect stool Wednesday morning and each morning since. My wound has made significant progress healing, and in fact I am in no pain for the first time in 5 weeks, even when passing gas and having a bm. I even rode my motorcycle for a half hour today, which lifted my spirits even more.
I put the ointment as far up as is comfortable, which is a little bit further each time.
I am so grateful to have achieved these results as I was just about at the end of my rope! I'm sure many of you know that feeling.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Neen » 07 May 2012, 17:39

Thanks for sharing....it helps to see what others find success with.I have had brown rice, but not coated in olive oil...great idea. I hope you are feeling hopeful now. This is a trying recovery and I am trying to take it one day at a time. But I really want to motorboat a big plate of spaghetti, a large pizza, etc...lol...
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 1497 » 21 Jan 2013, 07:33

Good Morning Bill
Now that you are healed are you still taking the \
(2) Nifedipine/lidocaine/hydrocortisone cream 3 times a day as prescribed by my doc
both of the above in your daily routine? Also are you taking about magnesium and or anyone else how much is a safe amount of magnesium to take as a vitamin supplement daily?
my doc told me 250 mg but I am wondering if more can safely be taken.
thanks
Deleted User 1497

Postby rochelle1210 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:08

Good morning to all, sometimes putting too many creams on at one time can cause more harm that good. Sometimes all of those creams can go against each other
What didn't work for me:
Prep. H (any of them)
Aloe Vera from the plant
Hydrocodone
Some type of foam my doctor gave me
nitroglyerin ointment (at first)
I think when Iused the nitroglyrcin ointment with the hydrocortoze cream and then aloe vera plant, I think that was just tooo much going on and it made everything worse. I mean, I was literally ON FIRE!
I went to CVS yesterday in some kinda of pain but I spoke to the pharmarcist and told him about my EXTREME burning and stinging pain and he showed me heaven!!! Brand name: Nupercainal or their brand: Hemmorrhoidal & Topical Analgesic Ointment Dibucaine 1%.
What worked
Sitz bath - I added a little witch hazel. Total calmed my rectum nerves. What not to try is ESPOM Salt. Oh my, SALT burns.
CVS version of Nupercainal - almost took the burning and the pain away within 5 minutes. I am sitting right now in no pain.
Nitroglyric ointment - If you use too much of this ointment, it will cause more burning. So I reduced the amount and I only placed it on the fissure.
I used the restroom this morning and no blood but the pain has been reduced from 100 to probably 30%. Before this regimen every time I used the restroom, I would have to bite down on my towel because it would hurt so bad. I am also increasing my water intake.
I hope this helps someone with some relife.
rochelle1210

Postby BillUltra » 24 Jan 2013, 10:52

perfecteater wrote:Good Morning Bill
Now that you are healed are you still taking the \
both of the above in your daily routine? Also are you taking about magnesium and or anyone else how much is a safe amount of magnesium to take as a vitamin supplement daily?
my doc told me 250 mg but I am wondering if more can safely be taken.
thanks

No I discontinued use of the Colase and all creams and ointments for anal application when I knew I was healed.
I am not, nor have I ever taken magnesium supplements. I get plenty through my diet, foods like dates (still eating them and plenty of them as the perfect substitute for desserts and sweet junk foods) and squash, and if I'm not mistaken sweet potatoes, which I added to my diet after I healed. I do take a multivitamin.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ring of fire » 26 Jan 2013, 14:22

Hi Bill,
What strength of nipedipine and lidocaine? I have .2 and 1.5 but I haven't seen any relief after 2 weeks. My fissure is huge and has been around for many many a year now. LIS didn't work for me but...not the best circumstances in my case.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby BillUltra » 29 Jan 2013, 10:47

I do not recall the strength, but I do know after several weeks at one strength, another doc wrote me a prescription for a stronger mix. I hate it that the LIS did not work for you, but the ointment alone will not work either. I believe that DIETARY DISCIPLINE is the real key, combined with eliminating caffiene and any medications that have constipating effects (research everything you take), as well as the frequent warm baths to improve blood flow to that area. I think the 2 main things you need are soft, free flowing, non-acidic stools, and plenty of healing blood flow to your anal area.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby AF Angel » 29 Jan 2013, 18:08

Hi Bill,
Thanks much for sharing...
I suffered for 4 months and I am on the healing path now. Since you have healed and it is almost 9 months since this post, Could you please tell me about the routine you followed after you healed ? I don't want to make a single mistake.. I am literally scared about going back, every single day ...
1. How long did you continue the careful fissure diet ?
2. How long did you wait to start normal food after healing (I mean anything, even an egg) ?
3. how long did you suffer and did you have LIS ? just to compare to my situation....
4. How long did you continue the warm baths after healing ?
5. How is the overall anal health and BMs now ? Is it completely back to how it was before AF ?
6. Did you take any type of precautions for a while after healed ?
I am sorry I am asking so many questions.. but I would be really grateful to really know from a person of experience. Any other advice or precautions to be taken will also be really appreciated. I just want to eat a BIG meal right away, but patiently waiting until I get the complete confidence, but after 4 months I do not want to make a single mistake, at any cost ... waiting for your reply and thanks again ...
- AFA
AF Angel
Salt Bather

Topics: 5