2 1/2 weeks after fistulotomy with seton

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: 2 1/2 weeks after fistulotomy with seton

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Aug 2013, 15:11

Hi Rich!
Is the tightening procedure painful or just a bit uncomfortable?......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 11 Aug 2013, 15:15

I only had a loose seton .mine was uncomfortable.and a little sore but got better with time.I imagine you may feel a pinch and a little sore with a cutting seton as it goes throgh the muscle ect it then heals behind it '.but it has to be tightend to do its job and move the tract to a shallower position
Last edited by richibeno on 12 Aug 2013, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Diamond » 11 Aug 2013, 18:48

hey Richi! how have you been? hope things are back to normal now?!
and yes - your description is accurate - a draining seton doesn't need tightening (that's what i have), a cutting seton does - and the hopes with the cutting seton is that it cuts through the tract slowly so that the tissue has a chance to heal without causing any damage to the muscle.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby kkmark » 12 Aug 2013, 09:42

ETO - Thank you this will be my firts tightening so i guess feeling nauseated n worried as i didn't touch the area till now after surgery just dab to clean after BM and sitz bath but i guess the thought of doctor gng touch is worrying me :) I will let u know how it went Thank u
Rich- Thanks for the info buddy yes he did say he has to tighten it every few weeks :) so which one is better in faster healing loose seton or cuttin seton i don't want to go thru anotehr surgery :( right now i don't feel anything down thr when i sit or even after BM only sometimes i touch the thread other than that no feeling n no drainage :)
Diamond- hope the cutting seton works i really don't want ot go thru another surgery i know how u feel abt multiple surgeries i want it to be out of my body :). Hope ur surgery this Thurs will be the final one....
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby kkmark » 17 Aug 2013, 10:48

Hello guys
Omg had my seton tightened it didn't hurt when he did it but after few min I can feel the pain if I move it hurt I had checkup at 12 thought I can go back to workwow no I had to go home lucky my hubby was with me so came back home with him but today feel much better hope by Monday I feel back to normal with no pain.
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 17 Aug 2013, 14:41

Aw Kathy,
Sorry to hear that it was painful for you....but just try to remember it's just helping you get rid of that nasty fistula once & for all!
Hopefully, things will calm down for you after a few days once you've got used to it a bit more. Just hang in there and try to stay positive & take as much time as you can to relax and heal.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Diamond » 17 Aug 2013, 15:06

Sorry to hear that you're in pain Kathy. Definitely take it easy and hopefully the pain will subside after a few days. Are the sitz baths helping? I find them to be very soothing. I actually find using sea salt feels better than epsom salts.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby kkmark » 17 Aug 2013, 18:27

ETO thanks buddy yes I did sitz bath twice n I feel the pain is subsiding I will take it slow n eat high fiber food.
Diamond I feel a little better than yesterday hope I can go back to work on Monday.
One thing I have question is the wipes. Can I use flush able wipes with aloe n vitamin will it irritate me. Please any suggestion will help. I have been using pampers sensitive baby wipes which I can't flush
Thanks guys
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Diamond » 18 Aug 2013, 09:44

I don't advise using any wipes other than pampers or huggies unscented baby wipes. I personally prefer the huggies natural unscented brand. Even though technically you cant flush baby wipes.. I always do.. just dont try to flush multiple wipes. 1-2 are okay and shouldn't clog the toilet. I find all the flushable wipes have scents and other ingredients that may potentially irritate the area. You can also moisten non woven gauze with saline and wipe with that.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Diamond » 18 Aug 2013, 09:47

This is the brand I use: http://m.costco.com/Huggies%C2%AE-Natural-Care%C2%AE-Plus-Baby-Wipes.product.11708781.html
I find they're much better than the pampers sensitive wipes.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?