Sitz bath

causes more pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sitz bath

Postby sotiredofthis » 31 Mar 2014, 18:10

Does anyone feel more pain after taking a sitz bath? It feels like sitting there is opening up the fissure and just causing more pain when I get up. Is it just me?

Thanks!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Re: Sitz bath

Postby Scientist2516 » 01 Apr 2014, 07:23

No, it's not just you. I took two sitz baths when I had my fissure. The first was OK, but did not really do any good. The second was agonizing, and the pain went on for hours afterwards. I know a lot of people here like them, but neither sitz nor whole-body baths were any good at all for me.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby William2 » 01 Apr 2017, 12:17

I've been taking sitz baths in the bathtub, but wanted to try out the toilet based one. Besides the time and energy savings, I like the cleaning without having to use paper. That doesn't happen with bathtubs ones because your cheeks get pushed together. I've used one before, but that was for hemorrhoids. I've been worried that the toilet-based on would be bad for fissures for the same reason that donut cushions are: they spread your cheeks and pull on the anal area. However, it seems like most people here are ok with them.

I tried the toilet one today and it did seem to slightly hurt. Unfortunately, I think I'm going have to stay away from them.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Postby struggling79 » 01 Apr 2017, 15:46

Are you doing a sitz bath in your tub or using one that attaches to a toilet? I can't use the toilet one for more than 5-10 minutes because it puts me in an awkward/uncomfortable position. Sometimes sitting in the tub can be uncomfortable for me, too, so I will sit on a washcloth or small hand towel.
struggling79
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5