is acidic poop harmful?

or just irritating?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

is acidic poop harmful?

Postby msimon » 18 Aug 2014, 00:00

Just wondering what you all think about this. I go through times where things are pretty acidic and I don't know why. I was wondering if you think this actually harms the fissure or is just irritating. :thanx:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: is acidic poop harmful?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Aug 2014, 02:00

Hi,
Acidic poops cause me a lot of excessive soreness and irritation but they never led to any further damage of my fissure as such. I'd say there's evidently something in your diet causing this issue, so I'd just have a good check to see if you are eating too many vinegary/ spicy or citrus based foods and try to eliminate whatever is causing it. If there's one thing I've learned - it's that you really do have to create a nicely formed but soft stool to help assist things - too hard or too runny do not help your bottom at all! GL :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby lefthanded » 18 Aug 2014, 02:48

I live with nothing but acidic stools! I had my entire colon and rectum removed in 2002, and a reservoir created out of the ileum and then reattached to the sphincter (it's called a j-pouch). Without a colon to neutralize the stools, those of us who live with j-pouches can be prone to what is commonly and affectionately known as "butt burn." Keeping the skin clean and dry is critical in not allowing excoriation, or breakdown, of the soft skin of your behind.

Occasionally people who still have their colons experiences this when they have bouts of diarrhea. The reason it burns is that the colon has not had adequate time to finish the digestive process of dehydration of the stool and neutralizing of the acids. If you still have your large intestine, and have burning, it could be that you have an issue with rapid transit, and need to slow your digestive system down just a bit.
lefthanded
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Aug 2014, 10:56

Lefthanded - How do you slow your digestive system down?? I suffer from horrid IBS now & again, which prompts urgent runny BMs (particularly so first thing in the morning) - It's like I wake up with a stressed out tummy, which can make everything sore! Any thoughts? Are you still painting your beautiful pictures? :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Savaici » 18 Aug 2014, 13:57

Msimon, Here is a link on the forum where there is talk of acid making poop that you might like to look at: acidic-foods-t4001.html
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222