Waiting for LIS April 13th

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Waiting for LIS April 13th

Postby Elphie » 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

[left]I thought my story was unique I found out here it's not
I have been dealing with my fissure for almost a year, I've had hemmerhoids on and off for 16 yrs and figured my fissure was just a really bad one. I found out from the Internet, sites like this what my problem was, then began the long road to recovery I am still on today. I am currently waiting for LIS which is scheduled for april13. Here in Canada there r many hoops to jump thru before u can get surgery. I changed my diet first, then nifedipine ointment with lidocaine, this helps numb the area briefly but didn't help to heal, in November I had the much anticipated Botox injection, which made everything MUCH WORSE. By day 5 after Botox I was calling my CRS crying hysterically thru the entire call. Now, I am a tough lady, 42 yrs old, 3 kids no pain releiffor childbirth, but this monster CRIPPLES me! I had to wait 3 months after Botox to see doc again, he still trying to convince me not to have surgery! I then asked if he could do it, was he any good, had he had successbefore, etc. He replied he has not had any problems has done the op thousands of times but that they don't do it often anymore because of all the other methods of healing available, none of which worked for me. I insisted and now I wait.
I found this site yesterday, glad u r here, for months I have been looking at the anal fissure self help page but have reread those old posts so many times I know it off by heart. One of my best tips is TELL PEOPLE, it cuts down on embarrassment and almost everyone I've I've told knows someone who had one and u get alot more understanding when u can't join everyone in regular activities becuz of your burning ring of fire. I even get the special chair at the dentist so there is no pressure when I sit thru a cleaning ( I was skipping these until I finally explained my issue with the receptionist who told me they have an extra padded chair for people with sore backs and such). 
I am terrified of surgery but I know I need my life back so gotta risk it. I love there is somewhere to voice my fears, get advice, and feel like I'm not alone.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Re: Waiting for LIS April 13th

Postby Bumbutt » 10 Mar 2011, 00:31

I'm glad you found this forum, so you will get useful advice and not feel alone! Everyone here knows the pain you are experiencing, and the physical and mental trials of having a fissure.
Congrats on making it to the stage of scheduling the LIS! That is a big step. Hopefully you can tell us all how it goes for you!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Mar 2011, 08:18

Hi Elphie,
I'm waiting for LIS too, March 23rd. This is an awful thing to go through, but you're not alone.
Have you tried taking Miralax? It has been the only thing that's taken away my pain and prevented new tears consistently. It's definitely worth a try, maybe you can somewhat heal up before the surgery and then you'll have less healing to do afterwards?
Anyway, best wishes!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 08:59

I will get some miralax asap! It seems to help so many! I currently take full dose of metamucil three times a day and docusate twice a day, tons of water, and ibuprofen and robaxacet. I am scared about surgery but it's like I told the doc; " I don't care if I have to wear a diaper I just want the pain to stop!" my kids need their mother back nit this screaming angry woman!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 09:01

I hope your LIS goes well, I love the success stories gives us all hope!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Mar 2011, 09:29

I hear you, I have three kids too and I know I've been anxious and grouchy at times.
Careful with that Metamucil, it has made things worse for a lot of us here, including myself. It makes the stools too big to pass without causing more tears. You could try Benefiber, it doesn't seem to have that effect.
Lately I've given up on fiber supplements altogether. I just try to get fiber in my diet, through fruits, veggies, etc. It isn't that hard and I don't pay attention to a certain number of grams of fiber per day, I just make sure that most things I eat contain some fiber. Between that and the Miralax, I feel almost normal.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 10:19

will definately try benefiber and miralax I am willing to try ANYTHING. I even tried pecans, apparently eating them has helped a few ppl didn't work for me but it was cheap and easy to try
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Elphie » 11 Mar 2011, 15:57

They changed my surgery to April 28th :(
15 extra days... Bummer
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 11 Mar 2011, 23:08

Oh, Elphie, that sucks. 15 days extra does sound like an eternity, I know I'd be really upset if I got bumped back for some reason. In fact if they called and said they could do it Monday, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
I'm sure it probably wasn't because your surgeon is vacationing in the tropics though--they probably just had some more serious cases come up.
I hope you can find some relief with supplements or Miralax in the meantime. Or get your hands on some pot. Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Elphie » 12 Mar 2011, 09:07

Started benefiber and miralax last night, gonna try the pot too but I'm gonna wait til night, after kids in bed, ppl say it will help me sleep so worth a try! I'll let u know if it helped! I also have some of the magic Mexico cream on the way, end of the month. O I hope something works! I have alot more hope than I had five days ago thanks to this site and all of u! I'm even getting along better with my husband! Thanks
Elphie
Fissureologist